PDA

View Full Version : hardest video game bosses

phantom
24th June 2006, 10:45 PM
i was playing an old mortal kombat game, when i came face to face with sektor. and i couldnt beat him.it made me think of all those other bosses i faced that i had extreme diffuculty with. here are a few, do you have any you want to add to the list?

ruby weapon form FF7: he RAPED cloud and the gang multiple times. im not saying how long it took me to beat him, coz its embarrasing.

inpachi mishima form tekken 5: he spits fireballs from a mouth in his stomach, so naturally, hes impossibly difficult to beat. however, i beat him by jumping and hitting him in the head. still, he was hard.

any others?

Asayyeah
24th June 2006, 11:11 PM
I have always finished the games i ve started ( each mode ) but one time i missed it , it wasn't a FPS or fight game , just ridge racer on psp, after finishing all the 6 classes ( not really hard imo), unlocking all the things , i was surprised by a next extra level ( don't remember how they call that) but the main point is to beat real hard AI on tracks you know well , on the first track they say : only 1 people on 50 ( don't rem. exactly the number) could beat the AI ( after few tries i passed that) , there's 5 or 6 huge challenge like that ( corresponding on the 6 classes i presume) last one the ratio was 1 people on 10000 ( or something similar)
I ve stopped after hundreds of attempt on 3rd challenge ...
This was the only first game who resists to my bloody fingers ;)

Lance
24th June 2006, 11:50 PM
Well, now I don't feel so bad that I never completed Ridge Racer. ;D

Mano
25th June 2006, 12:17 AM
fighting games- arcade-hardest difficulty level

if you like fighting games, you have to try this classic ones

-Super Street Fighter 2 X (turbo): Akuma
previous street fighter 2 versions were nowhere near this difficulty setting. Today games are mostly way easier than this version.

-X-men children of the atom: Magneto

cpu read your joystick moves and instantly reacted with advantage, also he can fly, shoot magnetic beams (e.m. pulse), small quick magnetic blasts, an impenetrable shield, attract objects from out of nowhere and throw them at you, lob magnetic shards at you and trap you in them, make a magnetic shockwave which is mostly a vertical wave that repeats and fills the entire screen if it touches you it takes out a lot of energy and you are trapped so you get also hit by the other waves. To top it off the guy has a cool move at the beginning of the round in which he rotates his arms and makes a blurr, like bruce lee...

i mostly used Wolverine in this game so the only thing i had on him were 6 claws lol, this bastard was a pleasure to beat while dodging all his attacks.

Racing Games

- GTR simulation mode-all aids off

The only true difficult racing game i have tried, very hard to beat the A.I. (and i still end behind the whole pack if the cars are the same as mine ), but i have still a loooooooooooooong way to go to master this one. (and im just playing the demo :D)

bonus read:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/tenspot/0918boss/10.html

eLhabib
25th June 2006, 10:16 AM
if you want the toughest fighting game challenge out there, try Guilty Gear X2 on the hardest difficulty setting - it's so hard and fast, you will be over before you know it. I tried countless times, but I couldn't even get past the second fight...

Hellfire_WZ
25th June 2006, 09:42 PM
I remember Demon's Gate from Final Fantasy VII. Until I realised Slow worked on him I found him next to impossible.

Zerow
25th June 2006, 10:50 PM
The original Doom on Nightmare difficulty setting is one of the most overwhelming and ruthless gaming experiences you could ever subject yourself to. For me, at least.

But it's still one of my favourite games of all time! :D

phantom
27th June 2006, 06:32 PM
try putting the warriors on 'hardcore soldier' difficulty, and then complete it, then do the survival task against the baseball furies. I couldnt last 5 minutes, then again, i couldnt last 5 minutes against them in 'bopper' mode either. Just try it, and see how difficult it is.

bakkufu
27th June 2006, 08:43 PM
Ruby weapon is nigh on impossible without eqipping "ribbon" which I missed out on.

I've come close to beating Angelus on PSP ridge racer, but can't clinch it!!!

