PDA

View Full Version : Sound Systems for Videogaming

KIGO1987
17th June 2008, 08:58 PM
The Purpose of this thread is to discuss about the Sound Systems that you have in your house, sound systems that are connected to you Playstation 3 console, the type of headphones that your have connected into your PSP and/or MP3 Player, as well as the sound systems in your car. This thread is also here to universally discuss about music in general so if you want to discuss about that compilation work in the latest Ministry of Sound CD or Kraftwerk's latest music track, here is the thread to do it.

Heres are few questions to get the ball rolling.

Whats sound system do you have plugged into your PS3 console? Is it 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound? so you can listen to the full music/sfx/gaming experience of Wipeout HD.

What type of Sound System do you have in your car? What brand of deck do you have? Whats the power of your Amp? What type of Sub and speakers do you have?

Have any of you heard Eric Prydz's new track Pjanoo? Ive got it in the latest Ministry of Sound Sessions 5 Australia CD. Its awesome. That swedish DJ can turn out some really cool tunes. Maybe one his music tracks can be included in the next Wipeout title after HD. Just like how Mason - Exceeder was included in Wipeout Pulse and Wipeout HD.

Lance
17th June 2008, 09:15 PM
You're combining two disparate subjects in one thread, which will only confuse discussion. When you go to a topic wanting to find a discussion about different versions of surround sound and the best hardware to get it, but discover instead a discussion about the merits of acid house versus DnB taking up most of the thread, the usefulness of the topic becomes radically reduced. There are already music discussion threads; this one should be only about sound systems, Hence I am about to change the subject title. Please edit your post to remove the parts about "to universally discuss about music".

Darkdrium777
18th June 2008, 01:10 AM
Samsung HTX-40 for PS3. A real bargain (250$) for a quite good 5.1 (800W). Although it has very limiting options when it comes to inputs and outputs, so if you get it make sure everything you have will work with it.

Harvai
20th June 2008, 10:11 AM
I don't have a PS3 but my 360/PS2 is hooked up to my Samsung 5-disc stereo. Not a really house-shaking unit but I'm in no rush to replace it, more than gets the job done!

If i'm playing in the lounge room it gets connected to the Logitec X-540 5.1 (currently at 4.1 - still have no idea where to put the right rear speaker) and then all sorts of loud noises ensue

KIGO1987
30th June 2008, 04:09 PM
*another time*

Lance
1st July 2008, 01:31 AM
One topic per thead, please. Did you read and understand post number two in this thread?

Norfolk'n'Clue
1st July 2008, 01:31 PM
At the moment, I've only got my main system, which is built from disparate seperates, Denon tuner, CD and tape deck, with a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A (black) feeding to two Spirit Absolute 2 passive near field monitors at the front and two Kef Concorde II's for the rear. I've got another 2 Spirit's ready to go in for when I eventually end up getting a AV amp, prolly an Onkyo of some description, in order to get some surround sound. The denon amp I used to have has been moved upstairs to power a couple of passive JVC monitors connected to my PC.

As for headphones I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD25 Pros - without question the best headphones I've ever heard, out of the sets that I've owned which are B&O A8, a cheap Sony pair, Shure e2c and Shure e3c. Quite pricey, but so, so worth it.

Lance
1st July 2008, 08:38 PM
How many games are supporting surround sound?

Norfolk'n'Clue
2nd July 2008, 12:28 AM
Not that many I'd guess. It's more for DVDs - the surround sound amp is some way off for me! No rush :P

Lance
2nd July 2008, 12:37 AM
No rush for me, either; I'm still using a Kenwood integrated amp that I bought about forty years ago. I also have a much newer Carver receiver [still just two-channel], but it went pffffffft.

Darkdrium777
2nd July 2008, 01:43 AM

All PS3 games have Surround sound, most are 5.1 but some even up to 7.1
Some PS2 games also have surround, via the optical output.

KIGO1987
7th September 2008, 04:29 AM
Can anyone suggest a good 5.1 Snd Sys for Wipeout HD?

I was wondering if there was a good one out there i can use on the TV as well as the computer. Having a remote is a must, ive owned a set of Logetics X-240 2.1 system that i bought from my old place of work a few years back, i still use it nearly every single day it has a such good clarity as well as a nice mix of bass and pitch. Time for an upgrade any one got any good ideas?

Cheers.

Darkdrium777
7th September 2008, 03:42 PM
Logitech Z-5500 Digital (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=ca,en)

If you have the space required for the subwoofer, this beast will make your PC and PS3 as well as TV sound like you've never heard them before. It's the best 5.1 sound system with compatiblity for PS3 and PC included (And of course the TV). But as I said the only drawback is the subwoofer's size, it is very large.

