PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of wii for ps3

TheFrostE
28th February 2008, 09:01 PM
im picking up my ps3 tommorow, im sick of the wii and how it sits around collecting dust, and i kno ssbb is only a few weeks off but im not one to have a system for one game. ive seen the releases for 08, and they are junk other than that one and maybe mario kart.i am already seeing a handful of recent ps3 games i could see myself enjoying, not to mention HD when its released/ soooo with that said, can you play ps1 games on a ps3 or only the ones you can get through the psn store? id really like to pick up actual copies of the old wipeout games if i can play them on ps3

ps- i know i will need the 80 gig to run older games but can it run the ps1 as well as ps2 games?

mdhay
29th February 2008, 05:49 AM
The 60 gb does that.
Also, nice one, since the wii is a piece of wii compared to ps3 in my opinion. ;)

DjManiac21
29th February 2008, 07:58 AM
It really does work good for me, I play with my wife most of the times, but of course, recently we are both waiting for good games like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy to be released.
Mario Kart will be a good deal, and having the chance to play Wii sports, Wario Smooth Moves and such justifies having a Wii for us at home.
Funny thing, I don't have much space at home, so my Wii and PS3 are actually on top of my slim PS2 :P

Anyways, I'll keep my Wii, it's still working good for us at home :)

element42
29th February 2008, 09:38 AM
The 80gb NTSC model will run a lot of PS2 games (not all) through software emulation. See
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I used a Wii a few times at a friends place but I'm not sure I'd actually use it much myself. Super Mario Galaxy looks fantastic though 8)

Lion
29th February 2008, 09:48 AM
even the most crippled PS3s in terms of backwards compatibility can play PS1 titles fine.
just be aware that this means no negcon. in fact no analogue control at all for wipeout or 2097/XL

one thing I dislike about wii is that most games use motion controls because they are there, rather than because it's the best solution.. and they are just not precise enough for most tasks... also it FORCES you to use them, not giving a fallback option.
generally the PS3 is not guilty of this.. with a few exceptions (LAIR, before the latest patch, for example)

Lance
29th February 2008, 06:46 PM
I don't know whether I would much like the games on the WII, but I do like the fact that Nintendo chose to use relatively simple hardware to make decent games for instead of making people pay through their bleeding noses for something-near-state-of-the-art techno.

element42
29th February 2008, 07:35 PM
In theory I'm with you there, Lance, but playing HD games on my PS3 is just amazing. Decent games + great graphics > decent games. Of course, as you mention there is the hardware price factor. And perhaps, the need to produce 'next-gen' graphics means that a lot of good ideas don't have the financial muscle to make it? But we have the PSN and Xbox marketplace now too. Also, I'm sure more than one great game idea has been crippled by overuse of 'fancy' effects. Mind you, I imagine more than one great game idea has been crippled by insufficient available graphical power. ..

Here I am, having an argument with myself... It's a gift. :|

Lance
29th February 2008, 10:10 PM
Indeed it is, one I indulge in myself quite often.

TheFrostE
1st March 2008, 05:33 PM
well i picked it up last night along with wolfy, he bought one too. got a second interview at software etc. (eb branch). i love ps3 im having so much fun with it, i have not bought a game yet. im waiting for army of two next tuesday, but i have wipeout installed on it and ive been playing that and pulse still. i just gotta buy a headset, my component cables and ill be set to go, so feel free to add me if you want guys, TheFrostE