PDA

View Full Version : Possible PS3 discovery?

Lion
13th October 2007, 12:02 AM
I was playing 3SE last night on my PS3, and when I fired it up today, I set up a second profile to look at the contents of the American store (incidentally: HUGELY different from the NZ store contents).
anyway, as part of that setup I had to tell the playstation network config that I was located in the usa, rather than NZ where I usually reside.

Getting back to the first point about how I was playing 3SE, I had left it in the drive.
When I closed the american store, I noticed that 3se was now listed as an audio CD rather than a PS1 game.
Does this mean that the PS3 set's the region of it's backwards compatibility based on the PSN login info?

I don't have any american PS or PS2 games to test this with, but someone here must have a PS3 as well as versions of an earlier wipeout from both USA and EU regions?
if you do have the 3 required items, can you set up a second profile with a PSN login from the other part of the world and see how you get on?
I'm definitely curious to know if this works

mdhay
13th October 2007, 07:44 AM
I think it depends more on weather the game can be accessed by a cd player.
I have this game called fighting force 2 for the playstation 1, which registers as an audio cd, but all that comes up is a very subtle tone- yet I can play it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Lion
13th October 2007, 08:43 AM
on closer investigation, it turns out that I am an idiot. :P
I must have been looking under the music menu rather than the games menu.

I'd still be interested to know if the ps3 emulation is region locked.
anyone with a ps3 in a pal region got any ntsc wipeouts or vise versa?

mdhay
15th October 2007, 07:32 PM
There shouldn't be any problem with region locks. The system is region-free, so there shouldn't be any probs

jmoid
15th October 2007, 09:04 PM
I know PS3 games are region-free (with an optional region lock iirc) but I understood PS1 and PS2 titles were region locked... I can test it out tomorrow sometime.

jmoid
16th October 2007, 09:47 PM
Tried it today with Japanese a PS1 game and an American PS2 game, as I thought - "The game cannot be played due to region restricitons" (or something along those lines...)

Lion
17th October 2007, 05:10 AM
damn, so the bioses used for emulation must be unmodified and region specific.