PDA

View Full Version : OutRun

lunar
2nd April 2006, 11:07 AM
Anyone else have this for PSP, and is racing online? My username is sparks, and my ranking is around 1400 :paperbag. Grade C (up slightly from C-). Please post your username if you have it, and we can look out for each other. :)

Crusader
3rd April 2006, 09:18 PM
How do you rate it? Obviously, it's probably not wipeout-quality, but I remember playing the original Outrun in arcades about 15 years ago and LOVING it. I'm anxious to see what ppl have to say about it.

infoxicated
4th April 2006, 08:49 AM
I had no idea this was out yet - I'll try and get a copy today. :)

Edit: Actually, I just played it on a workmate's PSP and although it's a lovely little game that PSP nub is just too frustrating for driving games. :|

I'll either skip this or pick it up for the PS2 instead.

lunar
4th April 2006, 11:12 AM
I use the dpad, which works fine if you set it to maximum sensitivity. I got this version because the PSP is my means of online play, and it`s the first decent game for the PSP which features infrastructure online - so much easier than kai. I just put the umd in after buying it and was playing online in less than two minutes, including creating an account. Having done that it now takes about a minute to get up and running, from the PSP being switched off.

@ Crusader: The Gameplay I guess is typical OutRun, which means it`s absolutely an arcade racer. If unrealistic drifting offends you don`t get this. It`s very fast when you start unlocking more expensive cars, and very satisfying to pull off a tricky sequence of corners smoothly changing the drift from side to side. Single player Heart Attack mode is great, having to complete the course in time and satisfy your girlfriend`s extra driving demands is manic fun and lives up to its name. All your single player scores are automatically uploaded to the online scoreboard so long as you are logged on to the server, which makes this part of the game a bit more interesting than it would be otherwise, given the pretty simple gameplay. The online races work well, and I`ve seen no lag as of yet. It`s quite easy to play, and with only a small amount of practice you can go online and be in with a chance of winning races. Basically it`s all fast and fun, and while there are plenty of courses (30 forward and reverse) to learn and techniques to refine, it`s not deep like other racing games we could mention and won`t offer the same long-term satisfaction. Having said that, it`s the first game I`ve played in years which has given me the experience of still seeing it rushing past when I close my eyes. Sonic and Super Hang-On did that to me, so it must be something to do with Sega colours. :dizzy

Crusader
4th April 2006, 09:36 PM
@ Lunar: HAHA! Nice! You know, you read my mind cause just the other day I was thinking to myself "ya know, they really need to make a new Super Hang-On" for PSP or PS3 and go totally balls-out on it like Tecmo did with Ninja Gaiden! I hope there's one on the way, tho I'm not holding my breath. I'm glad you like it tho. It REALLY gets me excited when remakes of old classic are done right :D

JABBERJAW
5th April 2006, 12:37 AM
I have it for the xbox and that is pretty good. Very ridge-racery, but not as much skill required for the powerslides as RR. Very fun though, especially manual shifting being faster than automatic requires alot more skill

infoxicated
5th April 2006, 09:04 AM
Very fun though, especially manual shifting being faster than automatic requires alot more skill
Now I'm interested again... mmmm.... manual shifting... :)

Asayyeah
5th April 2006, 12:10 PM
(...) but not as much skill required for the powerslides as RR.
Talking about RR ( i mean psp version) , did you finished all the extra races when you complete the game? Cause i never seen that before something such hard as it is.