PDA

View Full Version : AG/ futuristic racer list

tubeslider
6th January 2007, 02:54 AM
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you would help me compile a list of futuristic racers. I'm a fan of the genre, and was quite amazed with finding this forum. :pc
My current list includes
Playstation:
Wipeout XL
Wipeout Fusion
Kinetica
Star Wars Racer Revenge
Power Drome
hypersonic.xtreme
stun runner (midway arcade treasures)
Gamecube:
Tubeslider
F-Zero GX
Extreme G racing 3 (XGR3)
Extreme G racing association (XGRA)
I don't own an Xbox, and haven't played Quantum Redshift or Pulse Racer, but wouldn't mind hearing about them, or any from any other systems/PC. :dizzy
The list above is what I have in my collection, and the purpose of this thread is to compile a list of what's worth playing/ owning beyond this list. I sort of want to make a wishlist, as it were, to make additions to my collection.

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice.
I seem to have developed some strange obsession with this growingly obscure genre.

Tomahawk
6th January 2007, 03:14 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums!

Apart form the missing WipEout titles in your collection (Wip3out, Wip3out SE), I highly recommend the Rollcage series ("Rollcage - No rules racing" and "Rollcage Stage 2") on PS1 to you. It's a little bit hard to control the cars in this game at first, but when you finally get used to it the game's a really thrilling and a one-of-a-kind experience.:nod

tubeslider
6th January 2007, 03:39 AM
I don't mind a difficult learning curve. :blarg
Thanks, and keep 'em coming.

Sausehuhn
6th January 2007, 03:52 PM
You also forgot the original WipE'out''

Ah and welcome to the forums :)

Task
6th January 2007, 04:56 PM
You're missing the original AG racer, made by ATARI.
Originally available only in arcades, I'm sure that it was the basis of Wipeout.
You see, you've got this hovercraft, that runs in a u-channel, and there are boost pads to make you go stupid fast, and you've got a laser mounted on top and ablative shields. You've got a strict time limit to get to the end of the track, and there are lots of enemies on the track to slow you down.
All with the basic graphics made famous by the arcade hit Hard Drivin'!

The name?
STUN Runner!
Where can you play it now?
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 - for PS2

Rapier Racer
6th January 2007, 07:04 PM
One missing from your list is Killer Loop. The game has 3 or 4 teams each with a unique pod craft, as you move through the game you unlock more powerful pods and tracks and you will eventually get to race on the loop itself! The loop is not easy at first. You need to pass through green and yellow crystal areas on the track to keep your ships energy and magnet powers topped up as you don’t want to be floatin away! This game has some really great and fast tracks. There are few weapons but they are there! Also the music is top class.

Lance
6th January 2007, 08:21 PM
And the atmosphere, feel, and sounds are very 'other'. Unique. And difficult. Or at least I found it so.

Zerow
6th January 2007, 08:32 PM
There's also G-Surfers for PS2. It features a track designer/editor, and it's worth getting for that alone. =)

andy
6th January 2007, 10:09 PM
welcome to the forum. The n64 has wipEout 64 :+ :D Enjoy your stay

qirex-rd
6th January 2007, 10:59 PM
Cyberspeed for PSX

Cyber Speedway for Saturn

Hi-Octane for PSX / Saturn / PSX

Jet Rider Series for PSX

Hresvelgr for PS2

Mega Race 3 for PS2

The Extreme G Series?

Quantum Redshift for XBox

tubeslider
7th January 2007, 01:23 AM
You're missing the original AG racer, made by ATARI.
Originally available only in arcades, I'm sure that it was the basis of Wipeout.
You see, you've got this hovercraft, that runs in a u-channel, and there are boost pads to make you go stupid fast, and you've got a laser mounted on top and ablative shields. You've got a strict time limit to get to the end of the track, and there are lots of enemies on the track to slow you down.
All with the basic graphics made famous by the arcade hit Hard Drivin'!