Lance
7th September 2008, 04:28 PM
How large? How many cubic yards/metres is this thing going to occupy?

KIGO1987
7th September 2008, 04:39 PM
Ah those ones, back in the days when i was working in sales i think they had the X-5300. I remember how many times i got told off by hardware to 'turn the ****ing things down!' When every i was around them i put some good **** on like Pendulum and let it rip, i sold alot of them that way:g Not by turning them up for a second and turning them back down again a second later, i had i them loud and i mean loud for good a couple of minutes (a moment of complete Euphoria), sounded like a good club, you could hear those things over in the furniture section of the department store:rock

Im going to serioulsy look into those D777. Im sure my neighbours will thank me later in Summer for them. lol.

=====================

How large? How many cubic yards/metres is this thing going to occupy?

Just my room atm (5m x 5m, not sure on the actual cubic space of the room). Something with the space like that it'll sound close to my subi's sound system.

Darkdrium777
7th September 2008, 09:24 PM
You should click on 'Product Tour' on Logitech's page for an idea of the sub's size.

Alternatively, a Google Search is sure to turn up accurate results. ;)

Kscorps
7th September 2008, 09:29 PM
I plug my PSP into a pair of cheap speaker. Much better than those small PSP speakers! :)

Darkdrium777
7th September 2008, 09:33 PM
You can plug the PSP in the Z-5500, much better than cheap speakers :D

I've got to be honest, I don't have the Z-5500 because it is really big. If the sub was much smaller I would have got it instead of the Samsung HTX-40 (Or however it's written)

xEik
7th September 2008, 09:52 PM
I've got to be honest, I don't have the Z-5500 because it is really big.
I do have one. And yes, the subwoofer is quite big. Otherwise, how would you make the whole house tremble with bass? :P
Now I'll be honest; I have never cranked its volume to the max (I think the neighbours would complain).

Lance
8th September 2008, 02:53 AM
I use good earphones, a very nice pair of Sonys that I bought about eleven years ago. Since I'm awake till 4 or 5 AM, I am cErtain that the neighbors would be oppressed if I were to use a big sound system. I know I hate them when they do it to me.

Frances_Penfold
8th September 2008, 03:14 AM
Sigh.

I'm excited to be purchasing a PS3 and play Wipeout HD in the near future but it also suggests I need to start thinking about improving my speaker situation, which is really **** at the moment.

Norfolk'n'Clue
8th September 2008, 07:53 AM
It's interesting you spent so much money on a system from what is essentially a preipherals manufacturer. It would never occur to me to do that - I'd go down the Kef, Mordant-Short or Mission route.

eLhabib
8th September 2008, 08:44 AM
You obviously haven't tried a Logitech setup then. I got mine a year ago, and it's the best I ever had (beating Sony, and Bohse setups before it, and even at a much smaller price and speaker size)

Norfolk'n'Clue
8th September 2008, 09:36 AM
Hm.Be interested to find out who Logitech bought their drivers from then if they're that good. I wouldn't consider Sony/Bose to be the best examples on the market though, unless you go really high end. I still think I'd rather buy a seperate AV amp and build the system myself.

Also, are we confusing *loudness* with *clarity and response* here?

Darkdrium777
8th September 2008, 10:56 AM
Another factor to take into consideration is compatibility and versatility, and the Z-5500 D is one of the best in those areas, with the big number of inputs. It offers a great number of possibilities, which is always good.

Norfolk'n'Clue
8th September 2008, 11:56 AM
Well, they certainly come highly recommended!

xEik
8th September 2008, 05:05 PM
Since I'm awake till 4 or 5 AM, I am cErtain that the neighbors would be oppressed if I were to use a big sound system. I know I hate them when they do it to me.
Reading this I recalled that once a neighbour had his music really loud.
It didn't last long after my counterattack with even louder music (the only time I almost put it to the loudest volume). I can't remember whether I used Bach or The Doors (counterattacks must always use classics, any kind of classics :D)

Lance
8th September 2008, 11:44 PM
'Under My Thumb', by The Rolling Stones, would be a nice retaliation. [speakin' of classics]

Darkdrium777
9th September 2008, 12:27 AM
I strongly recommend 'Soundclash - EZ-Rollers' to do that ;)

(Yeah, I did that, the house shaked. Volume was to the max and the speakers were laying on the floor. Neighbor's music stops after eleven seconds, guaranteed)

PS: The song is from Rollcage on PS1, rip it from your disc. Not the 'Moving Shadows' version you can find on Youtube.