Zerow
27th June 2006, 10:45 PM
An honourable mention also has to go to Psycho Mantis in the original Metal Gear Solid. Untill you discover the completely un-forseen weakness of his, he is seemingly untouchable!

eLhabib
27th June 2006, 10:50 PM
Talking about hard bossfights - can the more seasoned of you still remember a glorious game by the name of 'Mike Tyson's Punchout'? I can't be certain, but I think it was impossible to beat the last boss, Iron Mike himself (at least I never managed to, but then I was pretty young back in the day...)

Task
28th June 2006, 12:21 AM
You know El, funny you should mention it, 'cause I think that was one of the items in the article... 8 )

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/tenspot/0918boss/5.html

Synthetic Consciousness
28th June 2006, 05:34 AM
Pretty much any SNK boss would be up there, I think. I once managed to beat Rugal in KOF '94 in an arcade on one credit, and I still think it was a glitch. That, or a stroke of pure dumb luck. I guess it's not really a matter of how strong SNK's bosses are, but how frustratingly cheap they are. Amakusa's teleporting in Samurai Spirits, Goenitz' insanely damaging tornadoes in KOF '96, and Yumeji's morphing in Samurai Spirits V. Yeah...that really frosts my strudel...

bakkufu
28th June 2006, 07:41 AM
An honourable mention also has to go to Psycho Mantis in the original Metal Gear Solid. Untill you discover the completely un-forseen weakness of his, he is seemingly untouchable!

There is a way without using the rather hilarious weakness, lets just say it involves grenades, C4, quick weapon switching and as much Famas ammo as you can carry!

Mano
28th June 2006, 10:24 AM
Pretty much any SNK boss would be up there, I think. I once managed to beat Rugal in KOF '94 in an arcade on one credit, and I still think it was a glitch. That, or a stroke of pure dumb luck. I guess it's not really a matter of how strong SNK's bosses are, but how frustratingly cheap they are. Amakusa's teleporting in Samurai Spirits, Goenitz' insanely damaging tornadoes in KOF '96, and Yumeji's morphing in Samurai Spirits V. Yeah...that really frosts my strudel...

Hey glad to see another KoF series player here :)

SNK bosses use joystick read reactions even more than in capcom games.

The game i have more experience from them is KoF´98, and i consider that Rugal the easiest one (maybe because i have played that version more), but yeah its kind of unfair that you set a motion for a regular move or a special move (desperation moves like snk call them) and the cpu starts counteracting even before your animation frame has begun.

However they have many weaknesses, such as the cpu never waits for you to move, that "impatience" is key in those games, also good countermeasures, as those games allow with rolls, and counters, another one is like in any game they usually try sequences, to trigger them you need to make a move that makes them miss the first hit, then they are open for heavy attacks from you. Also some hits are in a range the CPU doesnt calculate well, so managing fighting distances with the opponent is key to master the game.

Made some friends at the arcade playing KoF from quite some time ago, they have pretty much mastered those games.

Playing against them or with them (sometimes we turned characters), helped me improve my game quite a bit, and let me tell you: human "bosses" are a lot harder and way more fun to play, they also learn a lot not only from the game but other factors that make playing a better experience.

Smoothly Does It
28th June 2006, 10:51 AM
FF bosses are always easy enough providing you go in prepared, a pleasant change having to actually think in a Final Fantasy game, lol.

Can't think of any particular boss that ever stumped me, though a few of the R-Type/Xenon II (Master System) style bosses were a handful and had a shovel full of eye candy thrown in, which is nice. Otherwise, I tend to just get stumped by the game and never actually get to the ruddy bosses :paperbag

rejj
30th June 2006, 07:46 PM
Although it isn't the "hardest boss", probably one of the hardest introductions to a game is the first boss battle in Ninja Gaiden on the xbox. That was a brutal introduction to a rather hard game.

Also, the lava scorpion in Devil May Cry was also extremely hard as a first boss.

q_dmc12
1st July 2006, 04:21 AM
8492nd squadron:o

lunar
1st July 2006, 10:41 AM
Side-scrolling shooters are the only games I play that have bosses at all, and I agree about the R-Type ones, Ali; what a bunch of badasses they can be. I got stuck on R-Type Final at the boss in the city section about a year ago, and haven`t played it since I got Pure. I could put the game on "baby" mode of course, but with a name like that pride will not allow me. They might as well call it "crap at shooters" mode and have done with it.