The name?
STUN Runner!
Where can you play it now?
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 - for PS2

Ah yes, I remember going to chuck & cheese to play this when I was very young. Probably my introduction to AG racing, I loved this game. Of course I own this, but didn't include it because, well, I didn't think anyone else remembered it. It looks like I've come to the right place!:D
---
Is the Hresvelgr game available as NTSC? I heard that game was horrible, but I've never even seen it; what are your thoughts? Worth importing?
---
qirex-rd, you mentioned mega race 3 for ps2... I can't find it anywhere except for PC. Is this game just extremely obsure, or am I not looking in the right places?
thx

qirex-rd
7th January 2007, 02:39 PM
Quantum Redshift (my status is 66% at the moment) is a game
which claims to be WipEout for XBox. But it isnt, in my opinion.
The track design is boring (there is one loop in USA), and the
ship design is from Mattel Barbie Hell Island. The feeling of speed
is less than in FZero GX / AX. The cut sequences are retarded (as
in FZero). The OST is boring Junkie XL Style (except one good track in
Russia & Egypt). The weapons are upgradeable - so after some
1st places and enough money you can shoot with snowballs (!!)
for example, which makes the game also stupid. During your
flight you are collecting crystal icons (yellow, red & blue) which
also harms the setting. Its just like playing in the toy room
of a three year old. Quantum Redshift has no slowdowns
although Curly Monsters used Bump Mapping an some road
tracks, but that doesnt help. The controlling of your ship is
much to tolerant. That means: You can collide with the walls,
but thats not a problem. In a second youre at 400 mp/h. The use
of weapons by the AI ships is sometimes unfair (100 metres infront
of the finish line -> level 3 rocket -> BOOM! -> last place - its
like the looney tones space race for Dreamcast). A second game
was planned (Solaris), but never released. As said, Ive got 66%
of this game and it is boring as hell (Barbie hell).

But, Hresvelgr is really bad:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/hresvelgr/index.html
The shipdesign looks interesting (like a huge gun). Ive never
seen a PAL version.

Mega Race 3 has a bad controlling and a very bad framerate.
Dont try it at home.

If you want a good & hard game, try Jet Rider 1. I liked
it, but not part 2 & 3.

tubeslider
8th January 2007, 01:03 AM
That's too bad about Quantum Redshift, I heard some of the original team of the wipEput series worked on it. I guess I still don't have an xcuse to buy an xbox. sorry
--
I read the review of Hresvelgr on gamespot, but I don't always agree with them. Good to know I won't feel compelled to order a $50 import from japan, thanks.
--
I'll try jetrider, though, if I can find it.

JABBERJAW
8th January 2007, 02:07 AM
I posted these a long time ago in another post. I just found them. Quantum redshift is awesome at redshift speed. Much more flight at that time and controlling the pitch is vital to fast times. Much more so than pure. I'll see if I can find a huge list I once found.

