PDA

View Full Version : Burnout Paradise

Chrono
24th December 2007, 02:00 PM
This game looks freaking amazing. Reminds me a lot of Need for Speed: Most Wanted, which I thought was quite cool. Too bad I don't have a next gen system yet...sigh. I heard the online is really ground breaking on this game. There are no lobbies really, you drive around in a huge city with other people online, and there are little challenges you can do within it (which I hear are the most fun) and people can challenge you to a race (which I understand is very customizable). Sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Plus Burnout rocks. They need to bring back the old crash puzzles from Takedown back though

Renegäde
24th December 2007, 07:53 PM
Just tried the demo out, seems like a pretty sweet game. The whole freedom around the city seems pretty similar to test drive unlimited but with the burnout style of things. One to watch out for in january thats for sure.

RingoSpoon
27th December 2007, 12:58 PM
I cant wait for January to get a hold of this - Burnout rocks! :)

Chrono
14th January 2008, 08:37 AM
Mauro bought a PS3 and most of our time on it has been playing Burnout Paradise. This game isn't good, it's friggen amazing, like top 5 best games I've ever played good. It's a single player game, online. They blend together seemlessly. You can be driving around your city offline and suddenly decide you want some people to mess around with, just turn on online and you have 7 people with you, instantly, all the while everything going on in single player is constant in online, like your current postion and stuff you've messed up. Online isn't about races or TT's, it's just about fooling around, getting the longest drift so everyone knows, then they can try and beat you. Or maybe you just want to drive around and take other drivers out, do it.

Guys, this game is amazing, it's like Need for Speed: Most Wanted done 30times better. If you have a next gen console, download the demo and go online. You wont regret it

infoxicated
14th January 2008, 09:51 AM
I've played the demo and it was alright, but the lack of things to do made it a bit dull.

I have high hopes for the full version, though - definitely getting that on the 25th for sure. Best Burnout since Burnout 2, quite probably. :D

Chrono
14th January 2008, 11:57 AM
I cant believe just thought it was alright. Mauro and I were blown away with online. I thought Burnout: Takedown was the best, period. It breathed life back into the series.

infoxicated
14th January 2008, 12:29 PM
I prefered it when it was a racing game with spectacular crashes, where the reward for the risk was the speed boost attained by a full burnout meter.

When EA bought Criterion and shaped it into Need for Speed: Daytime, complete with emo teenager music, it kind of lost its appeal for me. Plus the elastic AI straight out of NFS and the fact you could boost at any time without having to charge up the Burnout meter first just robbed it of the character that Burnout 1 & 2 had.

Went from a racing game to a crash-em-up.

Myself, I miss the old mechanics and the odd night time course. I don't see the dazzling sunlight of Paradise City offering much in terms of variety when it comes to lighting conditions.

Hyper Shadow
14th January 2008, 06:59 PM
If it wasn't forbidden, I'd have quoted Infox for truth :p Thats exactly how I felt post Burnout 2.

Burnout Revenge was quite enjoyable online when I first got my 360, but it still wasn't Burnout at its best.

As for Paradise, I don't know, something is putting me off getting it so I may have to wait a while for the price to come down.

nakamura
23rd January 2008, 06:19 PM
I agree Burnout has lost its racing essence. But the online mode does sound amazing on Paradise.

rejj
24th January 2008, 12:01 AM
I tried out the demo, and was quite underwhelmed.
However, this could be that by all accounts the demo is genuinely underwhelming. From what I have read/seen of reviews and previews and whatnot the full game has an event on every single intersection in the city.

The demo only gave us a tiny amount of things to do, so most of the time in the demo was spent driving around aimlessly kinda like GTA or NFS but with burnout handling/physics going on.

Even so, I'm not going to rush out and buy this one. I might wait until someone else I know gets it and have a fiddle with the full thing first. I don't think the demo was a good representation of what the game is going to be like, but it put me off enough to be wary.

I guess that leads to an interesting problem... how do you make a demo for a game like this, and not have it totally fail to actually demonstrate what the game will be like? Pack it with much more stuff, but add a demo time limit?

Chrono
24th January 2008, 09:29 AM
I couldn't disagree more

infoxicated
24th January 2008, 11:05 AM
With whom? :?