Tomahawk
1st July 2006, 11:16 AM
Talking 'bout side-scrolling shooters: A few years ago I spent a lot of time trying to finish the game "Einhänder" on PS1 on the hardest difficulty mode. Even when you've achieved all extra weapons during the game it's imo nearly impossible to finish the game on hardest difficulty without cheating!

I agree with Ruby Weapon from FF7 being one of the hardest rpg-bosses ever. It took me a hell of a time to beat this boss and have all three characters standing at the end of the battle.

Distrupto
11th July 2006, 04:06 PM
I haven't played many games with bosses. In Crash Nitro Kart, Velo was too easy. He had a lot of weapons, but was inaccurate and I beat him with both teams(Crash & Cortex). I'd have to put it with the GT-1 Trophy racers in the final race of Need For Speed: Porsche 2000. Though that wasn't exactly a boss, it was close enough. It takes a lot of 5 lap practice sessions to beat them, even though Monte Carlo 5 is my 2nd favorite track, and if you lose, you have to pay 750000 credits to buy a new 911 GT-1 or have to work your way back up from the start to get another chance.

q_dmc12
11th July 2006, 08:59 PM
Tetris, level 20 :hyper :p

Gerg
17th July 2006, 11:43 PM
There are so many bosses that I've encountered in which I was far too unprepared to fight. I don't remember them, but I remember getting my ass whooped in less than 10 seconds, in most cases.

I'd have to guess most of them were in FF games...and probably Devil May Cry as well...

Zerow
18th July 2006, 09:54 PM
Anyone who's played the DS reincarnation of Super Mario 64 will know that the final fight with Bowser is no pushover thanks to the awkwardness of the stylus in that circumstance.

You can't help but grin when you finally beat him though! :D

JABBERJAW
18th July 2006, 11:39 PM
beating the nightmare car from ridge racer 4 using a complete piece of crap car for turns(damn that last turn)

Lance
19th July 2006, 12:10 AM
beating the nightmare car from ridge racer 4 using a complete piece of crap car for turns(damn that last turn)

That whole last section is a nightmare for me, not just the very last turn.

Airrider
19th July 2006, 03:59 AM
Any of the later bosses in the Raiden shooters are nuts. They crush you under the sheer weight of their projectiles. I mean, they're EVERYWHERE!

By that same token, the Virtual-On bosses are nuts!

Logic
30th July 2006, 02:07 AM
For me it has to be the hand-to-hand fight with liquid snake on top of Metal Gear Rex (extreme difficulty). It somehow gets really buggy in his favour, so I end up doing no damage despite the TV clearly indicating that my fists hit his face, this while he prepares a massive combo that takes half my health! Then there's the fact that when you knock him down while he's low on health he just recharges his energy really fast.

Zerow
30th July 2006, 10:12 PM
That's the one thing I find most frustrating about that hand-to-hand duel with Liquid - the fact that he can regenerate his energy and you only have one energy bar worth of Life to last you untill you manage to knock him off of Rex.

SuCCeSSoR [666]
2nd August 2006, 01:05 PM
I had a lot of problems on finishing FarCry.
Damn, that last level (Volcano) was so damn hard for me I used the "chair between door"-trick so I could resupply my ammo after it ran out.
I also had to lure the big-ass mofo's to the door so I could shoot them from behind the corner.
I tried to finish it in the 'open field' of the volcano so many times till it frustrated me soooo much after about a week of trying. It was just too hard for me. :(

But hey, I finished it. :p

Tetsuofan
5th August 2006, 07:40 PM
I was playing Tekken 4 one time as Kazuya and in order to defeat Heihachi and Devil Jin, i had to repeatedly just keep with plain punching so that they couldnt touch me and do some real damage so i went in for the kill slow and easy. Speaking of Tekken, when i get to Devil Jin in game number 5 hes almost unbeatable, the only character ive gotten to there that far is Christie. Im thinking also that compared to Devil Jin, thats just a sparring match compared to Jinpachi who i hear is nearly impossible to beat. I wish the PS3 would get here faster so i can play number 6.

Zerow
12th August 2006, 10:45 PM
Does anyone else remember the final boss from Sonic The Hedgehog 2? What a nightmare when you first reach it, particuarly as you have no rings whatsoever throughout!