Aerogauge-n64
Ace Speeder-??
Artic Thunder-ps2
Artic thunder-xbox
Badlands??
Batman Vehicle adventure-psx
cosmic race--psx
Cyberace-??
Cyberspeed-sat
Cyberspeed-psx
Cyberspeed-pc
Cyberspeedway/gran chaser--sat
Death Race--arcade
Death track racing-pc
defeat lightning-???
dethkarz-Pc
Extreme G-n64
Extreme g-pc
extreme g2-n64
extreme g2-pc
extreme g3-ps2
extreme g3-gamecube
fzero-Sn
fzero 2-??
fzerox-n64
fzero advance- gba
fzero expansion kit--64dd
full auto-pc
fusion gt/hresvelgr/jet ion gp-ps2
gsector-pc
galaxy racer-??
gubble buggy racer-PC
gsurfers-ps2
hi octane-pc
hi octane-psx
hoverace-pc
hyperdrive-arcade
jeff gordon racing-psx
jeff gordon xs racing-n64
jeff gordon racing-pc
jet moto-psx
jet moto-pc
jet moto2-psx
jet moto2-pc
jet moto3-psx
killer loop/mag3-psx
killer loop-pc
kinetica-ps2
looney tunes space race-psx
looney tunes space race-n64
looney tunes space race-dc
looney tunes space race-ps2
ludorace 3d-??
magforce racing-dc
mars maniacs-pc
megarace 3-??
millenium racer-pc
moon racer-pc
motorhead-psx
motor raid-Arcade
Ngen racing-psx
night stalker-??
outlander--genesis
outrun 2019--genesis
POD-pc
Pod2 speedzone-DC
Powerdrome-??
Powerslide-PC
red asphalt-psx
Road Blasters-??
Road Rash-psx
Road Rash-genesis
Road Rash-3do
Road RAsh-sat
Road Rash-sega master system
Road rash-pc
Road Rash-amiga
Road Rash-gbc
Road RAsh-gb
Road Rash-game gear
Road RAsh64-n64
Road Rash3d-pc
Road Rash 3d-psx
Road Rash jailbreak-psx
Road Rash 2-genesis
Road Rash 3-genesis
Road Wars-pc
Rollcage-psx
Rollcage-pc
Rollcage2-psx
Rollcage2-pc
Rumble RAcing
SanFransisco Rush 2049-n64
SAnfransisco Rush 2049-dc
scars-psx
scars-n64
scorcher-sat
scorcher-pc
sky roads-??
slipstream 5000-pc
speed tribes-pc
Star WArs racer-n64
star wars racer-pc
star wars racer-dc
star wars racer revenge-ps2
star wars super bombad racing-ps2
starwinder-psx
streak-psx
stun runner-??
Tube-??
Tunnels of armageddon-apple 2
tunnel vision-c64
Vapor TRX-ARcade
Wipeout-sat
wipeout-psx
wipeout-pc
wipeoutxl/2097-sat
wipeoutxl/2097-psx
wipeoutxl/2097-pc
wipeoutxl/2097-amiga
wipeoutxl/2097-mac
wipeoutxl/2097-arcade
wipeout 64-n64
wipeout 3-psx
wipeout 3 special edition-psx
wipeout fusion
xracer-??
zero gravity race-c64
zephy_??
zusar vasar-??

rdmx
8th January 2007, 03:25 AM
Alternate name for Hrelsvlgr (sp? I like that name though :banzai ) is "Jet Ion GP" in Europe.

JABBERJAW
8th January 2007, 04:44 AM
Hresvelgr is pure crap, I have it, but it makes a great drink coaster.

rdmx
8th January 2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah, OPS2 UK gave it a brilliant 1 out of 10 :pirate .

tubeslider
8th January 2007, 08:58 PM
So there are some cheers and some jeers for quantum redshift. It's cheap, so maybe I'll just get a copy and bug my neighbor to let me play it on his xbox.
:pizza :burger :cake :donut :beer

infoxicated
9th January 2007, 09:27 AM
Quantum Redshift (my status is 66% at the moment) is a game
which claims to be WipEout for XBox. But it isnt, in my opinion.
The track design is boring (there is one loop in USA)....
Not a love there for Quantum Redshift - are you sure you still want to pay its lead designer a million to re-make 2097? :rolleyes:

Cannon_Fodder
9th January 2007, 11:54 AM
Ooh, busted :)

AmigoJack
9th January 2007, 01:45 PM
dethkarz-Pc
hi octane-pc
killer loop-pc
Rollcage-pc
scorcher-pc

dethkarz - those are cars actually. great game, great feeling thru the speed :) but yet not wipey to me.

hi octane - good idea, but the game itself lacks every concept. shoot'n'die, collect and get collected. one car is the fastest... wheres the fun part? it even slows down on my sega saturn when cars collide :( but its hovering yes :) reminds me of the flying from "back to the future 2"

killer loop - great game, a bit too difficult in the end (never did the last league with that third special pod). its hovering, its shooting, its upside down and the soundtrack is superb :) :) :)

rollcage - actually never played it seriously, only testing it. nice idea to turn your car upside down. cars = not wipey for me

scorcher - tried that on pc a bit, looked great in a demo. but its not very entertaining. nonetheless its hovering, has a dark atmosphere and also a great soundtrack. i played the cd as audio more than as a game

---
so if youre turning in racing games also, i wouldnt mind also counting in "screamer", "screamer 2" (in germany called "bleifuss") and "daytona" for the sega saturn. those are also fast and had a good feeling when playing with the front-perspective.

