PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Nub on a PSP

skipper
16th October 2005, 05:44 AM
I found this link and thought some of you might be interested.
It shows how to replace your PSP nub with a PS2 analog stick.

http://bear24rw.50webs.com.nyud.net:8090/

Drakkenmensch
16th October 2005, 08:57 AM
WHOA.

Anyone can confirm the functionality of this replacement, and if it hinders using the D-pad much later?

infoxicated
16th October 2005, 10:31 AM
Heh - that is quite cool.

I like the way he calls it a numb instead of a nub - probably a more accurate description with the way your thumb ends up after prolonged use. :)

eLhabib
16th October 2005, 12:24 PM
I can't really imagine this to be comfortable, and even functional. Seeing as the PS2 controllers use an analogue stick that is TILTED to the sides, whereas the PSP nub is basically a SLIDER. means the range of movement (of your thumb) would be the exact same after replacing the nub, but now it's not even precise anymore... :? also, the surface on the nub has very good grip to it, but the PS2 stick loses grip at minimal movement. Furthermore I don't see how you could work the d-pad comfortably...

stin
16th October 2005, 02:12 PM
Stange but funny.

stevie :lol:

Drakkenmensch
16th October 2005, 02:17 PM
Oh my. I can see the problem now, that would be even harder to use than the original nub!

This does raise, however, the possibility of gluing a slightly larger circle on top of the current nub, covered in felt or some other easy-grip soft material.

Thoughts?

SMThomas
17th October 2005, 06:21 PM
well it should involve things like turning the nub pad 180* and axle sticks for example, just for the Playstation 2 nub to tilt and work with the game. It's possible but might be more complex and harder than the illustrated solution posted on the forum.

Rapier Racer
18th October 2005, 10:38 PM
Good lord did he really do that? some folk just need a good slap

SMThomas
18th October 2005, 10:41 PM
course he does but too bad it's still a slider...

Asayyeah
18th October 2005, 11:45 PM
my 2 cents from someone who has seen his nub been suddenly crashed : if you replace the psp nub by a ps2 one's you probably damage your psp easily.
The ps2 nub is larger higher and heavier than the normal one that can occures more power on the weaky plastic which leads the movement of the nub. With many vilolent barrel rolls or quick tremendous action on the nub you can imagine the result :?

SMThomas
19th October 2005, 12:52 AM
oo that's GOTTA hurt!

NOTE TO ALL CITIZENS THAT THE PLAYSTATION 2 CONSOLES HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED IN THE USA BY COURT BECAUSE THEIR DUALSHOCK 2 CONTROLLERS ARE INVOLVED IN PROJECTS* WHERE THEY CAUSED ABUSE AND CRUELTY TO PSP'S INCLUDING FORCING THEM TO PLACE THEIR NUBS OR PLUGS TO THE CONSOLE AND CAUSED THEM TO FEEL UGLY, THEY ARE SHAMED ON BY THEIR MASTERS AND ARE FORCED TO DRINK GALLONS OF BISTO GRAVY AND RECYCLED INTO PIMP BOOMERANGS

Please note that this statement above is made-up except there was a US case to discontinue PS2's because of their lawsuit involving Dualshock 2 controllers.

EDIT: Thanks hyper shadow for spotting the mistake out...

Hyper Shadow
19th October 2005, 06:15 PM
Discounted the PS2? Or do you mean discontinued :p

I wouldn't put anything on that ugly nub anyway, its getting little to no use from me, its uncomfortable and [the movement is] unnatural.

It is a little of a half-arsed idea though. If they were planning to put FPS' onto the console, it needed two nubs or just forget about them.

eLhabib
19th October 2005, 06:32 PM
if you ask me, the nub on the psp is GENIUS! i couldn't play purE without it, and its movement is certainly more precise than the the dual shock's analog sticks.

Drakkenmensch
19th October 2005, 06:39 PM
I tried using the D-pad for a race a few days ago - I was so weirded out from using the nub for so long, within seconds I was back on the analog controls again!!!

SMThomas
19th October 2005, 06:42 PM
I recommend a d-pad for racing and side-scrolling games, you should thank Gunpei from Nintendo for inventing it!

Lance
19th October 2005, 07:46 PM
or maybe the guy who invented the cursor key group on the standard IBM keyboard which got copied by damn near everybody. the D-pad is just a cursor key group

killerfrog
21st October 2005, 10:39 AM
Mmm....i ask myself if it works fine.

Anyone here did it? I wanna know.....i love ps2 controller even i'll never destroy the psp numb....it's quite useless no?

replicashooter
5th October 2006, 04:56 PM
http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/psp-extrab-kit-white.jpg

Thinking of ordering this set of replacement analog nub covers to make prolonged WP sessions more comfortable. Anyone tried one of these setups yet?

edit by asayyeah : no need to open immediately a thread for that : use the search function of that site and please read the guideline for posting pictures

Lance
5th October 2006, 07:22 PM
The pic is already in compliance with the guideline. It's 45 KB, under the 50KB upper limit. Good thing there weren't 2 of em, eh?

Asayyeah
5th October 2006, 07:26 PM
yep that's right i confused the 45 kb of this one and the one from Alterego sized at 83 kb :paperbag

Zerow
6th October 2006, 12:47 AM
I've yet to try out the PSP's analogue nub for Pure, and since I have no problems while using it to play other PSP games, I'm not that desperate . . . yet.