Norfolk'n'Clue
9th September 2008, 09:36 AM
Some friends on tour in amsterdam used Venetian Snares to shut the geezer in the next room up. They used the part of the PA they were touring with. I really felt for the poor ****er next door.

KIGO1987
9th September 2008, 12:07 PM
Lol. Most of my neighbours are nice, expecially the old greek women who moved out ages ago. Now ive got some grade A ****ing shitface neighbour who wakes me up when im trying to get a good sleep before the Exam the next day. In exchange now i make sure i regularly play some Pendulum up loud along with some other good **** for some good retaliation. Nobody gets away pissing me off:twisted

Ive given my Logitechs a good workout thats why im due for an upgrade:lol

BaldyCurly
11th September 2008, 03:44 PM
I am a self confessed AV geek! My setup downstairs is;

Pioneer PDP-436XDE Plazma
Onkyo 605 Amp, 7.1,
SqueezeBox V3 Wireless Music Streamer
Pioneer DVR-550HX DVD Recorder
PS3-UK 40Gb with 160Gb HDD
Mission M35 Fronts
Mission M70c Centre
Quad Lites(x4) Surround
Mission M70AS Sub

Upstairs;
Dell 24" 1080 LCD
PS3-UK 60Gb
Mission FS1's
Playseat
Logictech G25 Wheel

Car;
Sony MP3 / Cd Player
Kenwood 200w Mono'ed Amp
10" infinity sub.

I do love my A/V toys!

Lance
11th September 2008, 10:00 PM
So is the sound system you actually use most of the time for videogames only the one upstairs, or does the main one downstairs get more of a workout? Something tells me the one in the car doesn't get used for games much. ;)

cybrpnk
12th September 2008, 01:00 AM
PS3 - bought a logitech z-something about 4-5 years ago when I got Far Cry and Half-Life 2 for my PC to get into the whole immersion thing...ran really well while it lasted...5.1 surround...came with 6 speakers...and nice sub-woofer...(quite powerful actually)...

PC died...think I killed it with all my high-res renderings for uni...so I moved the logitech z-something to my PS3 when I got it...never looked back...the sub-woofer can be cranked quite high...I only have it on about 1/4 of the full setting at the moment and the car explosions from GTA4 can be felt rumbling through my floor, through the bean bag I sit on...very nice system for the price I paid for at the time $100 AUD...

PSP - have a few Sony headphones I use for this...my favourites are this DJ styled monitor ones I got especially for my guitar amp...nice bass running through it...good for WipEout...especially when I unleashed rockets in Pulse...the whooshes all sound so bassy couple with the explosions at the end of it...

Sorry, I'm not good with model names so it may all seem a bit vague...

Medusa
12th September 2008, 04:09 PM
Well I don't have HD hooked up to my sound yet, but I've seriously enjoyed cranking Wip3out SE through it, even though the game doesn't have surround, I can put it onto virtual surround through my receiver (just a JVC, 5.1...I'd love to have a Moon receiver, but you can't have it all and still buy groceries XD).

Sound goes through a JVC receiver to Polk RM6000 50W surround speakers, linky here:
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/rm6000/
along with a PSW 110 subwoofer, linky here:
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/psw/series/psw110/

BTW if anyone doesn't hear this before setting up their speakers, be sure to wire the sound of the surround speakers through the sub before going to the actual speaker. It does make a huge difference in the sound quality. (Hope I described that accurately...)

Sound quality is excellent, I don't play anything "too loud" (as in loud enough to test whether I can bust the speakers) but these speakers hold the sound quality very well, and you can fiddle with the sub settings and/or receiver settings until it is just right. Good stuff for the price.

cnmth
23rd September 2008, 11:47 PM
Nice set baldycurly

my stuff :

Sony PS3 60GB
Sony PSP
Sony PS1
Nintendo Wii
2 PC's

And all this hardware is connected 2 my:

Panasonic 42pz85 plasma tv
Onkyo TX-SR805 amp
KEF KHT 3005 5.1 speaker set

2 pics,
http://members.home.nl/keyl/xdFgei/23092008209.jpg
Burnout paradise

and big screen Pulse :rock
http://members.home.nl/keyl/xdFgei/23092008220.jpg

quality of the pics aint that good, will make better ones with better cam ;o

KIGO1987
4th November 2008, 06:52 AM
Just wondering whats the name of the cable that allows 5.1 Sourround Sound Connection? Cause im going to need to buy one of them. Also whats the price ill be looking at for a good one?