as for other games where vehicles actually HOVER, i would also add these to:

tunnel b1 - the levels seem to be very boring, but you float around and do things. only tested it a bit

blam! machinehead - floating around (it cant fly, so pits are dangerous) you have to turn on machines each level, kinda mission thing but you always have to shoot something to stay alive. quite good game, nice dark atmosphere and also good soundtrack

qirex-rd
10th January 2007, 10:48 AM
Fatal Inertia:

[Pictures (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/749/749967/imgs_1.html)]
[Movies (http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2188)]

Another Barbie Hell Gravity Racer - Aero Gauge Mix...

tubeslider
10th January 2007, 05:55 PM
Looks pretty good to me. It appears there will be a ship designer including paint scheme. Ships look a little too clean, like they just got a wax polish. Looks like the wreckage stays on the track as well.
I for one am looking forward to this title.
Check out the weapons layout:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/fatalinertia/news.html?sid=6155528&q=fatal%20inertia

"All damage suffered by your vehicle during a race will be accurately reflected both visually and in performance, with the ship-control dynamics constantly changing depending on the condition of your ship."
-nice

Rapier Racer
10th January 2007, 07:00 PM
Actually a damage simulator is not so nice, we had one on Wipeout Fusion :- I also don't think parts should fly off a ship protected by an energy field

tubeslider
11th January 2007, 02:10 AM
yeah, but the damage didn't really seem to affect anything. It was purely aesthetic. :dizzy
I especially enjoyed that aspect of realism in the podracer revenge game. The damage sim there was just flame, smoke and animation, but when a pod went down you'd better avoid the pieces! I actually enjoyed it when a chunk of starship engine would slow me down from hitting it. :nod
This game looks like it will take it up a notch. Did you see the part of the vid where ships were dodging large chunks of debris and what looked like a steel beam?

batfastad
11th January 2007, 05:59 PM
Someone above mentioned the Rollcage games.
Yeah they were great.

Spent a load of time playing those on my PS1! :D

JABBERJAW
13th January 2007, 08:09 PM
tubeslider, you had damage simulator turned off, if on your turning got much worse.

tubeslider
14th January 2007, 05:16 PM
tubeslider, you had damage simulator turned off, if on your turning got much worse.

<sigh> I guess I'll have to put it back in the PS2 again,then!

Snake
14th January 2007, 06:07 PM
Geopod für ->symbian (S60&UIQ) and Java J2ME mobiles
Red Out ->Java J2ME mobiles
System Rush ->Nokia N-Gage
Payload -> Nokia N-Gage

Spaceboy Gajo
15th January 2007, 02:05 PM
Great list guys.

I have got to say Wipeout has definitely spoiled me. Cannot take any other futuristic racing game seriously. Except for two. The Star Wars pod racing seriers and the new one from Koei for the PS3, Fatal Inertia.

Many of you know, I'm a sucker for all things Star Wars. Played the first pod racing game briefly. However the arcade version of the game sucked a lot of my loonies ($1 CAD coin). Still love the cockpit you sit in and the controls with the two throttles. Not only that, me and auslander played the sequel, Racer's Revenge to death.

As for Fatal Inertia I just saw the trailer and am pumped about it. If I get a PS3, this title will hold my craving for a PS3 flavoured Wipeout title. Not only that, got to support my Canadian brothers that are developing this title ;) I just wonder how much vertical movement you'll have, since these look more like futuristic flying craft and don't hover above the ground. Also, some of the craft look like jet fighters mashed up with cars.

Now there was another futuristic racing title I played other than the ones I mentioned above. I played it once and watched auslander the rest of the night. That was XG3 : Extreme G Racing. We were looking forward to teh title because (A) it was a futuristic racing game and (B) which was was only a factor for me it had CG female artwork. Remember, I'm big on Pascale Rouser from Fusion :) I didn't like the controls hence me passing it off to auslander to do the rest.

Like I said, I think Wipeout has spoiled me. I was interested in Quantum Redshift before it came out because it had some guys who had worked on Wipeout before. However with no access to a XBox, I forgot about the game until I started reading this thread.

