PDA

View Full Version : sixaxis

JABBERJAW
3rd June 2008, 05:10 PM
Is there a device that will hold the ps3 sixaxis controller in place on a pedestal, and you can tilt it left and right and get some resistance instead of holding it in the air. I think if there was resistance, it would behave more accurately. I could tape it to a steering wheel maybe :)

Darkdrium777
3rd June 2008, 10:15 PM
Hmm I doubt such device exists... I think nobody knows why such a device should exist, including myself. It would restrain too much for the gameplay I think. You can get a DualShock 3 though and get some vibration with Sixaxis (I have one it works really well) so it will feel less like waving a feather in the air.

Or you could try and get one of those things they have at game stores, that hold the controller in place. However they are really resistant to pull.

Here is a linked picture (http://www.techepics.com/files/kiosk_sony_ps_1.jpg)

If you still don't know what I'm talking about, it's the black metal piece that holds the controller to the kiosk so it doesn't get stolen. It is held in mid air, and the arm that holds it has springs and everything to prevent too much force from being applied to it. If you can tweak the springs to be less restrictive, you could use it like you want to.

JABBERJAW
6th June 2008, 01:14 PM
It would be good if you wanted to use the tilt to steer, as long as it didn't hold too hard, like an negcon sort of resistance. It would give a finer tuning than trying to tilt in the air

Rubix42
6th June 2008, 02:09 PM
I can't imagine being able to play effectively if the control was grounded on something.

When I played Lair (pre analog update) the method I used was this.

Sit leaning forward, elbows resting on my legs, hands in the air. It allowed me to hold the controller in the air and tilt as needed without getting the arms tired.

Norfolk'n'Clue
11th June 2008, 12:35 PM
What I think would fit the bill would be a small device that clipped to the centre underneath the controller that had a gyroscope in it. I imagine a wheel of 1.5" diameter made of a material with slightly above-average density should be enough to provide some kind of resistance. I think you'd have to mount it vertically; horizontally it would easier to turn one way or the other depending on the direction of spin, I guess.