SuperNova
4th November 2008, 08:43 AM
I use a 5.1 Dolby Surround sound sytem(sony) with a Jamo HomeCinema Subwoofer for my gameing needs

KIGO1987
4th November 2008, 08:54 AM
Nice sound system you got there.

Im going to buy a Logitech X-5500 speakers in a few weeks, when i got the cash for them, should be a nice compilation with the PS3 soon.

BTW whats the cable called that i need to connected the 5.1's into the PS3 called???? Anybody?

alterego
4th November 2008, 03:04 PM
Hi All.

Here we go:

Home theater system:

source Sony PS3
TV LCD Samsung 6 Series 40''
HT Amplifier Harman Kardon 630
Front spk Mirage OM10
Center Mirage OM C2
Surr Mirage OM10 surr
SW Audio-Pro B2-50 mk2

Hi-Fi System

Turntable Michell Gyrodec with Mission 773 mc
Cd Player Rega 2 box
Pre Amp Perreaux SA2
Amp Perreaux PMF 3190 (120+120)
Box one couple of Spendor LS3-5A and a couple of Quad ESL63
in add to these another Sw Audio Pro b2-50.

.....and a lot of vinyl and cds.....around 6000....for now ;)

When I don't play wo....I love to listen good music on good system for the pleasure of sound!
Read You Soon
CdRom

Darkdrium777
4th November 2008, 05:51 PM
Toslink or Digital Optical Cable. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toslink)

KIGO1987
4th November 2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks D777 for answering my question, i was looking at the rear of the PS3 as well as my old school PS2 and i was looking at the Digital Out Port thinking that was the port where you would plug the surround sound in.

Cant wait untill i get those X-5500's. Then i can next upgrade to a decent tellie, but something with a **** load of HDMI ports, intergrated HD tuner, 200Hz refresh rate, maybe LED or a Laser TV, might do the trick, but ill wait to see when they are on the market.

Lance
4th November 2008, 10:23 PM
You might use an intermediate connector box [about $100 - $150 US] to link multiple devices; that way you'd have more choices of which TV or other devices to get, and could save a bunch of money, probably. That way you wouldn't have to have a super-expensive TV with every port type known to man.

KIGO1987
4th November 2008, 10:33 PM
Hmmm, i might look into that, but im going to hang tight till the next gen tv's hit the market so i wont be buying anything for about 6months plus. In the meantime wipeout HD will be continually view at ****ty SD with a 4:3 ration CRT 51cm tv.

dobyblue
28th November 2008, 02:47 PM
Some nice systems in here. I too am an AV geek, but I go with what I can afford as opposed to what I really want.

I'm listing the prices I paid for each piece of equipment too.

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805 - US$629
SACD/DVD-A player - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - US$99
Fronts - Paradigm Monitor 11v5's - CDN$835 (MSRP $1200)
Centre - Paradigm Monitor CC-370v4 - CDN$449
Rears - Paradigm Monitor 11v4's - CDN$1225
Sub - Paradigm Servo 15v2 - CDN$1750 (MSRP $2200)

Front speaker cables - AWG8 Ultralink Excelsior 2.4 bi-wire
Centre cable - Ultralink AWG12
Other speaker wire - Monoprice AWG12

All HDMI cables - HDMI 1.3a Monoprice (around $5/each)

Pic of front speaker beside sub

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/6273/picture026spr3.jpg

Grilles are only off for this picture. A system like this makes watching Blu-ray movies from an audio perspective so much more enjoyable. I rarely feel like going to the cinema.

I'm also lucky to be in a brick house where sound doesn't carry outside very well, so I have no neighbours I can bother with my system.

WipEoutHD sounds great in 5.1 - but my demo disc right now is probably the Blu-ray release of Band of Brothers, the "Bastogne" episode.

Almost 100

I wouldn't consider Sony/Bose to be the best examples on the market though, unless you go really high end.

Bose doesn't have high end equipment, only high end prices. If you're used to listening to 128 Kbps .mp3's you might not realize just how poor of a sound Bose has, but if you enjoy listening to music and prefer variable bit rate .mp3's, .mp4 compression or better yet lossless .flac or CD or DVD-A/SACD then you'll immediately hear how poor Bose equipment is at any level.

What they charge $2,000 for, you can get better by spending less than $500.

Here's a good read on Bose - http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

KIGO1987
29th November 2008, 01:10 AM
Nice:D

Work has called in for more hours this week probably even more til well into the new year. That means less Wipeout time:( But with the extra cash. I should be cranking those Logitecs X-5500:g:g:g:g by this time next week, depending if the ****ing bank is going to cash the cheques in on the right day.

