PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

KIGO1987
5th July 2008, 04:54 PM
There is nothing more unproductive than havin' a bitch about when Wipeout HD is coming out. So heres an alternative for you guys.

If you have Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and a net connection. Im online now in the very first race you see in the online races menu.

Any of you Wipers wanna race my right now:)??

--------------

Im on right now.

RJ O'Connell
5th July 2008, 06:09 PM
Don't have a PS3, but I'd really like to play GT5P even if it is an over-glorified demo.

How does the driving feel, Kigo? (psst...double post)

KIGO1987
5th July 2008, 06:33 PM
Lance is prob getting really irritated. Double posts are a bad habbit i have. Gotta try stop doing that. Sorry Lance.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is not a full game as you already know. But simple sometimes work. Its good value for its price. People online on Gran Turismo are a bunch of aggresive bastards. At the tight hairpin at the end of the Fuju circuit i find myself in the kitty litter cause some knob has rammed me (as Gordon Ramsay would put it 'right up your fking arse, would you like it whole or diced' lol). But aye its a great game. The driving dynamics are next to perfect on some of the cars. Alot better than the cntbox variant of Forza.

Im fanging around in a 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. Ive drivin one in real life (i wish i owned one) and it drives pretty much identical to that on GT5P, those guys at Polyphony Digital make one perfect game there. They even helped in the computer design in the new Nissan Skyline GTR there that good at what they do.

You would have to get a PS3 sometime soon. Mine is a real good investment cause its the old 60Gb variant.

But who out there actually has Gran Turismo 5 and appart of this forum?? I dont see much enthusiam in some wanting to do a little bit of online racing. Would be on Wipeout Pulse right now if the online wasnt being worked on this weekend.

RJ O'Connell
5th July 2008, 06:59 PM
Just as long as you aren't one of those ram-happy types that treat GT5 like banger racing, I'd be happy to play you online when GT5 full comes out. Forza 2 online is classy, which certainly makes up for its spotty car lineup and lack of racing variety.

KIGO1987
5th July 2008, 07:11 PM
I thinking all those ramming event where my car goes off the circuit might be due to my slow net connection. I find all the cars jumping around when 12 or more players come into a single race. Suddenly there next to you, then a second later your next to the crash barrier.

I think there is alot of pride in some of the GT5P races those Jap drivers in the NSX's know the circuits and there cars to there full potential. Its good when you have races with them cause you can learn from there driving characteristics on the circuits and then become a better driver yourself. Some what similar when im on Wipeout races againes the best pilots in the world. Im getting closes to them bit by bit all i need is given more time, keep an eye on those records.

Hey whats the Hurricane season been in Florence, AL RJ O'Connell?? Much activity?

Lance
5th July 2008, 08:43 PM
Lance is prob getting really irritated. Double posts are a bad habbit i have. Gotta try stop doing that. Sorry Lance.

Nor is it the only such habit. Producing more work for the mods seems to be your speciality. "There is no try, only do". :g

I will alter what you've done.

---------------

Hey whats the Hurricane season been in Flordia RJ O'Connell?? Much activity?

RJ lives in Alabama. I live in Florida, as do a couple of other members here.

KIGO1987
5th July 2008, 08:59 PM
One state west of Florida. I knew it was Alabama, says so on his id. Was typing the replying in and i was think about Florida also. So it went into the post when i was typing. You know those moment in exams when you’re doing an essay up and you tangent off for a small moment and start thinking about other things and then you completely screw up an entire paragraph cause you weren’t thinking, well that what happen then. Wondered why i didnt get a follow up reply i must of offended him:? opps.

Darkdrium777
5th July 2008, 10:28 PM
I have GT5p but I am unable to finish league A, the AI is too hard for me, and online is just a ramming festival and not what I thought it would be. :/
Still, I am glad I got my Dualshock for 20$ with it at Best Buy.

KIGO1987
6th July 2008, 07:06 AM
Someone who has GT5P, thought i was the only one for a bit then. Gran Turismo 'S' class events do come to nearly impossible to pass, but i do say 'nearly' cause sometimes if you have a perfect race you can get a bronze. I only have S-7 and S-10 events to pass. Im in a Gran Turismo mood i might give it a crack today. But you do learn alot about how to drive a car to its full potential in Gran Turismo, makes you a better driver in reality.

In online sometimes you can knock up some good races. I had a few good ones last night. Got a few firsts. All i was driving was an 07 Subaru STi, and i was beating GTRs and NSXs.

