PDA

View Full Version : rap music any one

TheFrostE
24th March 2008, 01:48 AM
just wondering here, i know alot of the regulars from around WZ are older late 20-30s. do any of you listen to rap music, i listen to it a TON, almost as much as acid/ambient techno. im not talking about the new crap thats out, im only 20 but i listen to old school, Ganstarr, the roots, fat boys, beastie boys, onyx, tribe called quest, stuff like that. any wipers also fans of rap or are you all tech and/or metal heads?

mdhay
24th March 2008, 09:32 AM
I usually like music from Public Enemy and Run DMC. Outside of that: KoRn, Serj Tankian, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park. Not forgetting WipEout Soundtracks of course.;)

Task
24th March 2008, 02:04 PM
Oh yeah, definitely a Beastie Boy fan here.
I'm also down with the Hobbit Rap (http://www.lordsoftherhymes.com/) and The MC Front (http://frontalot.com/index.php/?page=mp3). And, of course, MC Hawking (http://www.mchawking.com/mp3s/).
Not much beyond them though.

Hmm, looks like I prefer all my rappers with their tongues in their cheeks.

I wonder if they find that dangerous?

Medusa
24th March 2008, 02:22 PM
LOL, Task.
FrostE, I listen to nearly every type of music...except rap. I'm not a metal-head or an E-head...but I do love my electronica!
For rap, I don't mind Missy Elliot because she's so freaking weird, but I generally will go out of my way to avoid rap.:g I guess what bugs me the most is the sloppy/non-existent grammar and tendency towards derogatory slang...:? I love word rhythm but to get that, I read poetry.

mdhay
24th March 2008, 02:29 PM
And don't forget Beethoven for me.

Lance
24th March 2008, 04:37 PM
Rap is the one music genre that I don't listen to. I started my music listening life with classical and 'program' music for large 19th century orchestras, but have listened to many other varieties since. Heavy metal and grunge was my favourite thing in the early 90s, Brit new romantics/synth-pop of the 80s which I didn't get into deeply till the mid 90s, and which is still one of my all-time fave things. I've even listened to some country, which I used to not be able to stand, but some of which I now like. I like some operatic arias [such as e lucevan le stelle] but generally can't sit through an opera. I love Baroque music, old English lute compositions, was disco-crazy in the late 70s; I like Caribbean music such as reggae, ska, and calypso [steel drums, yeah!]. Um... well, you get the idea. Oh, and theatre pipe organ stuff from the 1920s and '30s. And..... Trance, and ....

And let me not forget Radiohead [Paranoid Android, Lucky, Street Spirit, etc.]
Did I mention A-Ha?
And Alphaville.
And The Bravery
And....

TheFrostE
24th March 2008, 06:05 PM
i know what you mean by the slang and derogatory terms they use, i hate that stuff too, thats why you gotta listen to that older pure stuff, when it was all fun and not about the bitches and hos , money and cars. Tribe called quest and beastie boys are great examples of fun kick back rap music

blixabargeld
25th March 2008, 10:12 AM
i listen to very few rap tunes, something of run dmc and the roots..
i really love good 'ol progressive rock from the '70, such as king crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, something of Jethro Tull and the first period of Pink Floyd.
German rock scene, the so called Kraut-rock (Neu!, Kraftwerk, can, faust, ash ra tempel..)
Now i'm mainly listening to Radiohead, (love their lasts) Tool, post-rock bands like Tortoise and Slint and a lot of tech like Aphex twin and Autechre..
i'm really addicted in all that

Lion
25th March 2008, 10:29 AM
I've found that my listening tastes stagnated in the mid-late 90s.
The stuff I listened to then, I still do now.
and a lot of stuff I didn't listen to then but that was out, has worked it's way into my preferences.
I've always avoided most rap but I can get into most of what task listed. and I love a couple of exceptional tracks like U Can't Touch This, and Baby Got Back
Generally I've tended towards rock and electronica. I'm on quite a triphop bent lately. What ever happened to that genre?

Rapier Racer
25th March 2008, 11:53 AM
Rarely will you hear me listening to rap I generally feel that it's a lot of shite. So there :turd

chri5
26th March 2008, 07:28 PM
Still listen to a lot of old school hip hop; JVC Force, Eric B & Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, BDP etc.

TearsToShreds
26th March 2008, 10:17 PM
Blixabargeld, I like yer taste. Didn't expect a Krautrock fan in here. Much better than all the terrible prog-rock from around that time. Also, Slint's album Spiderland is among my favorite albums ever. I like some rap, A Tribe called Quest are good. Wu-Tang Clan and Nas are good too.

blixabargeld
27th March 2008, 12:48 PM
thank you, but kraut rock wasn't better than prog, just different. i think that some lp by king crimson and vdgg are still beautiful and "actual".:)
spiderland is one of my favourite too, can't stop listening nosferatu man and its freaking "riff"!

TearsToShreds
27th March 2008, 03:32 PM
The end to Good Morning, Captain= my favorite moment in music.

blixabargeld
27th March 2008, 08:25 PM
"i miss you!!" great song and great piece of music! beautiful also "washer"... (er, i think we're going a bit OT..) :nod;)

Lance
27th March 2008, 08:57 PM
Not going; already gone.

blixabargeld
27th March 2008, 09:56 PM
sorry lance

Lance
27th March 2008, 10:40 PM
It wasn't really a criticism as much as it was an observation. :)

Chill
28th March 2008, 12:18 AM
I like the hardcore gangster rap only, not pimpin' those bitches with wads of cash... or brushing my shoulders off because I'm Mr. high and mighty just cause I got cash... like Jay-Z or Kanye West, I think they sound lame...

I like the real down and dirty stuff, like DMX, Nitorious B.I.G., Atmosphere, Tupac... you got the idea... anything that gets the heart pumpin' for the gym...

As well as Hard Metal, like Slipknot, Deftones, All That Remains... all that hardcore fast bass-drum and yelling never fails to give me that great feeling of adrenaline rush along with my Black Powder pre-work-out formula before lifting to make me feel like a badass underdog... ;)

TheFrostE
28th March 2008, 02:25 AM
thats pretty beast chill