The Gracer
29th November 2008, 07:41 AM
Hm.Be interested to find out who Logitech bought their drivers from then if they're that good.

A company called Edifier supply Logitech with their drivers, if im not mistaken

i have a Technics NewClassA amp from a while back, it goes very hard

Harvai
30th November 2008, 09:03 AM
You might use an intermediate connector box [about $100 - $150 US] to link multiple devices; that way you'd have more choices of which TV or other devices to get, and could save a bunch of money, probably. That way you wouldn't have to have a super-expensive TV with every port type known to man.

I was gonna post here and ask a question, but it looks like you may help me out here, Lance.
This connector box, is this a small box that you can plug numerous A/V cables into? If so, that's what I'm looking for. My HD TV only has one set of both RCA and Component plugs, and to change between my 360, PSP and PS2 means a lot of mucking around and cord swapping. PS2 isn't so much of a problem (that doesn't run off component cables), but I also run the audio cables into my stereo, which means I have to unplug them every time I want to switch systems.

It's not a life-threatening problem, but it does get annoying sometimes. I'd just like to plug them all into something and be done with it.

Task
30th November 2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I've got a switch box for my composite inputs. What with PS1, GC, and VCR I've got more outputs than TV inputs. They all go into the switcher box, and the switcher box takes one TV input. Easy switching between the 3 now.
Similar things exist for all kinds of inputs, the one I got was super cheap (<$20 I think) because it just did 3 composite inputs. Works great for me though.

Lance
2nd December 2008, 06:45 PM
"Bose doesn't have high end equipment, only high end prices."

Exactly so. Pretenders.

KIGO1987
12th December 2008, 12:45 PM
Your comment about BOSE, is very much true Lance.

Now to get to the good part. I eventually purchased the Z-5500 Logitech speakers i wanted. And FM there great, expecially in Wipeout HD experiencing the full 5.1 surround features, and not to meantion listening to some Pendulum:rock with Bass Boost set a 100% in the Wipeout HD option menu and in the speaker setting itself also.

Been warned these speakers are nuts, and anything that is not secure in close proximity to the speakers will be definatley shifted in a short period of time. One other thing about them, FM! they go hard, got irritating neighbours? This is your solution:g

Darkdrium777
13th December 2008, 10:18 PM
Lol yeah the bass on logitechs is amazing, I've only got the 2.1 system and the bass on it is incredible.

On the subject of irritating neighbours, I thought until recently that Soundclash (by EZRollers from Rollcage 1) was the worst possible song you could play if you wanted them to shut up. I did that once to irritating neighbours and the kick in of the bass at the very beginning was enough to shake the whole house. But it turns out I was wrong. ''Under The Influence'' wins the world cup AFAIK Set the bass to max and you won't have a house left pretty soon because unlike Soundclash where the bass is hard a few times, now it's all the time. :o

KIGO1987
14th December 2008, 01:29 AM
Influence - Chemical Brothers / W3,W3SE

Great! Just tried it then. FM! 10 Seconds or so in and all the stuff if shaking crazy, LOL. Just did the The Ministry of Sound Maximum Bass bass frequency tests yesterday im certain ive cause some structural damage on the beams.

Cheers D777 for the advice:beer

Anyone else can recommend some sik tunes the shake the house, and to get revenge a ****head neighbours????:twisted Cause Slam and Granite has had an absolute blasting recently, any other recommendations?:g

Harvai
14th December 2008, 11:05 PM
Have you tried out Disconnect by Oblivion on your new set-up yet Kigo?

As for constant neighbour annoyance, try the album Andy C's Nightlife 4. A 1hr 17 long drum and bass mix. Its a good enough album anyway.

KIGO1987
15th December 2008, 01:01 AM
Yes Harvai, ive got Disconnect - Oblivion. thats the track that was a free download sample of the Oblivion records website. A bit different to the one on the Pure DL pack, but still fantastic. That **** has an incrediably high tempo in it.

So Andy C's - Nightlife 4 is good, a 1hour 17minute drum and bass sounds sweet. That way i can put it in a playlist on the PS3 by itself and leave the house while its booming away, lol. My poor 1991 VCR is getting a hammering by the 10" sub at the moment better move it somewhere good, its not like you can by a new VCR now days. But ill have a spiz around for that track. What Album would i be able to find that under Harvai? Cheers:g

chboing
15th December 2008, 10:11 AM
got a cambridge A/V ampli
and a nice pair of .... speakers(ANTAL EX) :) (also)

http://www.hifissimo.com/amplificateur-home-cinema-cambridge-540r-v3-noir-29957-1.html

http://www.triangle-fr.com/WD100AWP/WD100Awp.exe/CTX_7224-20-wdUshxLYgW/gamme_Esprit_EX/SYNC_1497711329

i consider myself HAPPY, got a perfect sound for my cd, dvd, bluray, or ps3 games

:p

KIGO1987
15th December 2008, 11:15 AM
Nice:g

Not sure whats the average sized home is in France, if your living in city or something. But you would hear those things from Paris to Nice, lol.