A DualShock3 for $20 damn thats a good buy. Was actually going to buy one on Saturaday but they retail for $99 AUD. Im going to give Best Buys a look. I remember ten years ago back in 1998 i bought the original DualShock Controller for the original Gran Turismo that was so cool. But does the DualShock3 controller drain more juice that the SIXAXIS one?

Who out there on WZ actually has GT5P??

rdmx
6th July 2008, 08:10 AM
I do have gt5p, but there are other things i'd rather be playing.

Darkdrium777
6th July 2008, 03:13 PM
It was at Best Buy in Canada though, and the deal is already off ;) Maybe they had a similar deal in Australia, I wouldn't know. But they did a deal like that a couple of times here (Three times I think), the last one was a month ago: "GT5p for 40$ + DS3 for 25$".

metroid4me
7th July 2008, 01:42 PM
other than the intro, I was totaly inimpressed with this game. its been sitting on the shelf ever since I bought it. if you want a good car racing game try Grid or Dirt. Those are fun.
-Josh

KIGO1987
7th July 2008, 02:24 PM
I find the old introduction scenes of Gran Turismo 1 and 2, where got to be the best. Simple cinematography with a tune that you will remember in years to come. GT1 Intro 'Manic Street Preaches - Everything Must Go (Chemical Brothers Remix)' and GT2 'The Cardigans - My Favourite Game". The newer introduction scenes are spontaneous and looks like someone where a severe case of dyslexia created time in a course of a single night.

Like Gran Turismo Concept, Gran Turismo 4 Prologue, Gran Turismo HD and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and Possibly Wipeout HD, they are all not a full complete gaming title much like an appetizer to a main course it’s small and prepares you for the full instalment later down the track. I always except something simple with these titles but if quality is down if not going to buy the game. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue has that much in detail structure in it i would not ever myself say its an unimpressive game, that my opinion. In general, people out there sometimes expect too much out of some things in life, which can sometimes be a good thing because it creates momentum in the drive to create even better gaming titles. Myself, i would like to congratulate the Polyphony Digital team in their latest instalment in the Gran Turismo series. There is now officially no line between reality and virtual reality in some cars physics in the Gran Turismo series. Ive driven some of the cars in the Gran Turismo series also in real life and they are almost identical in the characteristics, so my opinion is not biased to the Gran Turismo gaming series. Im looking forward to the full instalment of Gran Turismo 5, and also whenever or if ever Gran Turismo Portable comes to the PSP.

Quasi
7th July 2008, 02:42 PM
I REALLY, REALLY, need to get a ps3. In 1080HD, I wont be able to tell the gt5 replays from TV racing.

but Gran Turismo is going over to the dark(or maybe white and green) side of the force? the Xbox?

I couldn't believe when ace combat six went 360.

RJ O'Connell
7th July 2008, 02:55 PM
As long as Sony holds the publishing rights to the Gran Turismo series, there'd be a better chance of seeing the next World Cup of Skiing held in the eight level of hell.

Xbox has Forza Motorsport anyway, I think they're content with one top-level console simulator.

KIGO1987
7th July 2008, 03:13 PM
Hmmm, if Microsoft waved enough cash in front of Polyphony Digital faces then the fate of Gran Turismo on the Sony consoles would be grim. I like some of the titles on the Xbox consoles, but it irritates the **** through me when i see classics which have been on the original Playstation console many years ago like Ridge Racer the 00001 game on the PSX and Ace Combat goes to the evil empire in there newer series. I wanted to get the latest Ace Combat game, but no it had to be released on the other format. Namco is run by single minded accountants now than ever before. Arrh. I really hate them for that. You put a disk in the Microsoft XBox 360 console and it over heats and freezes, no surprise there with the quality and Vista and all. You doing a simple task then these dumb pop up boxes come out 'program is not responding', 'end program now' then the HDD corrupts itself, complete and utter POSs. The Mac i had in the early 90s never i mean never did any of these things, shows the build quality on things today, it applies to cars aswell, thats just my opinion which some would agree as well to disagree also.

I dont think that'll ever happen with the Gran Turismo series. Polyphony Digital are loyal to Sony Computer Entertainment. If it did, then i would just stick to my other interest of cars in reality not in virtual reality.

This post is bound to cause some sort of a stir somewhere. I try to limit my direct opinion on things, like i didnt do on a poll thread not so long ago, which cause a bit of upset to someone out there.

