PDA

View Full Version : bye bye to the PS1

Lance
25th March 2006, 01:02 AM
i'm a little late getting the news on this one, but apparently Sony announced yesterday that production of the PS1 is stopping. [already has?]

-----

does anyone know when the last new game made only for the original Playstation but not for the PS2 was released?

Lion
25th March 2006, 01:47 AM
it was probably one of those olsen twins games :P

and I have to say I'm surprised that the PS1 didn't exit production some time ago.
over here many video libraries have stopped renting PS1 games and game stores stopped taking them as a trade-in in the middle of last year

stin
25th March 2006, 08:59 AM
Oh well but I still can buy second hand original Playstation 1 console.

Also I have four as well ;)

stevie:)

Asayyeah
25th March 2006, 12:14 PM
Don't forget to count the one you offered me 2 years ago ;)

oVerCaffeinated
26th March 2006, 03:50 AM
The Playstation had a very good run. Not as good as the Famicom (Japanese SNES) which was released in 1983 and produced until 2003 :o

infoxicated
26th March 2006, 09:55 AM
With the PS2 and the PS3 emulating the PS1, and the PS2 probably going to drop in price as its lifespan continues, it doesn't really seem economical to go on producing PS1's to me.

Lance
26th March 2006, 01:05 PM
true that it probably doesn't make economic sense to Sony, but i never liked the PS2 package nor do i like the smaller newer version with its ridiculously small power and hatch opener buttons and its separate power supply. i like the classic PSX package best for the non-PS2 games. too bad that hasn't been made since about 1999.

Chill
7th October 2008, 11:55 PM
Agreed... I think that the original PSX still shouldn't have gone out of production so soon due to the linking capability...

gnesta_93
8th October 2008, 04:37 AM
Chill, look at the dates, this tread is over 2 years old:P

Chill
8th October 2008, 06:08 AM
Haha yeah but I was aggreeing on the early 1999 cut off of the Original PSX... which is yet 9 years back!!! But I appologize... I just think that some classic games will lose their multiplayer capabilities, like the PS1 Wipeouts for example if the Original PSX was to ever go extinct (hopefully not...)

gnesta_93
8th October 2008, 01:31 PM
ok:P.

DawnFireDragoon
9th October 2008, 12:12 AM
also the ps2 does not emulate ps1 games to their best quality, even with that smoothing graphics stuff turned on. something to do with the ps2 emulating software as a guess.
played side by side you can notice it on most games and even not side by side two titles it stands out on are the original wipeout and final fantasy vii (specifically during battles), two of my fav ps1 games and games ever made...thus i will always hold onto a slimline psone, even though i do own a ps2.

its a sad day :(