PDA

View Full Version : Doa4

Wamdue
30th January 2006, 06:54 AM
I gotta say, wow. It was some time ago since I bought and played a good beat'em'up with my friends ( Soul Calibur II would probably be my last purchase before DOA4 ). But DOA4 kicks ass on so many levels. A tad hard to make come-backs when you can really chain combos that take 80% of your opponents health, counter-system suffers a bit from that the animations doesnt clearly show whats a high/body/low hit. Other than that the game is pure fighting bliss, games like these is what I got the 360 for.

Anyway, enough praise about DOA4. My reason for posting is that fighting games are really only at their best potential playing versus others. So, who else got it and a live-acc here? I tried getting elHabib into a game but when I invited him he didnt have the time and when he invited me I didnt have the time :D

Im no SS-rank pro in doa4 really, Im very much average so if anyone wants to we could hook up on live for some friendly games.

My gamertag is: Grim Reach

( whats your favorite character? mine is by far the drunken boxer. )

eLhabib
30th January 2006, 11:26 AM
argh, Brad Wong, the drunken master? I hate that guy! :D
I play with the fist of fury, Jann Lee :banzai

SMThomas
30th January 2006, 03:26 PM
I got DOA4 as well! It's a great game and so far, I'm making quite good progress.

My Gamertag is 'SMThomas' so you can face me in matches and check out my achievments! Do you like my gold in Tag Team Time Attack?

P.S. I'm not sure which one is my favourite but Hayote and 'that purple haired girl' is a great combo for me in tag team!

Thruster2097
31st January 2006, 12:40 AM
DOA4 is all sold out around here at the moment.
When it's back in stock, I'll consider getting it along woth nfs most wanted.

my gamertag is marky895, add me to the friend list.

Favourite DOA character has got to be kasumi, she's so damn quick!

Wamdue
31st January 2006, 07:10 AM
Fineally unlocked the Spartan-458 character :) I keep coming back to mr wong in online fights tho. I mastered the cheesy art of lying down on the floor, having a drink.. await the overly eager "NINJAH LOLOOLOL"-player charging at me and then kick him in the nuts. As soon as he recovers Im back on the ground having a siesta. Thats why I like playing as him, he looks harmless but has some really mean combos :D

Airrider
31st January 2006, 07:55 PM
That other new girl, Kokoro, looks cute...

Lion
31st January 2006, 08:02 PM
have you guys had any problems playing on live? the reviews I saw said it was great until someone started watching your match in the lobby.
their other comments were that the single player ai is terrible, but for multiplayer the game is doubleplus awesome except for that lobby thing

eLhabib
1st February 2006, 12:22 AM
absolutely true. the singleplayer AI is a joke and can in fact not be called an AI. It's simply unfair and a matter of luck if you lose or win. Of course, good players will find it easier to beat, but some things are just not right. There are single player matches were you can do the same exact move 20 times over and the AI will fall for it every time, and then the very next match you can vary your punches and kicks so that no human player could ever guess what's next, but the AI counters each and every move. Simply stupid. But then, who cares about single player, right? You can BUY all of the costumes, too, with ZackDollars earned online, so you don't ever have to keep up with the single player AI again after unlocking the extra characters.

And yes, the online play does suffer from lag eventually, but I don't think it is caused by people watching a game. Actually, I have found the lag to be pretty random. I mostly play in a closed lobby with the same 3 or 4 people I know, and one day it runs perfectly smooth, and the other day it's choppy as all hell. No clue why.

SMThomas
1st February 2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah you're right about that and there are some glitches involved with online mode including that when you view the players in guide menu while in DOA online, sometimes it doesn't happen to load any of the data and then it froze! Meaning I have to reset the console up to get it back to normal!

Oh about the AI, it's not brilliant for beginners since it's awkwardly hard! I have no problems in survial and goes OK with the story mode but the time attack (single battle) mode - MEGA FRUSTRATING! It's because not only it has hard-type AI but 2 match points?! That's time wasting! I might try fighting with 1 match point but...

eLhabib
1st February 2006, 03:39 PM
tell me about it!!! I fought that freakin' Alpha bitch for HOURS, beating her on the first round, on the second round she's got only about a pixel of health left and then she completely whoops my ass the rest of the round and the next and deciding one. happened to me over and over and over and over and over again. It's simply frustrating, because it is so unfair. And I am not whining that this game is too hard, I am a pretty good fighter actually, but hey, this Alpha character? She can throw you WHILE you are unleashing a combo. WTF? she has single kicks that take away one third of your energy. WTF??? she has a counter that takes away 3/5 of your energy. DOUBLE-U TEE EFF??? got nothing to do with AI anymore...

