PDA

View Full Version : Show N Tell - Sharing my DJ sets with you people.

Shem
21st October 2006, 11:58 PM
I was planning to do that for a long time, but recently I just didn't have much time, as opposed to loads of problems of all sorts.

So here it goes - this is my first set to post here. There's going to be more, and there are a couple of reasons for that :

1) I want to share this stuff with you, because people just tell me that I'm a good DJ/ask me when I'm gonna DJ at a proper party, which makes me feel like i should start spreading the word about my sets.

2) I recorded 4 mixtapes already (I'm not even counting daily mixing sessions, which became an ugly habit of mine - bad for your ears), I'm happy with them, and i'd like to hear your opinion on them.

3) This set is a Darkstep Drum N Bass set, so if you're faint of heart, i suggest you don't download it. It's quite long, so your head will probably explode after 5 mins of the mayhem. All the other sets are chillout compared to this one, so the most difficult listen goes first.

You have been warned.

Shout Trunk - "Those still aflamed and countless unnamed" (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WD3LD7AV)

Here's the playlist:

1 Photek - Ni Ichii Ten Ryu (Teebee remix)
2 Technical Itch - Haunted
3 Calyx - Illusions
4 Special Forces - Sidewinder (Infiltrata & Hochi remix)
5 Gridlok - Tricks
6 System Noise - Motion
7 Evol Intent - The Rapture
8 Photek - Baltimore
9 Technical Itch feat MC Jakes - Life Of Sin
10 Krust feat Saul Williams - Coded Language
11 Aquasky - Suspekt Device
12 Phoneheads - Syrinx
13 EZ Rollers - Superheroes
14 Calyx - Give Myself To You
15 Pish Posh - Corrupt Cops (Evol Intent)
16 Special Forces - Rinsa
17 Phoneheads - Death of distance
18 Pendulum feat Jasmine Lee - Sounds of Life
19 Photek - KJZ

Mixed in one clean shot without the use of any editing software. Mixed with 2 Numark TT200 turntables, reloop scratch 2 mixer, virtualDJ software controlled with X-Board 48 (MIDI control).

I hope you enjoy it!
(although it's going to be almost impossible unless you're into dnb, you can give it a try nontheless)

Sausehuhn
22nd October 2006, 01:15 PM
Didn't listen to the whole set simply because I get nervous after a while when listening to Drum'n'Bass too long (though I have a Photek album by myself). House and Trance is more my taste ;)

But even when I'm not a big D'n'B fan I think it's a good set with nice tunes :)

Looking forward to listen to the other sets.
Keep up the good work, Shem :)

Tomahawk
22nd October 2006, 01:39 PM
This set is some pretty good stuff, Shem! I like it very much. :+ I was listening to it when I played some pure last night... Keep it up, I'm waiting for more sets from you to come. :)

Rapier Racer
22nd October 2006, 02:34 PM
Yes :nod thats awsome Shem! I love DnB thanks to the Rollcage series and Moving Shadow for introducing me to it, I think you played a track used on the second rollcage during a live set you did ages ago.

Zerow
22nd October 2006, 09:13 PM
Where's the download link on that page? I can't see it. :?

Sausehuhn
22nd October 2006, 09:49 PM
hidden by a pop-up (?)

Shem
22nd October 2006, 10:48 PM
maybe all slots are taken for your country. it happens to me all the time on megaupload.com.

Zerow
22nd October 2006, 11:16 PM
There's always a pop-up when I click on the link, but there's no download link behind it.

It's probably as Shem said. :frown:

Tomahawk
23rd October 2006, 12:37 PM
When you click on Shem's link, you'll arrive at the megaupload-page. In the top right corner of the page there is a download button. Left to the download button, there's a field where you have to enter the three characters shown on the left side of the field. The characters seem to change everytime you click on Shem's link... When you've entered the correct characters and pressed download, a countdown will start (45 seconds for my download). After the countdown is finished, your download will start. Be careful, sometimes the download button is hidden underneath the pop-up.

That's how it worked for me anyway...

Zerow
23rd October 2006, 09:17 PM
Ah, I get it now! Cheers Tomahawk.

I've never used megaupload.com before, so I was a bit confused when I couldn't see a direct download link at first.