Harvai
16th December 2008, 05:33 AM
But ill have a spiz around for that track. What Album would i be able to find that under Harvai? Cheers:g

That whole track is the album itself. There's about 20 or so tracks mixed into one big long, non-stop one, kinda like Skitzmix. Good for continual play - bad for playing one or two songs!

KIGO1987
16th December 2008, 08:37 AM
Skitzmix, lol. I got a mate who likes playing that insane **** in his car. lol. He also likes doing 7000rpm in his GTi in school zones, dickhead.

Im gonna go to JB-Hi-Fi to have a check, cheers

Zoth-Ommog
21st December 2008, 11:48 AM
Anyone else can recommend some sik tunes the shake the house, and to get revenge a ****head neighbours????:twisted Cause Slam and Granite has had an absolute blasting recently, any other recommendations?:g

Here is few (lots'o'bass) tunes i like myself:

Monday Massacre by Mr.Oizo

Skidoos by Akufen

Siren Song by Fanu

Menhater by Panacea

Dogstar Descends by Lustmord

Transform (Whole Album) by Alva Noto

Visions Of Mars by Blame

Dimension by Tayla

Global Access by Blu Mar Ten

Conquestadores Extraterrestiales by Legowelt

Sunshower (legowelt remix) by Nami Shimada

Addicted by Alan Braxe

This list could go on forever, but there you have some :rock

KIGO1987
23rd December 2008, 09:59 AM
Nice:g will do, cheers:g

yeldar2097
1st January 2009, 03:50 AM
using a 5.1 setup from meridian including all the other gubbins. got special settings just for WO so it all sounds perfick :)

current headphones are a set of bose QC3's which are pretty decent.

and yes i have heard prydz's track, i like it a lot, even if the radio/tv spams it willy-nilly

KIGO1987
1st January 2009, 05:42 AM
What Eric Prydz track is that? Pjanoo? About time that SwedishDJ release an album with his bests hits on it, it'll sell crazy. Im always hunting down his old work, brlliant. I think he is coming to Perth in the next few days, shame the fking car rego is due:(

Sel The Don
12th January 2009, 05:32 PM
Hi all, just a newbie with his AV setup!

Onkyo 605 amp - cant beat it for the price, I auditioned a LOT of amps before this one and for the amount I got it for, it would be hard to refuse really.

Philips 42 PFL 7662 D Telly, with pixel plus this thing rocks! Wipeout HD and Little Big Planet look amazing!!!!

Monitor Audio MA-1200 Gold front speakers, they just sound so awesome. (hopefully being replaced soonish by the Gold R6s)

Jamo Cornet III's for the rears, sound ok, they cost a fiver so I can't really complain.

Mission 77c for the centre.

No sub as of yet as I blew my last one bits ('twas a mission M3A)

IH8YOU
12th January 2009, 10:58 PM
Been using the Z-5500 for over 3 years now - and it's as solid as ever. Great setup.

feisar rocket
13th January 2009, 01:26 AM
on my xbox 360 i hav it connected on my reisever and 2 sub woofers with 5 spekers on it and 4O"tv.halo 3 is crazy

Harvai
28th January 2009, 07:13 AM
I've got a question regarding HDMI. (not really regarding that, but more like what to do with the audio instead)

I bought a HDMI cable to go with my new 22' HD TV. It works fine, and my 360 games now look fantastic (god it hurts to look away), and I'm now wondering how I can re-hook up my stereo.
When I was using the component cable supplied with the console, the L/R cables went to a extension lead that plugged into the back of the stereo. (It'd never reach otherwise)

With those gone I now have nothing to connect to my stereo, and unfortunatley the TV speakers just don't cut it, really. I've tried using an RCA cable I found around the house but that doesn't work. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I'm not the best at audio/visual set-ups so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

rdmx
28th January 2009, 08:49 AM
Just plug in the AV lead you got with the console (assuming it has two ports) and have select sound to come out through the RCA cables? That works on PS3.

Harvai
29th January 2009, 07:05 AM
I've just tried that, but being a Microsoft console, the two ports are spaced too close together and the component is far too big to allow me to have both in use.

