PDA

View Full Version : The Great British Beer Festival 2008

infoxicated
1st August 2008, 09:57 PM
Starts next week from Tuesday through to Saturday. I'll be going Tuesday night, Thursday night, and during the day on Friday. Saturday I might take off because, you know, my liver will thank me for it. :D :beer

http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=195496

Anyone else going?

// aside from Charlie ;)

Hellfire_WZ
1st August 2008, 10:05 PM
Oh bollocks... I was going during the day on Thursday as I'm going to Spain on the Friday. What times were you planning for Tuesday and Thursday?

infoxicated
1st August 2008, 10:24 PM
Evenings - I'm at work during the day. Allegedly, ;)

Hellfire_WZ
1st August 2008, 10:28 PM
Probably better I come on the Tuesday then. What time you getting there?

infoxicated
1st August 2008, 10:34 PM
Have to check in to my hotel on Tuesday after work, so I don't reckon I'll be there until seven-ish.

Hellfire_WZ
1st August 2008, 10:39 PM
Okay then, I'll get to Earls Court for seven and see where things go from there :)

RJ O'Connell
2nd August 2008, 02:33 AM
I send my condolences to both your livers in advance. ;)

AG-wolf
2nd August 2008, 03:50 AM
D: ... that's... beautiful ;_;

If they have them there, try:

Sam Adams - Boston Lager, Boston Ale, Summer Ale, Octoberfest, Winter Lager
Flying Dog - In-Heat Wheat, K-9 Cruizer, Road Dog
Sea Dog - Blueberry

KIGO1987
4th August 2008, 11:22 AM
Daaaaaammmnnn, ****! I wanna go to that. I guess with all the 21st's ive been going to ive been shitfaced enough this year, alot of fun though

The Smilies tell it all

:beer:nod+:beer:beer:beer:?+:beer:beer:beer:beer:b eer:dizzy

later on :burger:pizza:nod+:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

following day :blarg:turd:blarg:brickwall then the cycle starts over again.:nod

Rapier Racer
4th August 2008, 03:47 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to get pished, like one is needed :robot But aawww I don't like beer! Why can't we have the Great British Jack Daniels Festival :dizzy

(I know Jack is American, neeh neeh lol)

Hellfire_WZ
5th August 2008, 10:32 PM
BEER! :beer

**** me, was there lots of beer...

Didn't let up from the word go. We sampled beers from all over the British Isles of all sorts of strengths. Among others, there was a Scottish beer that challenged me called a Berserker, at 7.5%. Stayed British Isles for the most part, but we broadened out horizons later, sampling both German and American beers. One particular American beer (called Brooklyn Blast) took me by surprise for two reasons. It was actually really nice, and it was 8%! I got a pint...

Good thing I stayed away from the 12.5% they had on offer... :blarg

All in all, a bloody good night, and a nice glass as souvenir. Great seeing Rob again too ;) If I wasn't ****ing off to Spain on Friday, I'd definitely be down there again.

BEER! :beer

RJ O'Connell
5th August 2008, 11:44 PM
Any weird novelty varieties there Charlie?

infoxicated
6th August 2008, 08:07 AM
It was indeed a good night - I'm saving myself until I go again on Thursday. And Friday. And possibly Saturday. :D :beer

Hellfire_WZ
6th August 2008, 09:23 AM
I've got a head like a bear's arse this morning....:blarg

mdhay
6th August 2008, 09:32 AM
I probably don't need to say this but That is Nature's way of telling you blah, blah, blah...

You only live once. ;)

Lance
6th August 2008, 08:41 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to get pished, like one is needed :robot But aawww I don't like beer! Why can't we have the Great British Jack Daniels Festival :dizzy

(I know Jack is American, neeh neeh lol)

Jack Daniels tastes like charcoal because the company is too cheap-ass and profiteering to age their whiskey properly. Instead, they pour it through charcoal to supposedly give it the smoothness that rEal bourbon whiskey has. Charcoal is not my favourite flavouring agent.

And BTW, 'Jim Beam' is raw cheap nasty crap, too.

Yep, them's my opinions.

eLhabib
6th August 2008, 08:45 PM
You are so right. Strangely enough, only a few people I know can tell the difference between a good whiskey and Jack Daniels (or Jim Beam, or Johnny Walker, for that matter).

Lance
6th August 2008, 08:51 PM
Their taste buds must have been burned away by Wild Turkey 101. ;D

I have to love Johnny Walker, though, because it financed the Rob Walker Formula I racing team and much of the driving careers of Stirling Moss and Jim Clark.

