PDA

View Full Version : Dumping playstation code onto a PC

JABBERJAW
9th November 2006, 04:57 PM
I remember a long time ago someone dumping a PC code so you could read it onscreen and adjust parameters in the game. Does anyone know how get a PC to read the data and to dump this code onscreen for a playstation game onto a PC monitor. It would be possible to adjust speeds, turning radius', ect like it was when I adjusted the PC code.

infoxicated
9th November 2006, 05:15 PM
I don't fancy your chances of making this work - unless the config files are outside of the main game, you'd need to recompile the executable - assuming you could get the data out in the first place.

Task
9th November 2006, 05:47 PM
More than likely what you want is a hex editor.
Open up the binary files of the game, change some values, run the game.

We're talking fairly serious hacking, here.

It would be easier with a decompiler, but those things are heavily illegal in pretty much every way you can imagine.

Still, a good hex editor can make the job fairly easy. When there are values right next to strings that say "shields", "handling", etc. then you can make a good assumption of what changing those values will do.

That's for a PC game.

For a PSX game, you need to take a disc image, modify that image with the hex editor, then burn that altered image onto a new disc, and run that disc on your modded PSX.

Not as straightforward, and likely to go through a serious pile of blank CD-Rs before you get anywhere worthwhile.

Overall, I'd rate it as "more trouble than it's worth", which is why you don't see that kind of thing being done all the time. 8 )

The easiest way to modify a game is to use a memory "cheat" tool. A program that searches for, and allows you to modify, values in memory. This way you can change the game "on the fly", while it's running. All your changes are temporary and you have to re-do them every time you run the game. Much safer, since if you break it you can just reboot and re-run and it's back to good. This is how all "game cheat" programs work. Of course, your options of changing the game are a lot more limited this way.

So there you go, take of that what you will.

Sausehuhn
9th November 2006, 05:47 PM
Once I extracted the Fusion WAD file (or was it WAC?)... there were text files including the stats of the ships (if I'm not too wrong here). Maybe it would be possible to change them, repack the whole stuff and burn it on a DVD again (or try to run it with an emulator - which is possible with Fusion, even though it runs on a low framerate) to create a "new" game.

Maybe worth a try.

Found them. They're "configuration setting" files (.INI) in original. Changed them to .txt so I can attach them. If it's illegal then I wrote the code by myself and it's just coincidence that there is the same text in my and in Fusion's files ;)

...now the problem: at least one of them is too big (and it's just a text file!!).
So I'll post them as code.

...but that again is not possible cause then the post would contain 85565 characters and i would brake the maximum of 10000.

So what to do then? Yes! Upload to my own space - and that in .INI instead of .txt! Now that's something!!

SHIPS.INI (http://cybershot.cy.funpic.de/kram/sonstige_bilder/WipEoutZone/stuff/SHIPS.INI)
WEAPONSTATS.INI (http://cybershot.cy.funpic.de/kram/sonstige_bilder/WipEoutZone/stuff/WEAPONSTATS.INI)

JABBERJAW
9th November 2006, 07:41 PM
Would there be strings on the playstation code dump as well? I used to know the codes for gameshark for turning, speed, acceleration, ect(I found these myself, hours of time), but do not know most of them anymore. I would rather use a modified disk

Sausehuhn
9th November 2006, 08:44 PM
Question: do you guys think it could be possible to change Fusions handling with modifying the stats so you get a near-to-traditional-WipEout handling?

Task
9th November 2006, 10:06 PM
Absolutely not. Those configuration values are ship-specific, you'd need to change the game physics engine to achieve the results you're looking for.
However!
Judging by the names of those values, you could definitely have a major effect on the handling of the ship. With large changes, you could drive the craft into the track, or fling it into the air.
With a bit of luck and time-consuming manipulation, you might be able to fool yourself into thinking that you had achieved something close to what you're looking for, but the underlying physics engine would eventually disappoint you as you'd hit a wall and be unable to go past it and get to the handling that you really want.

Just an informed opinion on my part though, so I could be totally out to lunch here.

Al: Yes, there are always string values. However, they would likely be in less useful places. I wouldn't expect something similar to the .ini file below, it's a different architecture. No way to know for sure without checking though!

JABBERJAW
10th November 2006, 05:10 AM
You should definitely try changing the gravity values, see what happens. Maybe turn up the friction factor and see if you really slow down when you hit walls. If that happens, you are definitely on to something.

username
10th November 2006, 10:38 AM
ah i am into this getttin game files and opening them with noteboook and editing them for the best since i have forsaken on the pc, which is VERY easy to edit! (for cry sake, even the textures are bmp!) and i like to change the enemy status: just change the numbers after the enemy stats!

the easy part would be changing it, the hardest bit would be getting the changed version to work! the ps2 wont run burned dvd copies of the game and its not much fun playing on a slow frame rate emulator :(, but i wish you all the best of luck and to go for it! (but make sure you back-up all of the original files you are going to change, and keep them with the same name! lol)

rdmx
10th November 2006, 11:39 AM
I've got AUS fusion and PCSX2 0.9.1. Ive got the image on my comp.
Can someone help me skip the opening videos which are stuffin me around?
Once I start with that then I can play around with all those hex digits.

I've got a fast computer - conroe, 2 gb ram, 7950gx2... Now all I need is a workin game!

JABBERJAW
13th November 2006, 04:50 AM
A modified ps2 should do the trick, but I don't know how to even get into the fusion files.

Sausehuhn
13th November 2006, 10:25 AM
You need the WipEout Fusion file extractor that also extracts the music (and basically was made for that).
I don't know how to re-pack the whole thing again, though.

JABBERJAW
13th November 2006, 11:04 PM
Does anyone know how to repack the dvd? It really looks like in fusion you can really change the code quite a bit. If anyone can say exactly how to do this, I'll try to improve the game(speed, acceleration, ect).

Sausehuhn
14th November 2006, 03:20 PM
hey, also weapons wouldn't slow you down that much anymore when you change the stats - and maybe it could be even possible to turn off some of these?

PS: wasn't there an e-mail address of the creator in the redme file of the extractor?

JABBERJAW
17th November 2006, 03:58 PM
Can anyone send me the email so I can determine what some of the variables do before I try to get started. Also, I am willing to become an expert at doing this, but I need help getting started from the beginning. I really want to make a better game and by the looks of what stats you can change, I think the game can get much better. Send me a PM if you can help. I am getting a super modified ps2 soon.

Sausehuhn
17th November 2006, 06:14 PM
you can download the extractor here (http://www.zophras.utvinternet.com/wipeout/site/wipeout_fusion/index.html).

The only name I can get out of the ReadMe is "Zandal"... and its says (28/02/2002) behind it... more than 4 years mate.
I'm not sure if you can still get contact with these people :/

Sausehuhn
18th November 2006, 10:51 PM
just saw the "Rebuild" button next to the "Extract" button :D

So this problem should be cleared :D