PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER PSP hardware edition?!

Frances_Penfold
22nd July 2008, 11:26 PM
Good Lord.

If true, this must be related to CFW / piracy issues.

http://kotaku.com/5027944/more-shots-of-the-rumored-psp+3000

Darkdrium777
23rd July 2008, 04:28 AM
Yes, it is said this one would be uncrackable by the current means available.
That doesn't mean it will be impossible, as it will be significantly vulnerable thanks to what is out now, and maybe someone will figure out a way to do it anyways.

KIGO1987
23rd July 2008, 08:44 AM
The new PSP looks interesting, i wonder if it has an inbuilt flash memory in it. If Sony puts alot of features into the PSP unit it could be placed on the market to compete againest the Apple iphone. That would be really cool:g

Frances_Penfold
23rd July 2008, 01:06 PM
I really appreciate the smaller size, lighter weight and added features for the PSP-2000 but it's hard for me to imagine what new features could be added to the PSP hardware-- at least without the risk of splintering the user base for the device, which I can't imagine Sony would be willing to do. Maybe I'm just not thinking creatively enough :)

Rapier Racer
23rd July 2008, 01:11 PM
Hmm don't think I'd be buying a new PSP unless it has some major features and innovation over my current one, it's all about the PS3 now.

BARTgai
23rd July 2008, 04:16 PM
I agree. PSP 2000 is perfect for me and I don't see any reason on getting a third.

omega329
23rd July 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm thinking, looking at those headphone sockets, that this version is going to feature on-screen and line-out visual similtaneously, just a guess though...

Frances_Penfold
20th August 2008, 07:33 PM
Aannnnnndddd... it looks like the rumors were true. Hah!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332113

Sony announced the PSP 3000 series today-- it has a BETTER LCD SCREEN (supposedly brighter, better color, less glare) as well as a built in microphone.

I could care less about teh microphone-- but better screens with improved brightness? Hell yes. It's absurd that the PSP-1000's and 2000's have screens worse the the Nintendo DS light, released some years ago now.

Lance
20th August 2008, 07:50 PM
Typical corporate strategy: offer frequent tiny improvements or variations, call it a new model or a special edition, get the suckers [customers] to buy what is essentially the same thing many times over so your profits go up as much as possible while corporation spends as little as possible on actual improvement or new content.

If the screens are better, it's probably because the company that supplies the screens to Sony is just making them better as part of its own competitive development process, not because of Sony's own effort.

I'm a cynic. Been correct about such things many times. Dammit. Wish I hadn't been correct so much. Wish I hadn't had so much reason to suspect.

Frances_Penfold
20th August 2008, 08:38 PM
Heh, you are a cynical old fart, Lance :)

But no doubt that you are right. What Sony is REALLY driving at here is to introduce a new hardware version that they think (and hope and pray to the video gaming gods) is immune to hacking and installation of CFW, since this facilitates pirating and reduces revenue, at least to some degree.

Having some new features on the PSP sweetens the deal for consumers, perhaps tempting them to make the upgrade.

That said, the inclusion of the microphone COULD be a big change for the PSP, because with skype and wifi access, it appears that you could effectively use the PSP as a cell phone. The position of the microphone and speakers may be such that you can even hold the thing up to your head to talk into it-- not sure if that has been revealed yet.

Anyway, as somebody that really, really values screen brightness and contrast, I will probably take the plunge on this, if I can, you know, convince the wife on this issue :)

Darkdrium777
20th August 2008, 09:39 PM
Heh, you are a cynical old fart, Lance :)

But no doubt that you are right. What Sony is REALLY driving at here is to introduce a new hardware version that they think (and hope and pray to the video gaming gods) is immune to hacking and installation of CFW, since this facilitates pirating and reduces revenue, at least to some degree.I absolutely agree with you (Yes, the whole quote Lance :P) I bet the main reason for this new specification is the fact that it will most certainly include the new motherboard which prevents the execution of an unsigned IPL, required prior to the execution of the Pandora kernel used to hack so many PSPs today.
The screen and microphone are an added bonus to justify the large scale release of this updated motherboard.
But it's already being included in the most recent PSP-2000.

Lance
20th August 2008, 11:46 PM
I agree with the "cynical old fart" part the most. Well, I don't fart all thAt much. I minimise my bean intake. :g

Kscorps
21st August 2008, 04:05 PM
I JUST bought a PSP last friday -_-
Well, I guess it isn't a very major revison.

JABBERJAW
21st August 2008, 04:09 PM
ps3 controller compatability?

Frances_Penfold
21st August 2008, 06:59 PM
Haven't seen anything on that, Jabberjaw.

You thinking that it might allow us to wirelessly use the PS3 controller to play PSP games (e.g., when output-ing the image to a TV)?

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2008, 03:56 AM
Externally it almost looks the same, 'cept they changed "HOME" to a "Playstation Logo" button.

I can't wait to not buy it. :g

Frances_Penfold
22nd August 2008, 05:30 PM
Signs from Japanese publications point to screens having significantly improved refresh rates as well as much reduced glare-- some of the sites can't be directly accessed but you can read a summary (with pictures) here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332113&page=6

Also, for what it is worth, it looks like Sony is stepping up on digital distribution of PSP software, with dual releases of some "big-ish" games on UMD + as DDL.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/articles/2008/08/22/downloadable_psp_titles/

Hellfire_WZ
22nd August 2008, 09:30 PM
I'm really pleased to hear about the glare problem being addressed. One of my biggest complaints about the PSP is that it is nearly impossible to use outdoors during the day because of the screen acting like a mirror. I'm still using a first edition Japanese PSP-1000 so I think an upgrade may be in order :)

JABBERJAW
22nd August 2008, 10:27 PM
Maybe that, heck, I wouldn't even mind a usb cable from a ps3 controller. It would make it alot easier to play on the television due to the controller being easier to hold for me than the psp

KIGO1987
22nd August 2008, 10:30 PM
If this new PSP Console has a decent sized flash memory on it, so i can put my music stash on it i will by it:) because just like Hellfire ive got the old launch model PSP which has done me a great deal of button and d-pad stabing. I think i use my PSP more than i use my PS3 console, but i guess that will change when HD comes out.

Anybody know a list of the specifications on the new PSP unit?

Darkdrium777
22nd August 2008, 11:03 PM
Same as the 2000 but with new screen, microphone, home button changed and most probably the new unhackable motherboard (Not that it's that of a bad thing).
As far as I know that's it.

infoxicated
22nd August 2008, 11:05 PM
If they'd moved and replaced the stupid on-off-standby switch then I'd probably have ebay'd my phat one and replaced that with a Slim 'n' Lite 'n' Brite, but I only got my slim one a year ago, so as much as I'd like a better screen I cant really justify the upgrade.

RJ O'Connell
22nd August 2008, 11:07 PM
I'm still rockin' the 1001 series, maybe it's time to upgrade myself after all :g

JABBERJAW
23rd August 2008, 04:03 AM
just a note on the ps3 to psp, just saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg6KH1zw99Y

I wonder if this will be an official feature, since it seems to be possible to work now.

rdmx
23rd August 2008, 04:40 AM
I doubt that feature will ever see the light of day on official firmware quite frankly. It would be extremely clumsy to plug in the PS3 controller into the mini-b port on the top of the PSP (if it was an ofw feature), plus I don't think there are very many mini-b to mini-b cables out there.

How the PSP will stand upright is anyone's guess.
The only potential application is if one has their PSP plugged into a TV using the AV-out cable.