Anyways back to the topic, who else out there has Gran Turismo 5 Prologue??

eLhabib
7th July 2008, 05:28 PM
Xbox has Forza Motorsport anyway, I think they're content with one top-level console simulator.
And GT5 is Forza2's bitch when it comes to actual racing physics and gameplay. Shiny graphics can't redeem GT5's lack of realism.

KIGO1987
7th July 2008, 05:51 PM
Gran Turismo has much more refined driving vehicle characteristics than Forza. Forza is still a generation behind in comparison to Gran Turismo offering in comparisons to virtual reality and reality itself. Ive played both games, Forza 2 and Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo has to be clearly more superior. To back up this clam even more Ive driven many of the sports cars in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue game in real life '2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STi' and the '2004 Honda Integra Type-R', and there characteristics are nearly identical, other than there is no clutch to feel the friction point in. So overall Gran Turismo has a more realism factor than Forza2.

eLhabib
7th July 2008, 06:00 PM
I strongly disagree. Forza2 feels more like real driving than any other game I've played, including GT5(Prologue), which is probably due to Forza2's physics engine running at 360 fps. But this is for another thread to be discussed in, I'm getting offtopic.

Lance
7th July 2008, 07:16 PM
Hmmm, if Microsoft waved enough cash in front of Polyphony Digital faces then the fate of Gran Turismo on the Sony consoles would be grim.

I dont think that'll ever happen with the Gran Turismo series. Polyphony Digital are loyal to Sony Computer Entertainment.

Polyphony Digital is an internal development studio totally owned by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is unlikely, no matter how huge the amount of cash waved by Microsoft, That Sony will allow their direct competitor to put GT on the X-box. 'Loyalty' has nothing to do with it.

The Gracer
8th July 2008, 07:38 AM
Exactly, but my choice of words would be 'impossible' not 'unlikely'. Sony hold tight to their exclusives, especially ones that have stood out on the previous consoles, because they are what sell the PS3 - this is what ive found from watching the sales figures from my stores gaming area.

I agree with eLhabib on the handling thing, Forza has a much more accurate physics engine than GT ever had - take that from someone who enjoys discovering just how a car will react to a road or a certain cornering situation, especially while under racing conditions.

The graphics lack the depth of GT5's however, the custom livery system limits the rendering and lighting of the vehicles.

GT is a good game, but i prefer to call it an 'arcade simulation' over a 'simulation'.

Why is everyone so anti xbox? its a great console.. :S

We digress from the topic.

No, i dont have GT5P, but i do play it (when the boss isnt watching) on our display PS3 - it certainly is a stunning game, but i prefer the playabilty of the original GTs.

KIGO1987
8th July 2008, 10:13 AM
Polyphony Digital is an internal development studio totally owned by Sony Computer Entertainment. It is unlikely, no matter how huge the amount of cash waved by Microsoft, That Sony will allow their direct competitor to put GT on the X-box. 'Loyalty' has nothing to do with it.

Good. I was unsure about the ownership detials there. Seems similar to the relationship between Studio Liverpool and Sony. Correct me if im off about the fine details there.

Why is everyone so anti xbox? its a great console.. :S.

I think alot of people are worried that if history repeats itself Microsoft might create another Monopoly. If this happened to the console gaming market then... well i hope that doesnt happen. More people would agree.

------------------------

Back to Gran Turismo 5 Prologue who also has this game, also who in the EU area is appart or who knows someone that is appart of GTAcademy? The promotion things look really cool, you can get involved in real life racing. Sweet!

Quasi
8th July 2008, 11:51 AM
my friend got a 360 because the ps3 was delayed, and later on he bought test drive unlimited and the racing controller, but ever since i beat him with the controller, he hasn't touched racing ever again. he got all the xbox exclusive games though, its like hes got a personal vendetta against sony now.:?

KIGO1987
8th July 2008, 12:12 PM
Another victim of the Dark Side. Wells let him enjoy all the faults of the 360 like freezing and overhearting. lol. Alot of people say they'll nail me on racer genre games, i usually prove them wrong within the first lap on the race. Ive got a friend who had a PSX and a PS2 and say there where the best out there, then he got a Xbox. Now his opinion has changed yet again. Rider of the bandwagon. Also a major hypocrite these days. Another victim of the Dark Side. Hmmm when you think about it, you guys remember 'Speeddem'.. http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4974
Maybe he wanted to convert many people over to the Dark Side also, then he got banned. lol. Friggin Knob.

