PDA

View Full Version : Router Question

Rapier Racer
10th March 2006, 10:54 PM
Right experts, I’ve got a nice shiny new Belkin wireless router, now I’ve noticed there’s no power switch on the router itself and I’ve heard your supposed to leave routers on all the time even when your PC is switched off, so that’s basically my question, is it best to leave it on all day or to cut the power when the computer goes to bed, wouldn’t like to think its been designed to stay on and there’s me switching it off every night

Lion
11th March 2006, 01:14 AM
it's really irrelevant whether it's left on or not.
there are advantages to both options though:

leave it on: the internet is instantly available from the moment your machine powers on, you don't have to wait for it to connect. and you don't have to remember to turn it on/off ever
turn it off:your powerbill is maybe 5c/year lower

it's up to you, but I suggest it's easier to leave it on simply for convenience's sake.
but then I'm the kind that never turns his PC(s) off either. the uptime on one of the boxes here is 17 days, would be more like 80 days, but the theives turned off the power when they robbed our flat.

username
11th March 2006, 11:47 AM
i would leave it on all the time too, it might not be designed to shut down suddenly with power loss. (some electronic equipment has to slowly shut down first... like a pc)