I've pretty much made my mind up that I'll be picking this up at the weekend. I think the demo let the game down, and I'm willing to believe that the full version will be a much more complete experience.

rdmx
24th January 2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, the full game, there are events at every intersection. The demo had only a few events and a big city, so a lot of aimless wandering. Didn't do any sort of justice to the actual game I'd think.
Regardless, I'm probably gonna pick it up too.
(Ultimate goal: take down rob at least once when i get it :P)

DjManiac21
24th January 2008, 11:44 AM
We could probably do some racing online this weekend, depending on how expensive the game is here, Uncharted was outrageously pricey, 72 euros... (¬_¬')

And my apologies to those who send me messages on the PS3, I still have to figure a lot about it that's why I never answer...
I'm having so much fun with the PS3, between demos and cheap PSN games which are quite good like StarDust...

Anyways, back on topic, Burnout... :banzai

infoxicated
26th January 2008, 08:11 AM
I put about three hours into this last night before passing the batton to my girlfriend who put a couple of hours in herself. It's good fun, but unfortunately I couldn't go online because there was a problem with the patch it downloaded.

If I let the game download the 1.1 patch it would just freeze part way through booting up, but you need that patch to play online. So I had to just cancel the patch download and let the game load from the disc.

Hopefully the issue will resolve itself and I can get to race online at some point. :)

mdhay
26th January 2008, 08:46 AM
I remember that happening when I was on The Orange Box.The pop - up after a while said "[Buddy Icon] is now offline". :confused

infoxicated
26th January 2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I saw you were playing The Orange Box at the time - I wondered if it was network issues that were causing it. Like the game was trying to connect to a remote server to verify the integrity of the patch and that was why it was freezing there.

I'll try again later on tonight... but Ikea awaits. :o

Renegäde
17th February 2008, 02:48 PM
I bought this back when it first came out and ive really enjoyed it. Very different if your used to or were banking on a traditional style Burnout but once you get used to the compass/mini-map and know your way around its great fun. Bit underwhelmed by the demo but it was enough to keep me interesting in the game and the online in the main game is far better than that in the demo. And the way your able to switch from single player to online works surperbly and deserves alotta credit.

If any 360 users out there fancy playing sometime my XBL Gamertag is WipeoutJunkie

RJ O'Connell
18th February 2008, 08:54 PM
To anyone whose played both: This or NFS ProStreet?

Renegäde
20th February 2008, 05:44 PM
Well ive only played the demo of prostreet and I didnt really like it. While I havent played the full game the NFS series has gone downhill and Carbon was complete dogshit so im a bit biased. If your a fan of the Burnout series though its real great fun and points the series in a new direction.

RJ O'Connell
8th August 2008, 07:44 PM
I'm late coming, but HOLY **** this kicks ProStreet's ass into another dimension!

I miss the full-blown traffic checking from Revenge, and the soundtrack is best described as "15% awesome, 85% radio-friendly filler" - though hearing Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" again brings back very fond memories of Road Rash on the PS1 (hint, hint, EA.)

I'm also impressed with the variety of cars, and with bikes soon to come...why didn't I pick this up sooner?

(because I was broke, duh!)

Harvai
11th August 2008, 10:02 AM
To anyone whose played both: This or NFS ProStreet?

I own Prostreet for the 360, and while its not a bad game, its not a good game either. Tries to be a street racing game and a racing sim, but kinda screws up both. Gets boring after a while. Same cars, same bodykits, same poor excuse for a 'story'. I've since given up and returned to Forza/GRiD/PGR4/Ridge Racer, whatever takes my fancy.

Haven't played much of Paradise (only a hour or so at a mates place) and I think its waaay better. Crashes are still bone-jarring cringe-fests. Going to have to keep my eye out for it at the shops.

KIGO1987
11th August 2008, 12:37 PM
I'm late coming, but HOLY **** this kicks ProStreet's ass into another dimension!

I miss the full-blown traffic checking from Revenge, and the soundtrack is best described as "15% awesome, 85% radio-friendly filler" - though hearing Soundgarden's "Rusty Cage" again brings back very fond memories of Road Rash on the PS1 (hint, hint, EA.)

I'm also impressed with the variety of cars, and with bikes soon to come...why didn't I pick this up sooner?

(because I was broke, duh!)

