PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a...

stin
7th April 2006, 05:25 PM
..laptop computer today and already connected!!!

As far as I know it will be three computers will be running but I have not installed for my daughter just yet.

stevie :)

Sausehuhn
11th April 2006, 03:56 PM
lucky man.
Hope I can get a laptop in a year or something as well, these things are really good imo.

Just imagine how nice it is to sit in your bet and surfing trough the web without sitting on a chair on a cold table.

Unfortunately laptops are still nothing you can coll cheap :/

lunar
11th April 2006, 04:17 PM
Yes and no more having to worry about pee breaks while on kai, and even having to play some races from the bathroom. With your new laptop you can just sit on the loo all night playing kai and still be able to type messages. Now thAt`s the kind of thing that should make us be thankful we live in the modern world..... :paperbag

Lion
11th April 2006, 07:41 PM
hehe, you know you are living in the future when....

this week my work gave me a laptop to use. I'm not hopeful of it's internal wireless being supported by kai, but admittedly I haven't looked yet.
it's a handmedown but still a recent model (toshiba tecra a3). I'm amazed how fast Pentium-M cpus are. this thing is 1.7GHz but does some things quicker than my p4 2.4 (even overclocked to 3.0)

what is your machine stin?

Lance
11th April 2006, 08:56 PM
my toilets have always been wireless.

AmigoJack
11th April 2006, 10:43 PM
"kai"? on more nuthang i dont know...

got my notebook since early 2002 and never regretted to invest my money into a robust dell. the PIIIm (733 to 1000MHz) satisfies my needs up to today. harddrive never broke, dvd-read/cdrw-combodrive never broke, nearly a normal keyboard layout (i hate it having the arrow keys mixed with others and other essential keys also cant be placed better - ive seen horrible other layouts...).

i can only suggest everyone to check out dell, dont want to advertize it. but either youre one of the guys who buy every year the newest stuff because of vogue and style - or you priorize function over form. ok, technical stuff nowadays outdates pretty early, but a device which doesnt break years is worth every cent.

and i really "used" the machine, mostly having it 24/7 running - often even with a high cpu load. i'd buy again at dell - i think the guys there know which hardware devices work together at best, what makes the system stable. this also helps ppl who dont wanto see bsod's ;-)

Lion
12th April 2006, 08:27 AM
nobody wants to see BSODs :P
if I was buying a laptop for personal use I'f buy an apple macbook pro.... if they had more than one button on the trackpad. god damn that annoys me :(

stin
12th April 2006, 06:25 PM
LOL! wireless in the lav???, actually I do take my psp with me and still beat you while whatever you can think of.....

My specs are...

Packard Bell,
Mobile AMD Sempron 3100+(tm)
Via/53G Uni Chrome Pro IGP
256mb of Ram
Physical Address Extension.
Windows XP Home Edition
SP2.

A bit slow but I`m happy

stevie:)

Daylight
14th April 2006, 03:07 PM
hehe, you know you are living in the future when....

this week my work gave me a laptop to use. I'm not hopeful of it's internal wireless being supported by kai, but admittedly I haven't looked yet.
it's a handmedown but still a recent model (toshiba tecra a3). I'm amazed how fast Pentium-M cpus are. this thing is 1.7GHz but does some things quicker than my p4 2.4 (even overclocked to 3.0)

what is your machine stin?

p4 have a notoriously bad architecture, as a friend of mine who works in the field explained to me once. according to him the problem with p4 processors is that intel went for huge clock speeds and complicated the whole processing procedure at the same time. In the end a 1.7GHz processor with p6 architecture (your pentium-m) ends up being faster and an overclocked 2.4 p4. It's a bit complicated and I'm not sure I understand it myself but I think that's what it is in a nutshell.

jospicy
14th April 2006, 07:21 PM
the funniest thing about the P4 has to be the fact that they din't advertise the fact that all the HT chipsets are dual core which is why the AMD chipsets only outperform them when running a native 64 bit O\S. As the AMD has 2 chipsets ( a 32 bit and a 64 bit ) on 1 die where the P4 HT is nither it is a mix being 32\64 so just adapts when needed. the mobile chips intergrate HT with a better manufacturing processs that allows them to create smaller cores that are more efficient and heat up less while in use the Pentium M chips perform much better as until the 3.0 P4 they didn't have HT which is where the major difference comes in ( the leak rate fell from 55% to 30% with the PIII still being more efficiant with only 5%)

as an end point my room is CPU\PSU powered :P as i have :
AMD 3400 Clawhammer, 500W PSU 1GB DDR, 40,120,250,300GB HDDs 9800 Pro, Win 2k
AMD 1200 Thunderbird, 300W 512MB SD, 80GB HDD, Gentoo Linux server
Dell PIII 600, 128MB SD, 10GB HDD, win 2k ( in a second gen with a new MB+processor :P )
the joys of being a poor uni student living away from home... but then the good news is that next year my flat will have a TV which means a hell of a lot more wipeing than this year :P i thik that's the "I've been living in uni for the last 3 weeks and need some sanity" rant over, and now that i'm home for a week or so expect some new times

jospicy8)

Lion
14th April 2006, 08:00 PM
@daylight: I am aware of the performance per cycle gap, but it's not supposed to make that much of a difference, at this point developers have been making pentium4 optimisations for about 6 years, that should also contribute to closing the gap a bit. Most things are quicker on my P4 though.

@jospicy: I think you are mixing up a few thing's you've read...
Hyperthreading (HT) is not the same as Dual Cores. dualcore is better.
my pentium4 is hyperthreaded, the pentium-m is not.
neither of these systems is dualcore, and neither of these systems is 64bit.
I'm pretty sure AMD's CPUs are not set up with a core for 32bit and a core for 64bit. they are simply a better architecture than the p4, and the x2 range has 2 full cores
the next generation from intel (they call it "core" just to confuse this further) is based more on pentium-m technology than pentium4, runs much cooler, is not all 64bit capable for some reason, is the basis for their their entire lineup (desktop, server and laptop CPUs) and outperforms the AMD stuff too
"Core solo" is the name for new intel single core CPUs
"Core duo" is the name for new intel dual core CPUs