---------------------------------

Back to the topic of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Who also has this game, also who in the EU area is appart or who knows someone that is appart of GTAcademy? The promotion things look really cool, you can get involved in real life racing. That sounds really cool.

Darkdrium777
8th July 2008, 02:01 PM
But I thought PS3 was the dark side this gen. At least that's what they keep saying over at PlayStation.com forums... We have the only black console :P

IMO I don't care about what other people have as long as they are happy with it (For first year X360 fans that might include the RRoD too but hey, not my issue.), but I cannot stand people who get all bent out of shape to spread misinformation (Except when it's for some laughs, like the SonyDefenceForce). I am a very truthful person and I believe that when we talk seriously to someone we should give him facts instead of bullshit like PS3>All or PSWii FTW, that kind of thing. Because I don't think you can say that... It is a matter of tastes and each person is entitled to his or her opinion.

===== Dual Shock 3 =====

About your question for the battery life, which I didn't see until now, I wouldn't know. I don't let my controllers drain before I recharge them so I've never had any Sixaxis or DualShock 3 run out on me.
However I can say that the rumble feels quite good, some may dislike the "smoothness" compared to the DualShock 2 (It is less aggressive.) but in games like Warhawk the rumble is plenty enough :)

===== GT5 Prologue =====

I don't have much to add other than until I can somehow manage to beat that one lap event in league A I might never play that game again... >.< It is a beautiful game, the landscapes are bluffing but it's just so hard for me... Anyone know if you can put it on "Very Easy" or something? I don't remember seeing a difficulty setting anywhere... :/

Lance
8th July 2008, 04:38 PM
Exactly, but my choice of words would be 'impossible' not 'unlikely'.

I am fond of ironic understatement. :D

Good. I was unsure about the ownership detials there. Seems similar to the relationship between Studio Liverpool and Sony. Correct me if im off about the fine details there.

Be assured that I shall. :D

This, however, is a mAjor detail, which affects any judgement about what is possible in the game market. The possibility that X-box would ever get this game is vanishingly small. GT variants are likely to be exclusively Sony's as long as there is a Sony and a GT that anyone wants. There now, I abandoned understatement that time. :g

KIGO1987
11th July 2008, 06:16 PM
While im waiting for the PSP brick to ever so slowly charge i am going to turn the PS3 on and do a bit of online racing.

Im going on Expert Level PP600 Fuji Speedway F/PRO Up to 16 players.

Anybody else interested going on into that race also, im going on now??

-------------

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Who also has this game, also who in the EU area is appart or who knows someone that is appart of GTAcademy? The promotion things look really cool, you can get involved in real life racing.

Quasi
12th July 2008, 07:14 AM
you mean as a prize you can be inducted to amateur racing or something?\

and also...what's the highest speed you have ever achieved in any GT?

KIGO1987
12th July 2008, 09:44 AM
The GT Academy is only available in the European nations at this given moment in time, lucky bastards. What happens i think, that the best of the best Gran Turismo Drivers online are selected, and one of the best of the best there is invited to race in the GT Nissan racing team in Silverstone (obviously you would need some additional training and preparation). Then you could be able to compete in the Dubai 24hour endurance race. Would love to visit Dubai, longer than just waiting at the Airport for half an hour for the next connecting Emirates flight. The architecture in Dubai is amazing.

There are further details on www.gtacademy.eu

The fastest speed i have been up to on Gran Turismo. I think it was in GT4 i was able to push a tunned car well into the 400km/h zone. But there was a trick you could do in GT3 with the Suzuki Escudo Peaks Pike ditch all driving aids push the down force on the aerodynamics are far as possible. What the result was after a certain speed on a straight the car lifted up and did a wheelie, then the speed of the car exceeded 1200km/h, this was a glitch in the game someone pointed out to me many years ago.

rdmx
12th July 2008, 10:00 AM
2147483647 mph :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLS5s2nmuHk&feature=related
For maths fans, this is 2^31 - 1. The other value must be for 0 miles.

KIGO1987
12th July 2008, 11:20 AM
Damn GT3 gameplay, thats going back a while, back in 2001 i remember petrol was 70-80cents a liter, now its like 170-180cents a liter, what ever the price goes up to im not giving up driving.