Damn i love that game road rash with the motorbikes and weapons and all, damn things where so simple and fun back in the 90s, all the old games that where just the best, Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Ace Combat, Vigilante 8, Rally Cross the old school Crash Bandicoot series by Naughty Dog, i wanna find a copy of Road Rash now:)

Burnout Paridise is the only racing game that is in the shops that i still want to buy, but i cant seem to find it for some reason. Got the demo on the PS3 though. I dont like the goddam trigger controls on the game, having 'x' as the accelerator over the the 'R2' trigger is better because your index finger is not slipping off the trigger button.

RJ O'Connell
11th August 2008, 10:57 PM
Burning Routes piss me off so much in this game...as someone once said, it's like getting blood from a stone. Nevermind the fact the traffic gets in the way, or that I always miss the turns I need to make in the downtown area, but the fact that I've missed passing the event by mere fractions of a second so many times is just...ugh.

infoxicated
12th August 2008, 08:17 AM
The Burning routes can be a pain at first, but once you know the city a bit better they're a great way of upgrading your garage. Some I haven't bothered with because I don't like the car, but others have really paid off by delivering a car I've gone on to make good use of.

Cant wait to play Burnout again when I go home at the weekend - living in a hotel without my PS3 is kind of sucky!

RJ O'Connell
12th August 2008, 08:05 PM
And for the record, the Takedown 4x4 is absolute garbage. Unless you're doing Road Rage events around I-88 over and over, don't pick this truck. Unless you enjoy turning with the grace and responsiveness of a sloth.

BIG EDIT: So it appears Sony's putting the full game up for download at $29.99 USD. And the bike + night time pack is soon to arrive - like, weeks. Makes me wish when I got my 360 out of service they would have given me 12 months of Live Gold instead of just ONE!

Hellfire_WZ
12th September 2008, 08:04 PM
Good news for Burnout Paradise owners, the bike pack is due out next Thursday! :D

RJ O'Connell
12th September 2008, 08:09 PM
With no boost, because the bikes will be just as fast as any car you can use.

I love that. :+

infoxicated
12th September 2008, 09:36 PM
Sweet - hopefully I'll have some time back home to play it. :)

fusionfrenzy
12th September 2008, 11:02 PM
I only got this last week myself (when I got my PS3, in anticipation of Wipeout HD ;) ), and It's...hmmm. Sometimes, I think its phenomenal, other times, confusing and infuriating. I love the speed and the soundtrack, and LOVE Road Rages, but I hate how much traffic there is, how many tiny little sticky-out-bits there are between roads/offroads that you can snag your car on as you turn, and I despise getting lost mid-race. So it's a mixed bag for me. Sometimes i'm glad they had the ambition to do something so bold and different, sometimes I just want Burnout 3 HD.

RJ O'Connell
13th September 2008, 09:11 PM
So now they've thought of Commercial Vehicles and Airplanes planned for future updates? (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6197673.html)

This could be either awesome or disastrous and it's leaning towards the latter. Keep it simple, Criterion.

Chrono
14th September 2008, 01:35 AM
Meh, I think the planes addition won't affect the game. If they add that nonsense I'm sure it will be completely detatched from the car racing, so it can't really hurt the game. Let them add Ninja Turtles if they want to, I'm just glad they are paying the game attention.

DjManiac21
14th September 2008, 12:27 PM
I'm sure the game sold well, but I doubt this kind of free support will be given to any future releases.
Nowadays it's all about getting the game out, if it sells well they will throw in some DLC at "X" price, were "X" is proportional to the success/units sold.
If the game didn't do well and DLC was in the works for it they'll release it for free, waiting to see a peak in sales.

I'm not saying this is bad, is just too business-oriented, for my taste.

We'll be getting plenty of hours on Paradise for sure after next week! :+

infoxicated
14th September 2008, 04:42 PM
For me it's been one of the stand-out games so far on the PS3. I go back to it, but there's only so much enthusiasm you can conjure up for a game you bought back in January.

I'm hoping the bike pack brings a renewed sense of enthusiasm, and the Islands pack should too. The way Criterion have approached the whole DLC and community website thing has been commendable - certainly puts to shame some other efforts I've seen out there - even ones I've been involved in.

