PDA

View Full Version : [PS1] Rollcage or Rollcage Stage II?

Vincent_VII
8th March 2008, 04:50 AM
I found both at a local game shop for the same price. Which one is better? I only played Rollcage a little but really enjoyed it. I have never played Stage II.

I guess throw Rage Racer into the mix. I am thinking about re-buying that as well.

So... out of the three?

Lion
8th March 2008, 05:10 AM
I'd have to vote for rollcage stage 2
that game has held up well and was better than the original in pretty much every way

Dogg Thang
8th March 2008, 06:34 AM
Yep, I'd agree with Lion. Stage 2 was built on the original and felt much more polished to me.

stin
8th March 2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, Stage 2 are far better than the original version even the music too.

stevie:)

supersocks
8th March 2008, 08:40 AM
I would go for stage 2 simply because it seems to be more rare than the first.

As games, I personally found them pretty equal. Stage 2 has loads of content, cool tracks and it may be a bit more newbie friendly but lacks the character of 1st. I liked the setting and music better in 1st and car handling more rewarding despite few annoying bugs.

No experience with Rage Racer.

DjManiac21
8th March 2008, 11:32 AM
Get both before they disappear! :banzai
I loved Rollcage because it showed me what a good, original racer was at the time, and also showed me what good drum and bass music was all about, never had the chance to play stage II though :(

RJ O'Connell
8th March 2008, 10:18 PM
First the neGcons and now Rollcage and Stage II.

What part of Texas do you live in that has these kick-ass stores, Vincent? O_O

Vincent_VII
9th March 2008, 12:07 AM
Austin... This place has become a video game dumping ground thanks to the University of Texas.

There are two very large mom n' pop video game resale shops in town. Both are larger than your average Gamestop/EBgames. Their prices are about on par with Ebay - sometimes cheaper, sometimes not.

edit: I just sold a relatively rare game I had been holding onto for too long. So I will be picking up those NeGcons and one of the above mentioned games. How do Rollcage and Stage II play with the neggie?

Rapier Racer
9th March 2008, 01:21 AM
Both are great games, they have very different feels. I personally played more Stage II, countless hours upon hours of 99 lap Master level racing, got my moneys worth out of both them I can assure you.

Now I dream of a next gen Rollcage but I fear it will forever remain a dream. It was actually the first thing I thought when I booted up my first Fusion race on Florion Height, my god a Rollcage with these graphics would be awesome!

zargz
10th March 2008, 11:14 PM
I found both at a local game shop for the same price. Which one is better?RC2 8) :+

JABBERJAW
12th March 2008, 12:29 PM
rage racer is nowhere near as good as RR type 4, which IMNSFHO is the pinacle of the ridge racer series. Rage doesn't offer the nice powersliding of other rr offerings

Vincent_VII
12th March 2008, 01:36 PM
^^ I was just thinking about that yesterday. I probably would get R4 over Rage. I also liked the ability to play 4 with a link cable. I even still have two JogCons left from the last time I owned two copies of the game.

As far as Rollcage is concerned - A workmate has basically talked me into buying Armored Core: Last Raven or Armored Core: Nexus. I used to play AC a lot but stopped because I moved away from a group of friends that used to play.

Lance
12th March 2008, 05:47 PM
I'm another R4 fan; I definitely recommend it highly. Your Tastes May Vary.

Vincent_VII
13th March 2008, 08:42 PM
Went to the shop today. Tested out Rollcage Stage II. I was sold. I am now a happy owner of Rollcage Stage II for $10. :cake

Does Stage II support link play? I do not see anything in the manual about it.

supersocks
13th March 2008, 09:19 PM
Don't think so.

stin
13th March 2008, 09:47 PM
Sorry, no :(

stevie:)

taqili
22nd March 2008, 09:09 PM
Damn, R4 was incredible. Ridge Racer V was the reason I (tried to) wanted to buy a PS2 at launch.

SaturnReturn
24th August 2009, 06:34 PM
For anyone who is interested, Rollcage can apparently be downloaded free as abandonware. The link to the download is in the description of the following video:
EDIT: link removed - seems maybe abandonware isn't "in the public domain" as I thought it was.

The video response also claims Stage II is abandonware, but I'm not sure I trust it so much. I have Rollcage installed and working very well indeed on my PC, and my virus software and firewall don't seem to have problems with it, but don't blame me if either of them messes up your PC in any way, i.e. use at your own risk.

Now, anyone know a way to use my six-axis or dual shock 3 with my PC so that I can play this with a playstation controller instead of a sucky keyboard?

EDIT: Never mind, I just found the answer to that question on youtube as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fotFIDi7BHU

yeldar2097
24th August 2009, 09:27 PM
Sat: Alternatively there is a driver you can use: Here (http://www.ps3-hacks.com/file/68)

SaturnReturn
24th August 2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks. I managed to get it working already. I had such trouble trying to make it work on vista but with xp it was simple. Although I may have plugged my controller in too early when i did it on vista, so it's probably just a coincidence.

Anyway, I been playing with classic wipeout tunes in the background through windows media player and it was a lot of fun. It looks like it can be played online too. This could lead to much much free fun. :D

yeldar2097
24th August 2009, 09:32 PM
Free (http://digiex.net/games-downloads/1026-rollcage-stage-ii-2-full-game-patch-1-0c.html)

Rollcage Stage II for freeeeeeeeeee :dizzy

slimjim
24th August 2009, 09:50 PM
Rollcage Stage II as its the one i have

Darkdrium777
24th August 2009, 10:08 PM
I'm not entirely sure as to the legality of this... AFAIK someone somewhere still owns the rights to Rollcage. It's not Studio Liverpool though, sadly. :(

But, open question: has anyone got the PSX CD versions of Rollcage or Rollcage Stage II? 'Cause I know how to play multiplayer with ePSXe on PC. I'd like to try it out if you would like too. Though I think we'd need to have the same game region, so it would have to be someone from NTSC North America...

SaturnReturn
24th August 2009, 10:27 PM
Hmm, OK. Abandonware isn't what I thought it was. It seems if the copyright has been relinquished then it should be freeware. So I've removed the link. If someone can absolutely prove it's fine, then I'll put the link back.

I'll try and get a hold of the CD versions of these though as I still have fond memories of the demo and they seem like loads of fun.

For anyone that would like to try it out in an entirely legal way, the demo of Stage II is still available on the internets without too much searching.

Darkdrium777
24th August 2009, 11:56 PM
What I can say for sure: the copyright on the OST of Rollcage is still enforced by Moving Shadow Ltd. I've had a video removed from Youtube due to Copyright violation (I know right, even with those loud hums from the engines covering the music, still wasn't good enough), so sharing the music is definitely illegal.
The copyright on Rollcage the game is no longer enforced, so it does classify as abadonware. However it's not freeware and will never be.

SaturnReturn
25th August 2009, 06:43 PM
That confuses me even more. The game download doesn't have the music in it. I guess what you say would explain why.

Where did you find out that the copyright is no longer enforced?

Darkdrium777
25th August 2009, 09:01 PM
Here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5225&highlight=Rollcage)

The rights to the Rollcage IP are no longer owned by anyone from what I understand, so there's nobody left to enforce any copyright. That does make both games abadonware.

DawnFireDragoon
1st September 2009, 11:29 AM
just got stage II in the post, 5 mins before i leave for work. rubbish!
i've never played it, so look forward to giving it a go tonight!