Spaceboy Gajo

tubeslider
15th January 2007, 05:04 PM
Oh, yes!! The arcade version of podracer was the best. I wish Lucasarts would make a direct port of that. If I had the money and the space that machine would sit in my living room or a gameroom.
--
Isn't fatal inertia coming out on the 360 as well? Really looking forward to this game, but since I probably won't have the funds to get either system, I'll probably buy the game when it is still available new (at a reduced price of course) and hang on to it until the prices on the systems comes down to the 100 - 200 $ range.
--
If you like the CG female art then pick up copies of Kinetica and Power Drome (absolutely not to be confused with 'Drome Racer'). They are both straight up racing games, and while Power Drome seemed to focus on the art involved in the racers themselves, the tracks themselves are a bit choppy. By that I mean the engine is so poor every time there is a rise or fall in the track it seems like you're running over potholes. Track design itself is ok.
Kinetica had an original idea in that you had to perform certain moves while racing to build up boost power. If/ when you get past that it's a decent futuristic racer. I hated the concept at first, but once I got into it I started to enjoy the challenge of trying to boost, pull some tricks, hit a corner and boost again. If you can find them they should be relatively cheap. I paid around $5 for my copies.
In both games you can unlock an art gallery with some exceptional work. Unused concepts as well as renderings.
--
Celebrate the genre, before it dies.

Spaceboy Gajo
16th January 2007, 05:24 AM
My sentiments exactly, about the Pod racer arcade for my home. I was comtemplating it as I was looking it up on Google. More liek dreaming about it.

About Fatal Inertia, it is indeed coming out for the 360. At first it was supposed to be a PS3 exclusive. Then KOEI announced it was coming out for the Xbox 360. Like I said, it'd be my PS3 title to hold me back until a version of Wipeout comes out on that platform.

As for Kinetica, I dug the concept. Kind of like Tranformers meets Tron. At least Sony backed it up with this piece of art at E3 back in '01 (http://www.arthorsestudio.com/galleries/commercial/comm_18.html).

Are you thinking that the lack of futuristic racing titles are why the genre is dying?

Also, what does one have to say about FZero for the Gamecube?

tubeslider
16th January 2007, 05:26 PM
F-zero for gamecube was decent, but the ship designs and characters were just plain goofy. And as far as their main ship, the 'blue falcon', well... just type that into your search engine and see what comes up. I'll let that speak for itself. :hyper I didn't like the idea of having to master some weird boosting technique, snaking I believe it was called, in order to advance in the game. For those that don't know, in order to gain speed beyond your boost, you must master a (sometimes downright painful) technique involving your side thrusters in conjunction with turning back and forth. Very frustrating to have to essentially cheat to master a game.
Considering the level of difficulty involved in this game, I don't know why they chose to make games aesthetic appeal geared toward children. Cutscenes were beyond cheesy. The massive selection of craft was undermined by their lack of design inspiration, while the custom ship creator (the garage?) let me down by not offering the different aspects of the playable characters ships.
Overall the franchise had always intrigued me, from the SNES to the 64 versions. I guess I just expected the gameplay to grow up with its audience. Let's face it, the kids who liked the first f-zero titles are close to 30 now, put a new face on the game.:mr-t Same concept as the new Zelda title. You don't have to give it a M for Mature rating, but I digress.
Don't get me wrong I did play this for a while, but I never finished it due to that stupid (aforementioned) technique. Booo!:mad:
Oh and spinning your vehicle around to attack other ships sucks, too, and makes no sense whatsoever. Just leave it out.
---
As far as why I think the genre is dying; well I've read several reviews where people just plain say: uggh, another futuristic racer. This could be a topic for another thread altogether, and there could be several reasons for this. First and foremost, the leading franchises of the genre, Wipeout and F-Zero, both let their audiences down by releasing :turd steaming :turd piles :turd of :turd dung :turd for the modern (ok last gen) consoles. Fusion could have been so much better than what it was, I'm sure I'll get no rebuttle their. And you know my complaints about F-zero.:p Yet I'm still intrigued by the genre. I don't even own any regular racing games! Let's all hope for some revival with the next generation platforms, and hope for the best with Fatal Inertia, because if there is no interest for it, let's face it, they'll cut the budget on the rumored wipeout:future title.

Spaceboy Gajo
17th January 2007, 06:10 AM
Thanks so much for your review of FZero for the Gamecube, tubeslider ! Sounds exacty like a game I don't want to play. It's too bad because I wanted to play it on the cheap and they have this sweet arcade version of it with a cockpit and you could use your memory card with it. Don't you just love Japan for things like that?

