PDA

View Full Version : 'Other' future racers

nakamura
2nd January 2008, 11:09 PM
As this is a wipeout fansite, im wondering if anyone likes the other games.
F-Zero, Extreme G, Rollcage and others.

Im a huge F-Zero fan too, loved the 64 version.
Not keen on Extreme G but the third title on PS2 was brilliant!

phl0w
3rd January 2008, 12:17 AM
I played F-ZeroX to death. Probably the only other racer next to Wipeout that offers consistent, simple and reliable physics, thus making it THE future-racer for semi-professional competition. Although it got a little frustrating, Jimmy Thai is unbeatable, he spends every moment playing, studying diligently every inch of a track, his records just can't be touched.
Since WO's handling got a little, let's say random, with the implementation of the Barrel Roll mechanic, F-Zero X remains the only hardcore future-racer. 60fps, perfect track design, simple physics that are easy to learn but take years to master (shield=boost, sideshifting, nose nudge), two ship characteristics (grip and slide), one ship to rule them all in both departments (so no disadvantages through choosing the wrong the craft), and a healthy and friendly community that gladly shares the latest track strategies (usually developed by Jimmy Thai).
Oh and a 4-player split screen which is HILARIOUS!

Still playing it from time to time, but without regular practice you get destroyed by he A.I.!

Chill
3rd January 2008, 02:52 AM
Whatever happened to Road Rash?!!! I think a newer better version should come out for the PS3...

bloseth
3rd January 2008, 06:46 AM
It was Rollcage that got me into futuristic racers, but I've played F-zero on both the GBA and GC, and ExtremeGIII on the GC. Actually meant to play the latter here the other day...

swift killer
3rd January 2008, 10:39 AM
I loved Rollcage, only problem is there is'nt much hope of a new one as the rights disappears along with Acclaim, but I recon Bizzare Creations (don't know what they are known as now but they make Project Gotham) might have it.

RJ O'Connell
3rd January 2008, 05:42 PM
F-Zero GX was a fantastic game - it was one of the few games besides Wipeout where it was well worth your effort to almost kill yourself trying to beat the game. I also own F-Zero and X...

...Quantum Redshift actually had a decent racing engine, it's a shame that it never recieved more acclaim than it did.

Extreme G is a great series, someone should have the rights to the series since Acclaim folded, and I'd love to see an installment forthe current generation of systems.

Does Jet Moto/Jet Rider count as a future racer? :/

nakamura
3rd January 2008, 08:24 PM
F-Zero is a classic. Not actually played the Gamecube version yet but done the rest. Love the feel and circuit design on X, and even the rock music suits!!

Also love Extreme G 3 on PS2/GC, apart from the obvious sound barrier gimick its the only racing game with sheer awesome vibration in the visuals the conveys the violent feeling of mental speed.
Which reminds me of Powerdrome, anyone play it on Xbox? PS2 was poor but Xbox had a huge feeling of scale and a great violent feeling of speed.

Rapier Racer
3rd January 2008, 11:39 PM
Yeah Rollcage, Rollcage Stage II to be precise, 99 lap races on Master difficulty talk about a fight, if I hadn't found Wipeout this would be my favourite. Killer Loop was another one I spent some good hours on interesting system that game had in place. The Killer Loop mode itself was great, sheer speed or you loose.

noc
6th January 2008, 04:32 AM
well... nobody remember star wars pod racer? i'm not star wars fan but had alot of fun with pod racer game. buying parts, very fast tracks, good level design. if you still not played you better check it out.

and yes its little bit old.

