PDA

View Full Version : Security numbers stolen!

mdhay
20th November 2007, 06:29 PM
Everyone in the uk has had their details robbed from them!

Rapier Racer
20th November 2007, 06:47 PM
what?

mdhay
20th November 2007, 06:56 PM
Some 25,000,000 people's details were getting couriered to another department, and went missing! That probaly includes yours, too! Watch your bank statements!

Rapier Racer
20th November 2007, 06:59 PM
According to Yahoo news:

"The missing information contains details of all Child Benefit recipients: records for 25 million individuals and seven and a quarter million families," he told MPs.
He also revealed that the missing discs contain personal data including the names, National Insurance and bank details of millions of child benefit recipients.
It means that the personal details of every family in the country with a child under 16 have gone missing.

Thats not me with the family's part. Still can't help but be concerned..

Hellfire_WZ
20th November 2007, 07:02 PM
It's families claiming Child Benefits, not just anyone.

EDIT: ****, am I really that slow? :)

mdhay
20th November 2007, 07:07 PM
True as that be, some people may still be affected (like me!).

Hellfire, you aren't slow.

satriani
20th November 2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah it's a worry. The discs were being couriered and were password protected. Looks like it may end up being an attack of the clones IF they fall into the wrong hands. Will have to sit this one out and see if there is an effect.

Hellfire_WZ
20th November 2007, 07:14 PM
Here's a link to the whole article on BBC if anyone wants to read it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7103566.stm

mdhay
20th November 2007, 07:18 PM
It would seem so, Satriani.

Is there any theories as to why this has happened?

Rapier Racer
20th November 2007, 07:31 PM
Yes, my friend rekons they aren't missing at all and it's all just a scam to help them push this ID card crap forward.

satriani
20th November 2007, 07:37 PM
It would seem so, Satriani.

Is there any theories as to why this has happened?

Well if by courier they mean posted then fer crying out loud. We use an external contractor specifically (sic) for back up storage and everything is encrypted. I get the feeling this is a simple back up but why transport a disc copy? I don't know, I gave up trying to figure out why Govt Depts do what they do years ago.

And this would undermine the ID argument not support it because it's all about poor Govt security. I can hear another nail in that ones coffin coming.

(Just my opinion so don't beat me up)

mdhay
20th November 2007, 07:49 PM
I couldn't agree more, I hate the government, they are all stupid, for they think a password will help.To be honest, I don't think so.

Rapier Racer
20th November 2007, 07:53 PM
Looks like it "HMRC's internal post system operated by the courier TNT."

So that means its not going to be going through the same sort of mass sorting process like normal stuff with Royal Mail? If so this makes even less sense

satriani
20th November 2007, 08:04 PM
Ah, that means it's gone to Brussels.:g

Chill
21st November 2007, 06:19 AM
(Just my opinion so don't beat me up)

LOL!!! Here I come, with some boxing gloves!!! :mr-t j/k...