PDA

View Full Version : PSP now a paperweight

BARTgai
18th December 2007, 08:01 PM
well, it happened. two minutes ago, i was racing on wipeout pure, finished a race, and went back to the menu. it had those loading bars and i waited, and waited, and waited some more. i then put my ear next to the UMD drive, and heard some weird sounds coming from it. so i quit the game by going to my home menu. went to the game section, and the disk wouldn't show up. at this point, i figured maybe my disk got some stuff on it or was scratched. It looked totally fine. I tried a different game. no luck.

at this point, i am very angry

1. i saved up a **** load of money to buy my PSP and Wipeout Pure
2. NOW I CANT PLAY PURE OR PULSE!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

can anyone please help me?

CR4SH3D
18th December 2007, 08:09 PM
when did you get it? :S was it 2nd hand?
you should be able to take it back if it wasnt

BARTgai
18th December 2007, 08:13 PM
i got it when it came out in 2005, a brand new one

i just restarted my system, then the menu wouldnt load, so i popped out my disk, put it back in, and now im watching wipeout pure load without any problems

no idea what just happened

CR4SH3D
18th December 2007, 08:30 PM
:S weird indeed maybe its happened to someone else before
any idea if the slim line psps are better than the older ones?

Rapier Racer
18th December 2007, 08:54 PM
Slim PSP is much better than PSP fat, lighter, better d-pad, screen, quicker loading. I expect the UMD drive will be pretty much the same.

BARTgai
18th December 2007, 09:01 PM
forget what i said in the second post. tried starting a track, same story, quite to home, no disk load and weird sounds from drive.

looks like ill be getting a new psp

Flashback Jack
18th December 2007, 09:16 PM
We've been seeing a rash of these suddenly-dead PSPs lately. What folks don't realize, however, is that their hard earned dollars don't necessarily have to out the window because they're quite fixable indeed. The solution in this case, some might suggest, rides an ethical fine line if you're inclined to take a moral high ground concerning the various "non-standard" methods of PSP "repair." Fill in the blanks.

Personally when a two hundred dollar device of mine dies, I'd simply want it fixed in the cheapest manner possible so that I may prolong my enjoyment of what I paid for, for as long as possible.

Bartgai, hang onto your PSP, post around on the Internet about your sitation and listen carefully for the answer. Anything else I say on the matter falls outside the scope of this messageboard. Of course, if you can't be bothered, pack that baby up and post it attention Flashback Jack. Priority mail, please. :)

Yours,

Flashback Jack

BARTgai
18th December 2007, 09:22 PM
yes, i you have a very good point there. the thing is, i would never attempt to self service my PSP. I just sent an email to Sony about the problem, and i may be able to send it in for repairs.

*fingers crossed*

Flashback Jack
18th December 2007, 09:28 PM
But self-servicing PSPs is fun and educational and a source of unlimited, ahem, wealth. Knowledge-wise anyway.

By the way, have you seen my transparent PSP? That project kicked my ass, I tells ya!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10669139@N02/1919293628/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10669139@N02/1919293750/

By the way, assuming your PSP is out of warranty and Sony disappoints you with a high dollar value on that repair job, resort to Plan B.

- F

BARTgai
18th December 2007, 09:33 PM
DUDE, that PSP ....KICKS...ASS!:dizzy

ya, im sure im out of the warranty ( bought this thing like 2 years ago )

what im thinking is that the laser head may be out of alignment, as everything else seems to be working

I'm looking into getting a slim, it looks very nice and shiny, and the 64mb of RAM is just what i need

*i think i ment to post this topic in the off-topic area. my bad :( *

CR4SH3D
18th December 2007, 10:31 PM
you could fix your old one and sell it to get money for a slim

JABBERJAW
19th December 2007, 12:35 AM
I'll buy it for the right price :) I need a power supply for one of my modded psps. Just pm me

BARTgai
19th December 2007, 01:51 AM
heh, ya im sure you guys would have a party with a psp that now sounds like the UMD drive will explode any minute.

Well, i made up my mind, i just added a PSP slim on my christmas wish list, right next to wipeout pulse :g

still not sure what i will do with my old one

( heck, maybe i CAN use it as a paperweight lol )

JABBERJAW
19th December 2007, 02:28 PM
I would take it apart and use the power supply. I really would like to purchase from you. Just give a private message for how much? No joke really, ask Arnaud how my psps looked at the tourney :)

Chrono
19th December 2007, 02:56 PM
*cough*pandora*cough*

do a search for that, and then you can play wipeout again

Neo-Tech
19th December 2007, 04:04 PM
Use Pandora as said above. Google around for a bit and see what you can find.

Lance
19th December 2007, 04:33 PM
If you're gonna do *coughing*, it's gonna have to be in PMs, guys, not out in public where mods know about it. I personally do not know what you're talking about here and I want it to stay that way :)

Flashback Jack
19th December 2007, 06:33 PM
Like I said, it's a fine line, but I didn't mention any names. Personally. :)

- F

BARTgai
19th December 2007, 07:36 PM
um, if this involves hacking my PSP in some way.. not gonna happen.

q_dmc12
19th December 2007, 11:29 PM
1). check to see if the disk cartridge is ...injured in anyway (i.e. plastic cover over the disk label is popped-in)

2). Rubbing alcohol dampened q-tip to the laser lens eye works wonders (speaking from experience;))

Sausehuhn
20th December 2007, 11:51 AM
The 1st thing just happend to me yesterday. I was putting in my Pure-disk and was like "what the heck?!" The UMD-drive made a noise that really did not sound right ^^

Took a bit of time till I realized that it may be my UMD that is damaged. The transparent plastic cover was indeed popped-in. I pushed a microfiber cloth between the cover and the actual disk and pushed the cover carefully back to it's original position. Now the UMD is fine again and the drive sounds like it should :)

Asayyeah
20th December 2007, 01:29 PM
i just restarted my system, then the menu wouldnt load, so i popped out my disk, put it back in, and now im watching wipeout pure load without any problems . no idea what just happened

that has happened to me last year but in a special situation : psp fell on the floor , screen frozen and umd did a weird sound while refusing loading ( remember that 'special moment' spk ? for my 1st night in Kai multiplayer with you :D ) after 2 days not touching it ( psp and not spk , lol ) it was running like a charm : psp haunted ? black voodoo-isation of it ?

I would take it apart and use the power supply. I really would like to purchase from you. Just give a private message for how much? No joke really, ask Arnaud how my psps looked at the tourney :)
can we say that they are still psps... not sure :D

JABBERJAW
20th December 2007, 02:32 PM
well, one is up and running for pure

q_dmc12
20th December 2007, 04:22 PM
Still steering on their own?:p

Asayyeah
20th December 2007, 09:01 PM
Al's famous haunted psptotv :robot