BulletWraith
7th January 2008, 10:35 AM
Star wars Episode One racer(N64) was an Awesome game, I just about Finished the whole thing, the upgrades were a fun part of the game and all the different ships to earn, great depth of control and variety of Ships

as I was a Nintendo gamer I didn't play wipEout back then(duno if wo64 got a release over here) so I got Extreme-G, loved that game to death, can't remember any of the tracks it was so long ago, but I remember two bikes in particular: Grimace was a default bike that was purple the the Character from Micky-D's but it had giant sharp teeth as it's paint job, wonderful machine, so was Neon, but Roach was my favourite

F-Zero-X was also a great game, hours upon hours of that game in the summer, great metaly soundtrack too

Chur
churr

-zer0shen

Airrider
10th January 2008, 01:19 AM
F-Zero, Extreme-G, and WipEout. I consider these the holy trinity of futuristic racing. I loved F-Zero GX and was all over XGIII (although I do have the original Extreme G). I had the Gamecube version of XGIII, and I heard that the handling felt a little more satisfying on the GC version...dunno why, but OK.

I played Star Wars Racer and got everything, but only by being a cheating bastard. I did complete the game without cheats, but I was an impatient completionist and decided to go for getting all the best parts...so I did.

Does NGEN Racing count as a futuristic title? I have been searching far and wide for a ROM of this great game that I sadly missed. Basically, the game was a sim-style plane racing game that took place in a future where modern jets are retired for newer, more advanced fighter aircraft. So what to do with the glut of retired, real-world jets? Companies and racing teams buy the old planes and turn them into lithe, fast racing jets.

G'Kyl
10th January 2008, 06:43 AM
Does NGEN Racing count as a futuristic title? I have been searching far and wide for a ROM of this great game that I sadly missed. Basically, the game was a sim-style plane racing game that took place in a future

Hmmmm.....
;-)

You should try getting a copy from eBay or some second hand store. It's fast, it's got great physics, it's not weapon-overloaded and it's from some of the former WO team members.

Ben

bloseth
10th January 2008, 06:44 AM
I had XGIII on PS2 and read the same thing. Bought the GC version and was amazed at the difference. I gave the PS2 version to my brother or something afterwards. The only graphic difference I found was the rain effect on some tracks. That actually looked better on the PS2.

Regarding the handling. PS2 felt flimsy, and the GC made the bikes seem heavier and more accurate.

Airrider
11th January 2008, 12:19 AM
Hmmmm.....
;-)

You should try getting a copy from eBay or some second hand store. It's fast, it's got great physics, it's not weapon-overloaded and it's from some of the former WO team members.

Ben

Well, my problem was that there's a gap between "20 years later" future and "200 years later" future...you know, that NGEN Racing might be a sort of "20 years later" future, but not FUTURE future...

JABBERJAW
11th January 2008, 01:41 AM
did gamecube version have 4 player? or link?

G'Kyl
11th January 2008, 05:55 AM
I can see what you're getting at, Airrider. Was merely kidding anyway. :) Seriously, then, I think N-Gen has to be accounted for as a futuristic racer since the game mechanics, the soundtrack, the flashy graphics and not to forget the initial setup, storywise, cover all the clichees you'd expect from that sub-genre and hardly any aspect of more common racing games.

Ben

bloseth
11th January 2008, 06:18 AM
did gamecube version have 4 player? or link?

Splitscreen four player... :robot

chri5
11th January 2008, 07:03 AM
Mag Force Racing on the Dreamcast!

*Mods, perhaps you could merge my 'Am I the only person who remombers..' thread into this one, I didn't see this thread when I started that one.*

Purp]=]
14th January 2008, 12:46 PM
:mr-t the fourth title for extreme G was good XGRA but i got to agree with nakamura extreme g 3 is the best so far but then again so was the first one

nakamura
21st January 2008, 10:09 PM
Extreme G 3 was the only one with a solid graphics engine, the rest were all over the place. Never heard of the NGEN thingy, gonna check it out.

Speaking also of Pod racer.....anyone play the arcade version?? With the dual throttle controls and huge screen.

That rocked!

Purp]=]
22nd January 2008, 07:05 PM
nevva played the arcade pod racers

nakamura
23rd January 2008, 06:15 PM
Was pretty good, Mainly for the size of the screen and huge cabinet with dual thruster control. And of course arcades were far more powerful back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WosIOubiXog&feature=related