You first have to do battle with a bio-mechanical version of Sonic, who rolls into a ball of steel spikes and charges at you, leaps through the air to catch you out, and occasionally shoots spikes at you. Remember, one strike, you dead. And if you manage to get past that, you then come face-to-face with the Death Egg ("Oooohh my Gawwwd . . .!" :o).

However, once you've put in a bit of practice, it's possible to get past the entire battle without losing a single life.

Rapier Racer
12th August 2006, 10:59 PM
Yes I recall that, I think it's actually Dr Robotnik himself that fires those spikes at you, after about 2 goes the metal sonic was easy to beat, took me a little while to beat that giant Robotnik though, also took me a while to time the jumps right on Sonic & Knuckles when the big Robotnik machines firing that laser at you

q_dmc12
13th August 2006, 10:52 AM
Sonic all the way, W00t!

Any body remember Vectorman 2, I forgot the name of that bosshttp://engr.smu.edu/~kaytaz/106.gif

Zerow
13th August 2006, 10:55 PM
I could've sworn that it's Robo Sonic (whatever he's called) that shoots the spikes at you. It always occurs as he leaps into the air, and the spikes shoot out from eight different angles from him at the peak of his jump. I'll play through Sonic 2 again at some point just to make sure. I have the Xbox version of Sonic Mega Collection Plus, but I'm certain I still have my original Mega Drive copy somewhere, have to see if I can dig it out.

Anyways, more hard bosses . . . ah, I've just remembered another one from the original Metal Gear Solid. Is there anyone here that managed to survive Ocelot's torture session WITHOUT submitting? I just couldn't do it, full stop.

Rapier Racer
13th August 2006, 11:15 PM
Heh look closly, at the area where Metal Sonics jump peaks, you should see Robotnik watching, hmm I always thought it was him. Further investigation is needed :)

bakkufu
14th August 2006, 07:36 AM
I must confess, I thought it was Metal Sonic that fired them...

did anyone plug sonic 3 into sonic and knuckles and get all the chaos emeralds? Cause I spent a weekend doing it about 6 months after it came out and "doomdsay zone" at the end is a right swine to complete!!!!

Rapier Racer
14th August 2006, 11:10 AM
Yes I did on the Sega and on the PS2 with the mega collection+, not only the normal chaos emeralds but i got all the super emeralds too which gives me hyper sonic!

bakkufu
14th August 2006, 05:33 PM
man that game was hardcore, and fun :)

Chill
17th August 2006, 02:16 AM
The only boss that I thought was incredibly hard for me that I could never beat, because I haven't played too many games, is Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts... Even at level 101 with the top sword, I still could never beat him!!!!

Oh yeah, and the later bosses in Drakengard, having to be able to kill the Chaos dragon as Caim, and that damn queen lady!!! Aaarrggh!!!

infoxicated
17th August 2006, 08:47 AM
Some of the bosses in God of War I thought were extremely tough, but then I don't normally play that kind of game (due to the lack of actual race tracks and, erm, racing).

When I saw the final boss I just thought "You're having a bloody laugh?!", but then the fight with him went pretty straight forwardly. Granted I've yet to finish the game because I got stuck on the middle section of the end fight and sold the game on ebay before I had a chance to finish it. D'oh!

bakkufu
17th August 2006, 01:10 PM
I'm replaying Black for the Xbox on hard so I can have a crack at the black -ops mode, that has some hardcore places in it, not boss fight's parse, but the nearest equivelent in the game.

You end up being locked in rooms with respawning guards, armed with body armor, rpg's, m249 support guns AND there are gun turrets at one end of the room, and you have to take out every single one of them, madness!!!

But very very fun!

Zerow
17th August 2006, 10:56 PM
This is also not technically a boss, but it's so difficult, I ought to mention it here. I'm talking about the classic sports car endurance race at Laguna Seca in Forza Motorsport. It's extremely hard, owing to the fact that one of the AI opponents is at the wheel of a classic Ferrari that outstrips every other classic car in the game by a significant margin. Even the mighty Ford GT40 has trouble keeping up with it. This is made all the worse because you are not permitted to upgrade your car for the race, and the only way you can obtain the Ferrari car yourself is by winning that particular race! :bomb