Also, thanks for your thoughts about the futuristic racing genre. I think Pure has brought it back up to some respectability. I read a lot of reviews that it was the game to get at launch for the PSP. For me that's another kick in the can for Sony. I cannot imagine how awesome a next gen Wipeout would look like.

From what I've read they're using the game engine they're created with the help of Studio Liverpool. Whereas my brothers from Canada are using an Unreal Engine for Fatal Inertia. Which is still impressive if you ask me (using the Unreal Engine for other than a FPS). If anything, shall KOEI Canada not be able to pull it off here comes Sony on it's horse showing others how it's done.

Brother Laz
22nd January 2007, 09:36 PM
Rollcage Stage II is much better than the first, even if it looks the exact same. Handling has been tweaked (you can actually hit something and not fly off like a pinball), and the tracks are vastly superior, because the premise of driving on walls and upside down actually helps you win races in Stage II, whereas in the first game it was mostly a trap to crash people who lost control and brushed a wall.

It also has those hopelessly addicting scramble tracks - point to point time trials on tracks that are as narrow as your car, banked and covered in ice. And that's just the easier ones.

It may not be Wipeout, but as far as futuristic racers with wheels go, RSII is one of the best imo.

qirex-rd
23rd January 2007, 12:38 PM
Road Rage for PSX from Konami.
Bad pop-up tracks. Its a Aero Gauge look-alike Game.

tubeslider
27th January 2007, 03:13 PM
Ballistics arcade game. Speed is measured in mach 0.1 up to ??? Not that sophisticated of a racer, you dodge obstacles and meet checkpoints to continue with the race. The speed simulator is fairly impressive, and worth a few quarters, though, just to check it out.

KANDANG
31st January 2007, 02:16 AM
anyone know anything about stateshift ?
:D

RJ O'Connell
29th July 2007, 04:01 AM
Verdicts on non-Wipeout futuristic racers I've played (sorry for necro-posting, but I had to contribute!):

F-Zero, SNES: Great fun. The thing is it has absolutely nothing to race for, except bragging rights. No multiplayer either. It's fun for five minutes.

F-Zero X, N64: This is when the series starts getting good. Finally, hardware that can live up to the potential of the game (even if the graphics are rather bland), as well as a great plethora of gameplay options and a greater sense of speed.

F-Zero GX, GameCube: The best futuristic racing game not called WipEout. Great graphics, solid controls, the frustration you'll encounter while playing this game (especially Stage 7 in Story Mode) is well worth it. Almost as rewarding as completing WipEout 1. Without a doubt it's a gem.

Cyberspeed, PS1: Mindscape brings a futuristic racer with poor sound, average (even for near-launch game) graphics, and laughably bad gameplay. Absolute crap. The only saving grace? The futuristicly funny commercials played after you've quit a race due to boredom because you just. can't. take. it.

Quantum Redshift, X-BOX: Did many things Wipeout Fusion intended to do better than Wipeout Fusion. Namely, all-terrain racing. Sure, the cutscenes were as poorly acted as a stage reading by a group of dyslexics (and you're speaking to a potential theatre major) but the racing itself was actually really good. What could have come from a sequel, we'll never know.

Extreme-G 2, N64: The first game you could run with one hand. Racing is fast-paced, but the bikes are a bit weird handling-wise and once you hit walls you'll be magnetically attached for three seconds and lose most of your speed. Battle Mode with tanks is a hidden joy.

XG3 (Extreme G Racing), PS2: No battle mode (@%#!) but the tracks in this game are absolutely gorgeous. Eye candy to the max. I don't particularly find the weapons interface good (should have stuck with on-track pickups!) and the handling is twitchy at times. Music rules. I want a sequel. T_T

Jet Moto 3, PS1: Yeah, it wasn't developed by SingleTrac, and it's not too futuristic - I don't care. We don't have these hoverbikes yet. This is a real skill game, and it's very rewarding in the end. As a matter of fact all of the Jet Moto games are absolute fun. Jet X2O for the PS2 is not a true successor. If any racing game needs a sequel now this is it.