Bugger. Oh well, cheers anyway mate

rdmx
29th January 2009, 11:42 AM
Get a smaller component cable? ;)

yeldar2097
29th January 2009, 12:58 PM
yeah that's an option but most of them are quite chunky. thankfully the ps3's ports are nicely spaced apart. i'm sure there's some kind of splitter you could buy. or you could try connecting the stereo to the tv (headphone socket or something), that's what i did before i bought my optical cable.

KIGO1987
29th January 2009, 06:17 PM
Could always consider an optical cable sound system.

The PS3 was designed intellegently, and not rushed, where the location of the ports where considered before the manufactoring stage. Unlike the ****tards at Microsoft who are cleary dumb, and rush things to maximise profit, and make its users endure the worst possible quality of living.

Darkdrium777
29th January 2009, 07:43 PM
Remove the plastic cover of the multi-adaptor so you can hook up HDMI and use the Optical at the same time.

Like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptCB_3DOz4).

eLhabib
30th January 2009, 07:21 AM
No need to mess around with anything. There's a special (official) cable just for that, take a look (http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/3d/5e/bfd6810ae7a01adc7f2ec110.L.jpg) (it's the piece on the right side). You can plug in the normal redandwhite, or an optical cable. You should be able to find it at every electronics store.

Darkdrium777
30th January 2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah, but it's MS. It costs 50$. :naughty

eLhabib
30th January 2009, 07:48 AM
There's always ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIO-VIDEO-HDMI-AV-CABLEGaming-Cables-For-Xbox-360_W0QQitemZ320333210519QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_ Games_Accessories?hash=item320333210519&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50)...

Harvai
31st January 2009, 04:39 AM
yeah that's an option but most of them are quite chunky. thankfully the ps3's ports are nicely spaced apart. i'm sure there's some kind of splitter you could buy. or you could try connecting the stereo to the tv (headphone socket or something), that's what i did before i bought my optical cable.

Thanks, I might try this. The TV has a 'PC Audio' socket, which I assume is a 3.5mm headphone jack from the looks of it. I've got a 3.5mm/RCA adaptor that came with a set of Logitec speakers.

KIGO1987
17th February 2009, 06:06 AM
I was just frigging around with my Logitech Z-5500 system a little while ago, and ive discovered you can crank it up higher than the max volume. After you turn it to the highest setting wait 5 seconds than with the remote or the central control switch turn the volume up again, and it goes into a 'boost' mode setting which goes from +1 to +11. That higher volume causes the continental plates to shift when you have it to that higher reach. Good for Pendulum :D:g

Darkdrium777
17th February 2009, 01:13 PM
I should never have told you about this sound system. Your neighbors are gonna hate you because of me :(

:lol

Cerbis
17th February 2009, 04:50 PM
I feel like such a lightweight with such massive quality sound systems being shown off and admired here!
I just run my PS3 with the AV cable connected to my soundcard's line-in, using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter cable and with my Sennheiser HD 212Pro headphones in the sound card's output.
The upside is that I can record anything off of the PS3 in high quality. I suppose my next step would be a HDMI capture card, for pristine tournament recordings? :g

KIGO1987
17th February 2009, 09:30 PM
I should never have told you about this sound system. Your neighbors are gonna hate you because of me :(

:lol

And they already do, haha.:twisted Serves them right for not STFU when i was trying to get some study done before exams. Im not done until i get satisfactory revenge.

I feel like such a lightweight with such massive quality sound systems being shown off and admired here!
I just run my PS3 with the AV cable connected to my soundcard's line-in, using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter cable and with my Sennheiser HD 212Pro headphones in the sound card's output.
The upside is that I can record anything off of the PS3 in high quality. I suppose my next step would be a HDMI capture card, for pristine tournament recordings? :g

I only had the cash on me to choose between one of the two;
1. A proper Sound System
2. A proper TV Set

My option was to get the Logitech Z-5500 (5.1 surround sound, 1000w, 500RMS, 10'' Sub with optical input), and my god they are worth there money, its probably the only thing built these days that actually lasts. But i still have my now 10year old 51cm CRT tv that i cant see the font in Wipeout HD in. Im still waiting for LCDs to improve before i buy. But when i do im looking for something in the size of a 32''.

Cerbis
17th February 2009, 10:03 PM
Yea, I had a look at the website for the Z-5500. Now that's some shiny specifications! Obviously they're not just a bunch of marketing speak, either?

But what's bad about LCDs, still? It's the blacks isn't it? You just can't get blacks worth a sod with LCDs. Thankfully the response time and color reproduction is quite good these days, enough so even for fast-paced, twitchy shooters and of course, Wipeout.