Downloading the mix as I write this - looking forward to listening to it!

stin
23rd October 2006, 10:18 PM
I did listened to it, the beginning was a bit heavy but from mid to finished and they were really good!

Nearly a hour worth of music!:o

stevie:)

andy
24th October 2006, 08:48 PM
Nice one. :)

Hey Shem, have you ever thought about making a minimix for annie mac on radio1?
You could make a 5 minute mix using music from the wipeout series.
I'm not sure if she still does listener minimixes anymore but it would be good to try.

Rapier Racer
24th October 2006, 08:55 PM
Do they get radio 1 in poland :sonar

Shem
24th October 2006, 09:21 PM
sure i would! ;) i don't know how it works (yet), but maybe if i broadcasted my set to that station, i'd be very cool. Just make sure you record it. Ha, get a load of this - WipeoutZone dedication, Wipeout tribute 5 min mini mix.

andy
24th October 2006, 10:39 PM
Like it rofl :+

Do they get radio 1 in poland :sonar

You can get it on the gloriously fantabulous tinternet.http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/dance (click on Annie Mac)

there you go :)

now, a minimix is just a quick combinations of snippets from big tracks and mixed up together in a 5 minute space. Also have fun.:) The results can be quite amazing.

Five minutes may not sound a long time but you should try to put in as much as you like - Aquasky created a minimix containing 153 tracks! (http://meems.imeem.com/8YS6cn-J/music/kDkgNvK3/aquasky_mini_mix/)

And here is a minimix by DJ Yoda, DJ Yoda minimix. (http://meems.imeem.com/8YS6cn-J/music/U9PE-12J/annie_mac_mini_mix_19052005/)This is also a very good mix - a lot of character, a lot of fun.

Aha! look what I just found! http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onemusic/exposed/minimix613p01.shtml WOO! This should be all you need to get mixing.

It says you have to put it on a CD and send it over here in the post so no live sets unfortunately but a lot less hassle. Don't know how much that will cost to send from poland in the post. You could publish the music file/data onto the internet and someone over here in england could burn it onto a CD and send it to the BBC.

Shem
24th October 2006, 11:57 PM
thanks a bunch andy!

these sound like mashups more than live mixes, and i'm all about live mixing, so it takes slightly more than 5 mins to squeeze 150 tracks into a mini mix (geeezzz that was just too much!)

DJ Yoda's mix was cool tho, i love his Cut and Paste - 80's edition mix, it's just pure awesomeness. With one of my sets that i'm working on i just managed to fit in a cheesy Whitney Houston sample ("IIIIII wanna dance with somebooooody"), a nice tribute to Yoda's mixing style. You'll have a listen soon ;)

As far as Wipeout mini mix goes, it'd be cool, but like I said, i record my sets in one clean shots only, so i can then use some of the ideas while playing daily sessions, but when i'm done with this and that, i'll mashup some wipeout tracks and let you judge if it's any good. If it is, i guess it'd be ok to let Annie have a listen, don't you think?

Zerow
27th October 2006, 10:05 PM
I've got the mix on right now. Very kick-ass! :rock

This is proper D'n'B, none of that crap from Pure Urban!

Shem
27th October 2006, 10:13 PM
enjoy dude:) If you happen to notice, there's Photek's 'Sidewinder' (Hochi and Infiltrata mix) jammed in between tracks. PURE coincidence? ;)

P.S. Soon i'm going to get a proper artowrk for this set. A friend of mine *she's a real artist, seriously* is going to fix me some artwork for this, so i'll update the set quite soon. Probably the playlist will change slightly (added intro and 2 or 3 tracks in the middle) so that everything suits me perfectly. Of course i'll upload the final version of this set, meanwhile i'm focusing on some of my other projects involving a party mix that i started some while ago (artwork for that one is on its way too) and a chillout set. There's of course 3 more sets that are already finished, but everything in its own time ;)

Leftism
30th October 2006, 12:26 AM
RAH! Some big tunes on that, didn't even know you were a DnB head. Not much space on my card at the mo but I'm blatantly grabbing this, nice one

Oh yeah I'm gonna mix Part 1 again that I posted, expect more tunes squeezed in, plus Part 2. Expect them by Xmas... not to derail your thread and that Shem

Shem
30th October 2006, 12:55 AM
not a problem mate, looking forward to hearing your set!