PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into horror?

Dogg Thang
16th November 2005, 09:08 PM
Just curious. If you are, have you seen the cover of the latest Rue Morgue magazine? Man, what a perfect horror image. There's something genuinely creepy about it.

You can see the image at http://rue-morgue.com/ but it really has to be seen in the full print-size version for full effect. It's inspiring.

Lance
16th November 2005, 09:13 PM
:o
well... no

Dogg Thang
16th November 2005, 09:20 PM
Ah well...maybe you haven't seen the right horror movies! Although if that's the case, it could be argued that I haven't seen the right chick flicks...

Lance
16th November 2005, 09:30 PM
for me, i don't believe that the ''right'' ones of those exist in either category.

eLhabib
16th November 2005, 10:42 PM
a month ago, the 'viennale' film festival was here in Vienna, and there I saw the first horror movie that really, REALLY gave me a hard time trying to sleep for a couple of days. It's a Thai movie called 'Shutter', and if you are into horror, you really HAVE to see it! Unfortunately I have no idea where to get it from, or if it will be released in a dubbed version (I wouldn't want to see it EVER AGAIN anyway;) ), but maybe if you search around you will find some info.

Just so you know, I have seen TONS of horror movies. This one is the only one that scared the **** out of me!:cold

Dominator
17th November 2005, 01:14 AM
"Dogg" where did you get your Avatar??8)
I have to have one :hyper :hyper
Not really into horror movies but do watch the odd one, yet to find one that will scare me shitless!!
Big time Sci-fi fan :D

Drakkenmensch
17th November 2005, 03:10 AM
Personally, I'm a big fan of the japanese horror style. It never ends well unlike american flicks, the horror can't be stopped, not with guns, knives, prayers or holy water, or indeed AT ALL.

It's nasty, angry, incomprehensible and will lash out at the living just for BEING THERE.

It's absolutely awesome :)

Ajescent
17th November 2005, 02:48 PM
Japanese horror does kick ass, all you have to compare the 2 grudges amd the ring collections and you'll see why the Japanese kick ass at making horror movies.

eLhabib
17th November 2005, 02:53 PM
I've seen both parts of 'the Grudge' and 'Ringu', and I have to say neither of them is even half as scary and horrible as 'Shutter'.

stin
17th November 2005, 05:40 PM
I had thought "Ghost Ship" was pretty scary to me!!!

stevie

Drakkenmensch
17th November 2005, 05:47 PM
It's a Thai movie called 'Shutter', and if you are into horror, you really HAVE to see it! Unfortunately I have no idea where to get it from

Used to be a fantastic forum for horror movie torrents called Crazy Mazey's House of Horror, got a lot of awesome japanese flicks there but it seems to be gone entirely.

The old URL was crazymazeys.kicks-ass.org, hopefully it will return in some form or other eventually.

Dogg Thang
17th November 2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah, the last few years brought out some stunning asian horror movies. The timing was perfect too as the Scream teen thing had pretty much killed US horror for a while. Unfortunately it seems as if the asian horror has all gone a bit stale. I think it just got too saturated too quickly and the remakes didn't help. But it has left us with classics like Ring, One Missed Call, Kairo and Ju-On (if you even remotely liked the theatrical version of this you need to track down the original tv version - it is fantastic).

With the likes of Saw coming out of the US, I'm hoping Western horror will be rejuvinated. Many studios are declaring horror dead but that doesn't seem to be the case. Although often with horror, it needs to hit the bottom before someone comes out with something truly great.

X
18th November 2005, 08:41 AM
Japanese horror is scary, the 4(!) Grudge movies were WAY better than the remake. I saw a trailer of the korean movie Art Of The Devil 2, which looked pretty sick.

American horror movies have usually suck because they aim at a younger audience so they can get more money. There haven't been a lot of good horrormovies lately, Saw is the only one that comes to mind at the moment. Hellraiser 7 & 8 suck, I haven't seen Cursed and don't even want to. Movie studios in general only care about making money instead of making art, so they don't care if the movie is any good, as long as it has stars and people go watch them.

I am a big movie fan, but the last couple of years I really start to get annoyed by the Hollywood movie making attitude.