Rapier Racer
6th August 2008, 08:53 PM
What do you mean by good whiskey though? If you mean like Scottish type whiskey then yuck, it tastes vile maybe in 40 years when I'm old I'll like it but not now. JD & Coke sells like milk in bars over here and rightly so, good stuff.

I guess me and lads are highly flammable then :g

Lance
6th August 2008, 09:05 PM
I like Kentucky bourbon. The ten year or twenty year stuff. I'm not a fan of the Scotch whiskey that I've tasted, but have never had any of the reputedly great single-malt. [droops head in shame at admitting to such inexperience]
The usual Canadian stuff seems a bit bland to me. It doesn't have the higher viscosity and rounded flavour and smoothness of what I consider good whiskey.

Oh, wait, this thread mentioned beer somewhere back there. Mm... I like Heineken, and the holidays brew, Michelob honey lager. Corona, I have to actually put a lime or lemon wedge into in order to like it. Beck's dark and light can both be drinkable. I'm unfamiliar with beer in general cos I like whiskey so much better.

infoxicated
6th August 2008, 09:33 PM
I had a honey type beer yesterday!

From what I can remember I had it last year, too, but then memories tend to be a bit blurred due to the nature of these events.

Whiskey I cant do. Just don't like it - I've been the only one at Burns' Suppers toasting the baird with a pint of lager in the past. Like RR says - maybe I'll acquire a taste when I get older, but there are so many things I like instead I'm not in any rush.

Looking forward to tomorrow night - there's going to be quite a crowd of us. Plus it's silly hat night - I'll possibly be wearing a black and white cow pattern stetson if Fliss remembers to bring it from the house in Liverpool. :D

eLhabib
6th August 2008, 09:47 PM
Ouch! See what beer does to you ;)
Whiskey, on the other hand... okok, nevermind. And don't even get me started on Rum, the liquor of liquors. :beer

RJ O'Connell
6th August 2008, 10:06 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow night ... it's silly hat night - I'll possibly be wearing a black and white cow pattern stetson if Fliss remembers to bring it from the house in Liverpool. :D
And even then, and I'm sure you'll agree - there will be some headgear that will be even more ridiculous.

Hellfire_WZ
6th August 2008, 10:29 PM
Well there was one guy there last night who went the whole hog and dressed up as a beer bottle...

RJ O'Connell
6th August 2008, 10:57 PM
7.5% Human By Volume :D

Lance
7th August 2008, 04:03 PM
lol

-------

and Martin said: "Rum, the liquor of liquors."

"Captain Morgan's". The only rum I'll drink unmixed with anything else. [I woulda said 'the only rum I'll drink straight', but since I'm not straight, we know that's impossible. :D ]

Rapier Racer
7th August 2008, 05:03 PM
lol funny and logical! :nod

eLhabib
7th August 2008, 06:14 PM
oh you're killing me, Lance! ;)

Tomahawk
7th August 2008, 09:57 PM
"Captain Morgan's". The only rum I'll drink unmixed with anything else. [I woulda said 'the only rum I'll drink straight', but since I'm not straight, we know that's impossible. :D ]

Captain Morgan's is a fine brand, indeed. But right now I've got quite a few shots of "Havanna Club Cuban Barrel Proof" swirling through my head and I must say that I never drank a better rum before.

When's the next beer festival Rob? I'm actually thinking about visiting you the next time and introducing you to some great german beers.

Medusa
8th August 2008, 02:45 PM
Anyone like Lowenbrau? (My favourite. Please, don't lecture me for not picking a Canadian beer. The main reason it's so worshiped here is that it makes US beer taste like water.) I recommend Singha beer, (which is a Thai beer, I think) for dessert. ;)

borell
8th August 2008, 05:27 PM
Of the few rums I now about, the one I have at home and like the most is the Ron AƱejo Anniversario by Pampero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrias_Pampero,_C.A.) [wikipedia.org]. :g

There was talk about American beer above... check out the following:

Punk IPA, by Brew Dog (http://www.brewdog.com/) [brewdog.com]
Anchor Porter, by Anchor Brewing (http://www.anchorbrewing.com/) [anchorbrewing.com]

Yummy!

RJ O'Connell
9th August 2008, 04:23 PM
Medusa: Strangely enough one of the local "taverns" has a Lowenbrau signpost on the walls. Ironically though it's famous for being one of the few places in the area that sells Pabst Blue Ribbon, which, as far as I know is piss-weak. o_o