PDA

View Full Version : What is Studio Liverpool up to nowadays?

Frances_Penfold
31st August 2008, 01:41 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong-- but didn't Sony let the F1 license expire and thus be bought up by Codemasters?

With two PSP Wipeout games already released and a PS3 iteration... nearly finished, supposedly... and due out... soon, we hope... do we have any indications about what ELSE Studio Liverpool is doing these days?

At some point I saw a rumor that SL was working on a PSP version of Little Big Planet but otherwise, I haven't read or heard anything.

cybrpnk
31st August 2008, 03:40 AM
WipEout HD DLC???

Just a thought...nothing official...

RJ O'Connell
31st August 2008, 03:42 AM
Right now, they're all Wipeout, all the time.

Though seeing them branch out with a new game/series of games would not be unrealistic within the next year or two.

Frances_Penfold
31st August 2008, 04:54 AM
This is pure speculation-- but I would guess there's significant NON-Wipeout work going on already.

Wipeout HD is done minus some "technical issues."

Wipeout HD DLC may or may not ever be created/released (depends on Wipeout HD sales, or so says Sony).

The PSP already has two Wipeout releases, with the second one tanking at retail.

So what Wipeout project do you think there considerable work force could be working on? Yet another PS3 Wipeout?

mdhay
31st August 2008, 07:48 AM
Maybe they're doing another Colony Wars?
/speculation

Hellfire_WZ
31st August 2008, 08:25 AM
Oh if only! I would be the happiest man alive if that happened :)

mdhay
31st August 2008, 08:34 AM
...And if they do, I hope we can make our own Fighter.

Magnatech Sha'har anyone?

cybrpnk
31st August 2008, 09:13 AM
Rollcage anyone???

:)

AG-wolf
31st August 2008, 11:34 AM
You tease, good sir.

DawnFireDragoon
31st August 2008, 11:48 AM
a new colony wars would be amazing, i loved the trilogy on psone, but not if it delayed a new 'real' wipeout.

Linchpin
31st August 2008, 05:18 PM
They should make a new Wipeout Game ,at the start or dawn of Anti-Gravity Craft , Pierre Belmondo ?
And a more grungy / cyber punk art styled game . Not like 2097 , similar but different .
And it should be called ..

*drumroll..

..Wipeout : Genesis

...*ba dum tsss*

Sony Studio Liverpool , hire me now!:+

swift killer
31st August 2008, 05:23 PM
grunge/punk and wipeout just doesnt go :S

Linchpin
31st August 2008, 06:06 PM
You don't know what cyberpunk is ? , its not punk / grunge music , it is an art style .
Wipeout 2097 was cyberpunk-ish .
It is the manga movies / novels of the early 90's that defined the genre , think ghost in the shell , patlabor etc . It is like semi post apocalyptic future . :/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk <-Read

Medusa
31st August 2008, 07:31 PM
Whatever SL is up to... let me just say, while I'm actually thinking of it, that I adore all the guys and gals from there that have worked on all the Wipeouts so far. I spout a lot more here about what I don't like from the recent games, but truth be told, I'm very thankful there is any wipeouts still being made at all.

Thanks guys for all the awesome work.:+:+

Lance
31st August 2008, 11:14 PM
I'd rather see steampunk WipEout. :)

RJ O'Connell
1st September 2008, 01:35 AM
I wouldn't find a new puzzler game from SL to be very far fetched.

Frances_Penfold
1st September 2008, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't find a handheld version of Big Little Planet that far-fetched either, as was rumored some months ago (never confirmed or denied to my knowledge). They must have LOTS of experience with PSP hardware.

I'm biased for sure-- I'd love to see SL work more on handheld games beyond F1 and Wipeout :rock

Handhelds FTW :)

Harvai
1st September 2008, 11:27 AM
Rollcage anyone???

A new PSP Rollcage!? That would be SO awesome!

omega329
1st September 2008, 02:44 PM
I'd rather see steampunk WipEout. :)

GOD YES :rock
Ever seen "the league of extraordinay gentlemen"? *imagines a wipeout craft like the car in that*
Steampunk, the future with class...

Rapier Racer
1st September 2008, 03:27 PM
Rollcage anyone???

I'd take a large slice of that pie! High def Rollcage is like a wet dream :p One of the few racing games with cars and wheels that isn't boring as hell. Never mind the PSP I want it on PS3!

Lance
1st September 2008, 04:52 PM
GOD YES :rock
Ever seen "the league of extraordinay gentlemen"? *imagines a wipeout craft like the car in that*
Steampunk, the future with class...

I can see it now, the future: Multiple downward pointing small steam jets on the bottom of the racecraft to provide lift, big steam thrusters at the back running at pressures of 4000 pounds per square inch [don't talk to me about Newton/meters yet; this is StEampunk. Old school.] supplied by warmfusion boilers. Oh yeah!

eLhabib
1st September 2008, 05:18 PM
and all that copper plated with big nuts of course ;)

stin
1st September 2008, 06:01 PM
Rollcage will be awesome for psp! if they can.....

stevie:)

Lance
1st September 2008, 06:50 PM
and all that copper plated with big nuts of course ;)

Copper-plated!?!? Plated!? Mon dieu, monsieur! Mais non! Non, I say. We use the solid metal 'ere. :D

And we 'ave discovered the titanium!