SMThomas
1st February 2006, 04:02 PM
tell me about it!!!

Well you go to Settings-->Game Settings-->Time Attack (single) and then change match point to 1 so that once you beat the oppenments, you head on to the next stage. Advantage that you get the time attack single acheivments a heck lot easier but you can't unlock costumes for characters and your time record made from this cannot go on the leaderboards unless you use the default settings (which is needed for bonus character's costumes).

I haven't tried this yet but I seen that on some sites and there are players who tried this before. Well for me, Tag Team Time Attack (on default settings) is a lot better for me because you only have to deal with two oppenments and there are five battles without that aplha boss.

eLhabib
1st February 2006, 09:45 PM
well, I know that I can set the fightcount for time attack mode to 1, but, as you said, this way I will NOT unlock any costumes, I will NOT unlock the last character Tengu, and I will NOT be able to compare my times to global leaderboards, so WHAT WOULD BE THE F*CKING POINT OF PLAYING TIME ATTACK?

;)

SMThomas
1st February 2006, 10:45 PM
Well I did complete Time Attack (Single Battle) using default settings many times before but if you haven't completed Time Attack using the normal settings yet then no worries, you might get better with it as the time comes. Remember there are different ways to get all costumes like buying them from Zack's shop or completing story mode many times for example...

Hang on...Does Tengu need to be unlocked by completing Time Attack with all characters, each on default settings?

eLhabib
1st February 2006, 11:16 PM
Tengu has to be unlocked by playing through all time attack battles at default setting, and don't worry about me, I've got it all through ;) but to win this wasn't a matter of skill, it's mostly a matter of luck and endurance, and for beginners to the game I imagine it would look like an impossible goal to achieve, and that should never ever happen in a good videogame.

Lion
2nd February 2006, 06:42 AM
I dunno about that, phantom looked impossible to me when i was still racing at venom speeds.
now venom is painfully slow to me
it's not about it seeming impossible, it's about having the right difficulty curve leading up to the hard task(s)

eLhabib
2nd February 2006, 11:39 AM
true. but then in doa4 there is no learning curve. it starts off with unfair.

SMThomas
2nd February 2006, 03:02 PM
Tengu has to be unlocked by playing through all time attack battles at default setting, and don't worry about me, I've got it all through ;) but to win this wasn't a matter of skill, it's mostly a matter of luck and endurance, and for beginners to the game I imagine it would look like an impossible goal to achieve, and that should never ever happen in a good videogame.

Ah I see, you tried the easy method before but have to unlock Tengu using that method you given, right? That's cool, thanks for the info as I will have a whale of the time trying to unlock that badass character but don't you worry 'bout me too, I completed it with many characters (about over the half) using default settings so I only need to complete a couple before I get to the prize. It makes sense that Tengu is no easy gain but all hard work has to be rewarded nicely. Again, thanks for the info and well done on completing time attack as well!

Anyway, yes you're right about difficulty curve and the more you play, the better! I'm beginning to play survial under hard mode! (remember that there are different leaderboards for each difficulty).

P.S. eLhabib, could I add you to my friends list?

eLhabib
2nd February 2006, 08:24 PM
personally, I don't give a rat's ass about the Tengu, it's the ugliest, silliest attempt of a cool boss-character I have ever seen, I just unlocked hime for the sake of completion.
also, you will quickly find out that beating 100 enemies on survival on very hard doesn't gain you ANY advantage at all against online competition. the AI simply sucks too much for real training.

and yes, you may of course add me to your friendlist, looking forward to get my little Jann Lee-ass owned by you ;)

Lance
2nd February 2006, 08:49 PM
so DoA 4 continues the tradition of poor AI that i saw when i got the now ancient DoA 2 for Dreamcast? that means that the solo player basically has nothing but an animated picture gallery instead of a game. would that be an accurate assessment?

eLhabib
2nd February 2006, 11:44 PM
well if you can imagine an animated picture gallery that can repeatedly annoy the hell out of you for several hours at a time, YES.