KIGO1987
18th February 2009, 05:46 AM
Nothing bad is about LCD's. They are still changing. Thats why i have not purchased one yet. I still believe CRT have better and smoother picture quality, but LCD's have much much much better clarity and deffinition for sure. Maybe another year.

Harvai
19th February 2009, 10:25 AM
Looks like I'm gonna have to settle my stereo problem with an official 360 HDMI cable. None of the other methods I've tried worked because my TV doesn't have an Audio Out jack, same as my stereo.

The 360 cable however has the L/R audio jacks in it, so they go straight into the stereo. Downsides? Gonna have to shell out for it, and it'll probably come in that 'we don't care about this' grey colour. Bleh
But hey, thanks to everyone that gave advice!

Good to hear your speakers can go past 11, Kigo! Sometimes loud is not loud enough, eh? Surprised I can't hear it from my place!

KIGO1987
19th February 2009, 11:44 AM
Well if you can hear it from Heardsman lake then you must be getting close to my place:lol

dobyblue
17th March 2009, 01:18 PM
Yea, I had a look at the website for the Z-5500. Now that's some shiny specifications! Obviously they're not just a bunch of marketing speak, either?

But what's bad about LCDs, still? It's the blacks isn't it? You just can't get blacks worth a sod with LCDs. Thankfully the response time and color reproduction is quite good these days, enough so even for fast-paced, twitchy shooters and of course, Wipeout.

Response time has improved, but it's still measure in milliseconds whereas plasma is measure in nanoseconds. The time it takes for a pixel on a plasma to go from off to on to off again is infinitely faster, which is why plasma can score 1080/1080 for motion resolution (like the new Viera sets from Panasonic do).

In addition yes, the blacks are awful when compared to a plasma or CRT. It's no contest. LCD sets come out with these ridiculous 2 million to 1 contrast ratios but when you actually measure them with ANSI they score around 300:1.

The best ANSI rating I've ever seen is 14,000:1 and that's on a Pioneer KURO plasma, which is the best television currently on the market. If you pick up one of those, you'll never go back to anything else.

Here's some shots from the demo disc that comes with a Pioneer Kuro:

Shot 1:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6326/picture081f.png

Shot 2:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9922/picture088k.png

If you want to see more pics you can check out the Kuro Owner's picture thread on the AVS Forums located here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=920011&page=116

Even the newer LED-backlit LCD sets can't compare to the Kuro plasmas, other than in price!!

xEik
17th March 2009, 08:56 PM
You should not post inline images lager than 50 kiB.
Please read the forum rules. http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/announcement.php?f=18

NightArh
9th June 2009, 01:41 PM
What headphones are PSP owners using? I have broken my old scullcandy and it is not easy for me to choose new ones. As you know PSP has very low-power built-in amplifier so cant choose type of portable audio system.. :?

KIGO1987
9th June 2009, 07:36 PM
I got a pair of Creative earphones for $30, they seem ok, as ive been using them for a good year now.

Darkdrium777
9th June 2009, 08:05 PM
Default PSP ones. They have the logo on it :p

Also my Samsung HTX-40 has quite a bit of power coupled with "Under the Influence" :o :g

NightArh
9th June 2009, 08:07 PM
Default PSP ones. They have the logo on it :p

I bought console without default ones (

Darkdrium777
9th June 2009, 08:11 PM
PSP 2000 is sold without them, but:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yP9LWsrtL._SS400_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/PSP-Headphones-Remote-Control-Sony/dp/B000VBI5IW)
*Click on me!*

NightArh
9th June 2009, 08:16 PM
Hm... I want headset for active sports too. These ones will fall out every time I ride the bike

LOUDandPROUD
9th June 2009, 08:18 PM
Just upgraded my home theater (tv and sound system) and, after much research, I went with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker setup (includes a 200W, powered, 8-inch sub) and the Yamaha RX-V465BL 525 Watt 5-Channel Home Theater Receiver. Really fantastic performance for under $800 ($399 for the speakers and $329 for the receiver). Absolutely blows away the Sony HTIB "DVD Dream System" I had bought 6 years ago that it replaced (and which cost me $900 at the time). I had never heard of Energy speakers, but they came highly recommended by CNET, based on performance and price. All of the other venues I checked for reviews spoke highly of them, as well, so my decision was easy. I should also note that the speakers are nice and compact (the front and rears are only 6 inches tall) and they have a nice gloss black finish. As the receiver is a new model, I only got to read a few user reviews, all of which were favorable, so I took a chance and it has not disappointed. Very happy! :)