RJ O'Connell
14th September 2008, 06:01 PM
Given all the in-game advertising I'm not surprised the Davis update is free. and given all the in-game adverts in PoorStreet I'm surprised they weren't giving it away for free. (Even then I still wouldn't waste my time. ;))

Chrono
16th September 2008, 05:32 PM
The in game advertisements don't really bother me so much. Most other EA games have a much larger problem with it. Fight Night is just terrible.

Been playing Burnout quite a bit these past few days.

infoxicated
16th September 2008, 05:47 PM
I'm not getting home until Friday evening now, but hopefully I'll be able to get it downloaded and spend some time on it this weekend. Hopefully see you online for some of the bike specific multiplayer challenges. :)

Hellfire_WZ
18th September 2008, 08:15 PM
Well I've got the pack, and i've got mixed feelings about it. The bikes are really fun to ride, easy to control, and go like **** off a shovel. The Burning Rides and Road Rules however, have so far been insultingly easy.

Also, when you crash, the rider mysteriously disappears. One can only assume that you twat the wall so hard that the rider immediately shuffles off this mortal coil and joins the Choir Invisible...

infoxicated
18th September 2008, 09:29 PM
What were you expecting - for the Bikes Pack to come with the Pain mod? ;)

Hellfire_WZ
18th September 2008, 09:37 PM
Now THAT would be a game ;)

RJ O'Connell
19th September 2008, 03:58 AM
At those speeds the rider would literally explode in a fireball upon impact with the asphalt. :g

Yome NetSan
19th September 2008, 07:34 AM
Hi,
The things that anoying me about this bike update are that there's only "against the clock" challenge and the emptyness of the roads.
Is it me or is there much less cars when you ride a bike ? And there's no other bike in town !

Hellfire_WZ
19th September 2008, 08:09 AM
That's very true, the roads do seem less populated. Hopefully once you've got the license, there are others to unlock and the roads start to fill up a bit again.

cnmth
23rd September 2008, 10:56 AM
@ bike, the roads stay less populated with a 100% license, dont know about 101% but i think it will be the same.

infoxicated
23rd September 2008, 11:37 AM
Still cant wait to get home and play this - I'm looking forward to some serious relaxation time after working for 16 days straight! :dizzy

Asayyeah
23rd September 2008, 03:06 PM
You deserve it Rob, we want a friend/admin in full health for HD launch ( or why not 'the last guy' from psN if you are not passionate for HD )

Hellfire_WZ
23rd September 2008, 04:31 PM
I'll be online tonight if you want to try a few challenges :)

infoxicated
23rd September 2008, 09:05 PM
My head is too fuzzy to play tonight, so I probably wont get on until the weekend - by which time I guess you'll be on WipEout HD and I wont be.

I already have The Last Guy, Arnaud - was playing it like mad up until I went away for work, but that was a fortnight ago, now.

RJ O'Connell
23rd September 2008, 09:10 PM
Ugh. The Davis update is still Gold Level restricted on XBL. With all the ads on the Xbox Live dashboard you'd think a year wouldn't STILL cost nearly as much as a full game. :-

But that's another rant for another thread...yeah, I needs my bikes.

cnmth
25th September 2008, 02:07 PM
wwhooho Trophy's !
but 1 downside, if u wanna get em all you have 2 fully replay the game from the start...
Cba doing that.
Ill just get the trophys that are still available if u already completed the game.

:)

infoxicated
25th September 2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, there's no way I'm playing from the start again, but I put some good time in tonight to unlock a few. I was right in the middle of a long road rules race when I got a phone call, then while I was talking my little girl flipped off the frickin' power socket switch and turned everything off. :|

Going to get some more time in tomorrow night, I hope - the trophies have motivated me to get stuck in again, as well as the bike pack. Well done Criterion! :+

RJ O'Connell
25th September 2008, 10:37 PM
If I end up switching consoles for Paradise the deal with trophies would work out nicely - though to be honest, I couldn't deal with the Burning Route frustration twice :bomb

Haven't fired up the Ecksbawks yet to see if Davis has become available for Silver users. Damn Silver-Level.

oggob
26th September 2008, 12:21 AM
While there is a great deal of Trophies that you need to start again for... you don't actually have to lose your game file though...

Get as many as you can with your current file then save...

Then, backup the Burnout Paradise Save file to External flash or HDD...