And we use the large nuts only if we 'ave the vEry large wrench.

eLhabib
1st September 2008, 07:20 PM
:D
We use COPPER I say, because it rusts better. D'accord?

Lance
1st September 2008, 07:25 PM
Copper does not rust, m'sieu, it merely corrodes beautifully. :g

'Ave you not seen les roofs vertes, the beautiful green of the copper compounds from the action corrosive of the atmosphere, the very air containing the sulphur compounds from the burning of the soft coal? Si beau!

cybrpnk
1st September 2008, 08:48 PM
I'd take a large slice of that pie! High def Rollcage is like a wet dream :p One of the few racing games with cars and wheels that isn't boring as hell. Never mind the PSP I want it on PS3!

Amen my brother!!! Hallelu...erhem..yes yes...

Forget where I read this but I think I saw a possibilty of Rollcage being released on the PSN under the classic PSOne games...don't hold me to it...I think I read it somewhere...or it could have come to me in a dream...

But yes...as much as I envisioned WipEout in HD...Rollcage was the other game I would've loved to hit the next-gen...the possibilities are endless...imagine...1080 at 60fps...with some kinda physics engine imbued into it for the destruction and carnage...Havok maybe...

SL...I've been begging you since day one!!! Please secure the rights to Rollcage!!! There is so much potential here for another PS3 hit!!!

WipEout was to techno like Rollcage was to drum n bass...and I do love my drum n bass too...a lot...

On the note of the rights to Rollcage being lost or maybe it went along with Attention To Detail...isn't there some way we can petition for this game to be made??? Maybe under another name??? 'Cousin of WipEout...HD'...yes I suck at names...

eLhabib
1st September 2008, 08:56 PM
Lance, as much as I'd like to keep up this delightful conversation a) we are disturbing this thread - something I would be ok with, but you, monsieur, have a reputation to keep, and b) my frenglish isn't nearly on par with yours. Tres desolee :P

RJ O'Connell
1st September 2008, 09:17 PM
I think that when Psygnosis became Studio Liv they pretty much sold every franchise except Wipeout to other publishers.

I'm still incensed about the Throwback Games deal, they have promised a new Extreme-G for four years and yet it appears the company is just out to earn money from people buying old Acclaim titles in stores rather than actually bring the games into the next-gen. :- I wish EA could have picked up XG and Burnout in one package.

But back to Studio Liverpool...

Lance
1st September 2008, 09:27 PM
Le Habib, my reputation has always been of the sort more notorious than approved. :D

Linchpin
1st September 2008, 10:26 PM
OK thread talk , someone from Sony Liverpool answer us already jeez looweez haha .

And Lance , steampunk wipeout would be rad too . Or half steampunk/cyberpunk, you can imagine the birth of AG crafts being quite rugged , which would fit into it well .

Darkdrium777
1st September 2008, 11:14 PM
I wish for a Rollcage rebirth as well :)

DawnFireDragoon
2nd September 2008, 12:59 AM
so, hopefully at least one or a few of of the following:

1.wipeout pure/pulse ps2 port? (tops my list!!! i can't stress how much i want either one of these on ps2)

2.wipeout hd remake/new tracks - everyone is craving these already!!! lol.

3.a new rollcage (my preferance is console over portable, but i can see it working on the psp)

4.new colony wars (this would have to be on the ps3, the psone games looking amazing, so ps3 could do wonders)

5.wipeout ???? - the next game

Frances_Penfold
2nd September 2008, 02:47 AM
Aaaaand I just noticed that I said "Sony Liverpool" rather than "Studio Liverpool" in the title. I bet SL hates it when people do that :(

Lance
2nd September 2008, 04:44 AM
I changed it for you.

Linchpin
2nd September 2008, 06:04 AM
Lance is Hardcore!:eek

Frances_Penfold
2nd September 2008, 06:26 AM
Bless you, Lance :)

I was trying to figure out how to do it myself but figured I was out of luck! Omnipotent mod powers FTW!

Lance
2nd September 2008, 08:29 PM
Only Rob is omnipotent in the WZ: I am a mere mod. :)
I only do what I can even though I sometimes try to do more than I can. ;) :D

But I don't even try to beat Asa anymore. :eek

Asayyeah
3rd September 2008, 05:28 PM
and i don't even try to beat your purple bullet brick XL ;)

G'Kyl
8th September 2008, 07:36 AM
Because you came to realize that 'brick is beautiful'? :)

Rapier Racer
9th September 2008, 10:57 PM
Forget where I read this but I think I saw a possibilty of Rollcage being released on the PSN under the classic PSOne games...don't hold me to it...I think I read it somewhere...or it could have come to me in a dream...

You read that in OPS2 maybe? Because I read in that mag that Rollcage was indeed coming to PSN they even had the art for the original Rollcage on a UMD along with some other PS1 games. (Course we know they ain't on UMD) Of course, the information in the Official Playstation mag is not all highly credible in my opinion, they once claimed ATD were making a third Rollcage and said more detail would follow the next month, it never did, I guess that might have been around the time ATDs parent went bust though so maybe not OPMs fault.

I think those of us who wish SL were working on this, our dreams are futile because as you say SL don't own the rights and the people that do are a bunch of twats for locking the series away forever. :frown::frown::frown: