PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta

JABBERJAW
24th March 2006, 01:38 AM
Loved the movie, kinda like the book "1984" theme with a touch of fighting in it. Don't want to give anything away.

Smoothly Does It
24th March 2006, 02:46 AM
Only other review of it i've seen (Jonathan Ross) said it was terrible, the acting was poor and the plot outdated... supposedly.

Task
24th March 2006, 04:21 AM
The graphic novel is absolutely fantastic. Almost as good as The Watchmen.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the movie. Soon as I can get out of house... 8 P

Roger
24th March 2006, 09:25 AM
Heard a review on the radio, sounds interesting. The story reminds me of Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

JABBERJAW
24th March 2006, 02:51 PM
I don't take reviews worth a grain of salt. Reviewers don't go to the movie to enjoy it, but to find anything that is wrong with it. Reviewers destroyed the original matrix, and then backpeddled after. After seeing Dark city on dvd because it got very poor reviews, I decided not to bother reading them any more until after I saw a movie I was interested in

Task
24th March 2006, 03:52 PM
Aint that the truth!

I've found that there's only ONE reviewer that I can actually trust to review a movie: someone I know that has the same taste in movies as I do. 8 )

Anyone else that reviews a movie, I can almost guarantee that they're going to completely miss the whole point of the movie and end up reviewing all the features of the movie that I'm not interested in. 8 P

Lance
24th March 2006, 05:33 PM
i lost faith in the guy who used to be my favourite reviewer when he didn't even have my fave movie of last year in his top 20, even though it's one of the best i've ever seen and even though damn near every other reviewer had it at least in the top 5. he just didn't get it. not a good sign.

btw, he says that V for Vendetta is the best movie of 2006 so far. rated it at 3.5 stars out of 4. i think that as he has gotten older he has become more action-flick oriented. sort of the opposite of what one might expect, but perhaps his older hormones need more of a jolt to keep him awake?

Renegäde
30th March 2006, 10:09 PM
I saw the film a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoyed it. Also where did you get the graphic novels of it Task? Really interested in reading them.

Task
30th March 2006, 10:26 PM
Um... I got it off my friend who collects graphic novels... 8 P

My best "source" for buying them is comic/hobby shops. There's usually a shelf with just graphic novels on it. Oddly enough, I've seen them more and more often in the more "mainstream" bookstores. The WBB carries a whole section of them and even Chapters/Indigo/Whatever has a shelf for them.

So I imagine that even if a store local to you doesn't have it at the moment (a fairly likely possibility unfortunately) you can probably order it from whatever print-on-paper source you prefer.

Spaceboy Gajo
1st April 2006, 05:46 AM
You'd figure that they'd be pushing a rerelease of the graphic novel with the movie's poster on the front. Just like they do with books that have been made into movies. Not only that, but this is like the first blockbuster of the new year.

Any ways, I'm with all of you. If there's a movie you really want to see I, I'll go watch it despite what the reviewers say. I still read what they have to say, but I'm certainly not swayed by it.

I did see "V for Vendetta" and enjoyed it a lot. Of course, I was in the mood for a "popcorn movie." Despite not even taking a bag when watching it on free popcorn night. Thought Hugo Weaving did a great job with the character and you didn't even see his face at all.

I take it Jay you haven't seen the movie yet?

Lion
1st April 2006, 09:55 AM
I just saw this a few hours ago, liked the movie, but I feel like I took everything away from it in one sitting that there was to get... not the kind of film I'd be likely to buy on DVD
I was particularly taken with how, in some places, they edited it in such a way that it felt like comic panel construction.
with shot choices though, not with actual panels like in the hulk

Task
1st April 2006, 04:43 PM
I take it Jay you haven't seen the movie yet?

Sadly, you have it correctly. 8 (

Since the wife wants to see it too, that means arranging some babysitting and making "serious plans". Not difficult, but not something you can do on the spur of the moment either.

I'll see it soon I'm sure, it's just a matter of exactly when. 8 )

eLhabib
9th April 2006, 10:33 PM
I just saw the movie, and I highly recommend it to EVERYONE. Considering how little hype this movie got in the media, I wasn't expecting anything, but this movie really blew me away! Granted, it's not exactly overflowing with action and scenes you haven't seen done before, but the story is ACE, the lines are sweet, and you can really tell the Wachovsky brothers' screenplay, it is absolutely gorgeous! Definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen. I think the main reason this movie didn't get much attention is that it got released too late. If this movie had been out five years back, it would have been THE movie everyone has seen multiple times.