Delete Save file, play game and blitz through and get rest of trophies...

Synch Trophy List, as the Trophies are stored with the Sony Servers, not the game save file...

once you have all that you need, then re-install your real game save...

infoxicated
26th September 2008, 09:39 AM
:o

Brett!? Long time no 'stralian! ;)

That's good advice man - I would never have thought of doing that. :)

Still, I don't think I can bring myself to play from the start again - even though it would probably be easier to win a lot of the early challenges now that I know the city a lot better.

Some of the "Race from Wildcats Stadium to the Wind Farm" long-haul events would just piss me off if I had to do them again, although the day/night cycle would certainly add interest! :)

RJ O'Connell
26th September 2008, 04:17 PM
There's been a large influx of both

1) old-school WZ users from the phpBB days
2) Current and former SL staff

to the forums.

I would dread facing oggob head to head with the fastest cars and bikes - after reaching Zone 151 long ago everything must feel like slow-motion :eek

oggob
26th September 2008, 10:42 PM
actually there are days where I can't drive the cars at all and smash into anything and everything...

bikes on the other hand... really really enjoyed what they have done with them, feels very solid... but it's not slow motion at all... it's like the matrix bending... :p

honestly, there is no way i'll end up re-creating my magic with Fusion... lol

AG-wolf
27th September 2008, 04:17 AM
Just a quick question.. what are all of the free update packs for BO: Paradise? I downloaded the Bikes one today, but it's supposedly the second or third and I can't seem to find them anywhere. I've got the 360 version, and typically everything is organized by each individual game, but the bikes pack is the only one that shows up...

rdmx
27th September 2008, 07:54 AM
I though the rest of them were added as patches/title updates?

RJ O'Connell
27th September 2008, 07:33 PM
I think Cagney was a bug-fix - it should be lumped in with the Davis update.

Speaking of Davis...W'O"MG!!! Riding the crotch rocket is comparable to running WOXL at Phantom speeds. It's almost as exciting - plus I've already knocked out most of the Offline Road Rules. Riding at night is amazing.

infoxicated
28th September 2008, 09:31 AM
I found it almost impossible to ride out in the countryside at night, but then the brightness on my telly is a little out!

oggob
28th September 2008, 10:35 AM
The trouble with seeing though, do you guys find it's the actual roads themselves and where to turn off? because it can be difficult in normal daylight also, depending on the speed you are going...

Personally, no issues with the day night cycle, looks just as crisp as it ever did (love my Sony Bravia! :D ), Fog/Mist is the only thing that makes it harder, as headlights/tail-lights have closer popup...

And those that are still up in the air about starting again for trophies... it's not too bad... I'm 40 events away from the "hardest" trophy and I've probably only put in about 10hrs into it...

Still awaiting the Burnout Van to show it's head also... so I can get those couple as well...

RJ O'Connell
28th September 2008, 03:27 PM
Riding through the countryside on the Firehawk, I felt like I was running the Isle of Man TT. :g

Harvai
3rd October 2008, 10:19 AM
Bought this for the 360 yesterday, and in the hour-and-a-half I played it, I fell in love with it. Controls are great, music is great (Finally EA get this right for a change) and the crashes are still AWESOME!

Now I wanna get Live so I can get in on this bike action you guys are talking about. One question - do the bikes have riders? Because I haven't seen drivers in any of the cars.

rdmx
3rd October 2008, 11:35 AM
I think I read somewhere that there are riders, but they disappear when you crash :| (haven't played it myself yet)
So no cool ragdoll action.

kanar
9th November 2008, 11:57 AM
guys, this upcoming download content looks... like wipeout : Jansen "delorean/back to the future", L3 button to activate the wiper style lol

http://www.ps3gen.fr/~rhada/image/burnout/burnout2.jpg

Task
9th November 2008, 03:00 PM
... I wonder how long before Ben gets that game just for the Delorean?
... We might not see him for a little while! 8 D

RJ O'Connell
9th November 2008, 03:02 PM
It reminds me of Hi-Octane, not just because it's a floating car in a game published by Electronic Arts.

Wait, that's the only reason it reminds me of Hi-Octane.

b4p
13th January 2009, 12:25 AM
i finally bought this game over the weekend; it's awesome. it's right up there with wipeout HD on my list of favorite PS3 games.