I never tried the Seatle circuit ram the wall cheat, but i only did that on the Test Course. That Toyota was traveling at 3435973835km/h the fabric of space and time would deffinately begin to alter then. I wonder what happened at the end of that clip the PS2 must of exploded. I wonder how many calculations per second the PS2 was doing before the end of the vid. Thats probably the only thing unrealistic about Gran Turismo there.

rdmx
12th July 2008, 12:05 PM
I think the PS2 freezes at that point, that's why the video is cut off there.

xtriko
26th July 2008, 02:15 PM
I also have GT5p. it was my first game. i play it with my logitech driving force pro, but i'm aiming for Logitec G25 ;)
already cleared the S league, but not with all gold.
is there anyone playing online?

KIGO1987
27th July 2008, 02:56 AM
From time to time im usually playing GT5 online. Hey if you want to organise a race sometime, let me know im also a big fan of Gran Turismo. I wouldnt mind doing some online races on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue with Wipeout Pilots for a change.

xtriko
27th July 2008, 10:32 AM
that would be great :) the only problem is the terrible online meeting system of GT5p :S
we need luck to find someone. no rooms.

KIGO1987
27th July 2008, 10:53 AM
That was good timing to go online. Wanna do a race on Gran Turismo now?
--------------------------------
****, i just missed you. Anyhow im on atm for a little while doing Suzuka Curcuit Expert level if you wanted to meet

xtriko
27th July 2008, 08:36 PM
sorry kigo1987, i was not at home and now i'm kind of tired :S add me to your msn if you want: alien_speech@hotmail.com
or to ps3 friends: xtriko

KIGO1987
16th September 2008, 06:59 PM
Now its the tedious wait of another week and a bit, before we see Wipeout HD under the game section of our PS3 XMB.

Heres how to kill some time. You guys out there with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, do the new update for the game and check out the GT TV feature. There is a significant huge content expansion there. There are many hours of video footage of Top Gear, Touring Cars, Jap Car video magazines and Drift videos also :g.

This is a must see for all car enthusiasts out there:D

KIGO1987
30th December 2008, 04:28 PM
Im going to do a few rounds of Gran Turismo. Feel free to join me guys.

RJ O'Connell
4th January 2009, 02:59 PM
All this time and I still don't have it.. :/

TwIsTeD
8th January 2009, 10:30 PM
add me for GT5P battles!!:hyper

djKyoto
9th January 2009, 12:02 PM
All this time and I still don't have it.. :/

Me too, and I'm a GT Junkie. Odd world.

Asayyeah
13th January 2009, 02:42 PM
Dag offered it to me as a Christmas gift : i tested it briefly and i am extremely deceived by its gameplay, weirdly enough i don't feel anymore all the good parts from the previous iteration.
Maybe with a real wheel that must be different.
Not sure you gonna see me online then :|

TwIsTeD
15th January 2009, 12:17 PM
Dag offered it to me as a Christmas gift : i tested it briefly and i am extremely deceived by its gameplay, weirdly enough i don't feel anymore all the good parts from the previous iteration.
Maybe with a real wheel that must be different.
Not sure you gonna see me online then :|

Give it a chance...Progress in the game a little and when u get the good cars u will remember the GT greatness.It's all there :P

Darkdrium777
15th January 2009, 03:24 PM
But how do you get to the good cars? I got stuck on the event on the first league where you have to finish first in one lap (Or something like that). I cannot finish it (My car isn't fast enough, and I can't get another), so I abandoned the game.

KIGO1987
15th January 2009, 04:11 PM
Start it over again. I used the Ford Focus XR5 to start with. But the best car to start with is the 2004 Honda Integra TypeR, its high end power does the trick. Nail a few races with it then buy something good. The driving dynamics in this game are pretty much spot on with the real thing (body roll, steering both in under and oversteer).

rdmx
16th January 2009, 12:41 AM
I used that 'get to first in one lap' event to get enough money to buy the Nissan GT-R :P
Yes I think you'll need the Integra for that event. I gave up on the game because of all the ridiculous penalties it kept throwing at me in later levels.
"cut a corner? you must be ****ting me!"

Sideshow
16th January 2009, 09:02 AM
If you're ever in doubt as to what car to buy, buy Japanese. The game is ridiculously biased :) The Honda, for the time you get it, utterly creams it's competition.

KIGO1987
16th January 2009, 11:21 AM
Hondas are really nice cars that are built to last and with the most impressive naturally aspirated engine technology in the world. If Subaru wasnt around ill probably have a Honda.

yeldar2097
16th January 2009, 12:12 PM
and remember, the slipstream is your friend. especially when you get to those dastardly 'S' class events with pp limits. grr.