G'Kyl
1st August 2007, 05:25 AM
Ballistics arcade game. Speed is measured in mach 0.1 up to ??? Not that sophisticated of a racer, you dodge obstacles and meet checkpoints to continue with the race. The speed simulator is fairly impressive, and worth a few quarters, though, just to check it out.

Absolutely! Probably the most impressive sensation of speed. It takes a lot of skill to go at top speed for an entire lap, not to mention a race - very similar to WO, even though the concept is an entirely different one. It doesn't last long, since you don't have as much (steering) freedom as you'd expect from a racing game. (You're tucked onto the walls, after all.) Loved it for as long as it kept me going.
Should anyone be looking for it: I got a spare copy (just the CD, no manual, no box).

Ben

zargz
1st August 2007, 06:56 AM
..Oh and spinning your vehicle around to attack other ships sucks, too, and makes no sense whatsoever..Just like BR in Pure .. http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/hm.gif

lunar
1st August 2007, 04:40 PM
I had the same response when I first heard of them, but you get used to those BRs after a while. It`s really not as bad as it sounds, though a few things about them might continue to annoy - BRs that are too low and tracks where there are too many.

One Futuristic racer to add to the list, that Kandang mentioned, is out soon:

Stateshift (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midas-StateShift-PSP/dp/B000PI39XW/ref=sr_1_1/203-0981089-2727910?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1185986940&sr=1-1) looks something like a rollcage clone, but it`s pretty cheap. Bad timing though, with Pulse imminent and mini-screen Wipeout training to be done.

zargz
1st August 2007, 06:50 PM
.. but you get used to those BRs after a while..That's what I'm counting on ;)
but it still doesn't stop it from not making any sense ..

you're right Stateshift looks like Rollcage on wo tracks! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif
Though still hoping it will be a good one! :+

chri5
2nd August 2007, 12:50 PM
Has anyone mentioned Magforce Racing on the Dreamcast?

swift killer
2nd August 2007, 03:08 PM
i know that when psynosis went bust it split in 3, Studio liverpool and bizzare creations were the main 2, is midas the 3rd one? because this just smacks of a rollcage sequel

infoxicated
2nd August 2007, 03:47 PM
You might want to check your history there - Psygnosis never went bust, it was just acquired by Sony.

supersocks
2nd August 2007, 04:29 PM
http://www.mobygames.com/company/psygnosis-limited

In late 1998, Eidos Interactive bought Psygnosis' European operations. Psygnosis' US operations were folded into Sony's own development outfit, 989 Studios. Finally, in 2000, Psygnosis (as a Sony brand) abandoned the PC game market for good. All US studios closed. UK studios were incorporated with SCEE.

But the hot question about rollcage is, who has the rights? And does Midas suddenly bought an old ATD codebase?

zargz
2nd August 2007, 07:51 PM
judging from the few pics these cars don't climb walls.
Also the roof seem too high for them to flip.
might not be a RC clone. :robot

swift killer
3rd August 2007, 09:59 AM
thats a new thread when i know one, WHO ON EARTH HAS THE RIGHTS FOR ROLLCAGE?!!!

Colin Berry
3rd August 2007, 12:45 PM
As I recall Eidos never actually acquired Psygnosis

There were huge rumours but in the end Sony kept the Psygnosis European Studios, downsized and then changed them into Sony studios.

There was rumour we were being sold to Eidos, but certainly as far as I know, it never happened.

Oh and Bizarre creations were never part of Psygnosis

Lance
3rd August 2007, 06:31 PM
Mmm... not to be picky or anything, much, but could we get back on topic please. This is supposed to be a list of futuristic racing games.

[We should start a History of Psygnosis thread so that these continual questions that have appeared in the WZ for years will have their own place.]

q_dmc12
8th August 2007, 11:52 PM
As for Kinetica, I dug the concept. Kind of like Tranformers meets Tron. At least Sony backed it up with this piece of art at E3 back in '01 (http://www.arthorsestudio.com/galleries/commercial/comm_18.html).

Hell yeah! I still have a copy of that, good game!!

rdmx
2nd December 2008, 09:18 AM
Another futurisitic racer is Pyroblazer. Out on PC and apparently for PSP and Wii.
Here is some gameplay: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=DGPTYpMYTLY&fmt=22

eLhabib
2nd December 2008, 10:03 AM
about as awful as it gets I'd say...

rdmx
2nd December 2008, 10:50 AM
My flying is terrible but give it a try. It's not THAT bad.

Darkdrium777
2nd December 2008, 03:20 PM
What's with the constant sparks?

rdmx
2nd December 2008, 11:59 PM
That's me grinding along the track sides constantly >_>

JABBERJAW
3rd December 2008, 12:21 AM
I got a good chuckle out of that one after reading El's post, but still would have to play before judging it. ARe you flying? I don't understand the physics there. Also, are you always in a tube?

rdmx
3rd December 2008, 12:54 AM
http://www.gamershell.com/download_36496.shtml

It's kinda like flying I guess - you can fly up, down, forward, backward (and obviously turn) and you can rotate around. I think that it's a constant tube from what I've seen of it.

Darkdrium777
3rd December 2008, 01:00 AM
In fact I quite like this. It's not excellent, but quite good actually. You've got to fly it in first person (Press C twice). Or else the zapping sounds will quickly annoy you (In first person, only the scraping remains, which is reminiscent of WipEout 2097). And also in first person the sense of speed is quite well achieved.
It's only a demo though so for the story we have absolutely no idea, but it has to do with a god who created this sport so that the people of his world could identify the best leader for the next years or something like that. Also the world on which the races happen has been ravaged by apocalypse (The devil) and in fact it happens in three underground cities or bunkers (Fallout 3 style, except with much more people in it). Each of these bunkers is independent, each has it's own culture, history, philosophy, etc. so expect some influence with the track art. So quite original, but well IMHO it's a bit far fetched, weird, etc.
The gameplay is essentially a tube racer (Delving into the developers forums I learned it was called Ultra Tubes before), you control the steering of your craft with the mouse, advance forward with W, backwards with S, turn left with A and right with D. You can also rotate the craft clockwise with E or counterclockwise with Q, supposedly to make you go faster (And also be more disoriented), but since you'll have a finger on the TAB (Turbo) key most of the times I haven't really felt the need to rotate (It's also quite hard to do it actually).
You fire primary weapons (Forward weapons mostly, although some in the full game fire backwards as well) with the left click and mines with the right click. You can also get four timed pickups: invisibility, invulnerability, quad damage and pyro engine. The last one is like an infinite turbo for the duration (I think, haven't checked the meter when I was using it), and it essentially ''burns'' the shields of those too close behind you. A damaging turbo for use against tailgaters. :D
Coins are scattered on the track, silver, gold and red (In order of rarity and therefore ''importance'') to replenish your turbo meter during the lap.
Weapon ammo and turbo are replenished each lap. Haven't figured out if you can switch between the weapons you pick up yet (I don't think you can). Your ship comes with standard weapons that depend on the ship, but you can't fire them off right at the beginning, there is a short timer (Kinda like Motorstorm and the boost power up).
There are some problems I have though, I find the red track really narrow and hard to manoeuvre, it seems you've got only space for about one ship and a half at some points in there. The blue track is better because it's the same width all around. Also, but this is a personal thing and not a flaw of the demo, I hate the physics based objects. These slow you down really well. Shooting them gets them out of the way but also sends them flying forward. Also the AI seems a bit ''stuck'', at each end race I look at the times, and it doesn't matter if I play easy or normal (Haven't tried hard yet), the AI is always like 1 sec behind me (Not much you might think, but they actually don't bother you by then) and they all come in with the exact same race time.
Overall I recommend you try, and again, play in first person. The zap sound was very off-putting and I was considering deleting the demo, until I switched camera. Now it's quite nice :) If I were to give it a rating right now I'd place it around 65-70%. I have to warn you of one thing though, it takes some time getting used to the control, also hyper sensitivity on the mouse doesn't help... You learn that after you stop dead on a wall too many times.

JABBERJAW
7th October 2012, 03:41 PM
I am going to consolidate this list, so name any futuristic racers not on this thread. Thanks!

Xpand
7th October 2012, 05:58 PM
I think you can add Slipstream GX to that list! :g

dreadofmondays
8th October 2012, 11:44 PM
There's also F-zero and it's series