PDA

View Full Version : Guilty Gear Question

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 04:47 PM
I've been waiting for a while now for Guilty Gear to come for the PSP, having heard about a january release, and found myself wondering why I just saw Guilty Gear available since september 29th. Looking into review articles, I find that there's actually going to be TWO GG releases - Guilty Gear #Reload (available now) and Guilty Gear Judgement (january release)

Looking at reviews and previews, I see that #Reload comes without the Boost mode (the side scrolling brawl game) that Judgement is set to have, so now here's my question to afficionados of the series who know the games from other console incarnations - does Reload contain anything MORE than Judgement that would justify buying it right now, or will Judgement be exactly like Reload with the Boost mode added? If I get Reload right now, will I feel ripped off come january?

eLhabib
11th October 2005, 05:30 PM
hm, I didn't know that GG#Reload is coming to PSP, too! Are you sure your source is reliable? Judging by previous incarnations of the series, this 'GG#Reload' would be a direct port of GGX2 to the PSP.
I don't really see this making any sense though, since GG Judgement is supposed to have the very same beat'em up modus (with the same characters IIRC), PLUS the sidescroller mode, streets of rage style.

Please check your source, Drak, I would be very surprised to see TWO GG games come out. :?

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 05:45 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/search/index.php?type=11&stype=all&qs=guilty+gear
The search there does show two games, Reload released sept. 29th, and Judgement due for new year.

the gamespot review for Reload:
http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/guiltygearxxreload/reader_review.html?id=178884

the except of the review that made my ear twitch:

The Boost mode that has been floating around is not present here, as it seems Guilty Gear Judgment and #Reload are separate games (much to my disappointment). Unfortunately, I have not been able to experience the ad-hoc mode as of yet, since I don’t know anyone else who has imported this title.

So this is why I'm wondering if the only difference between Reload and Judgement is Boost Mode, or if there are extra goodies in Reload making it worth buying during my lunch break today.

eLhabib
11th October 2005, 06:23 PM
Hm, you're right! Now by the looks of that, I figure GG Judgement might ONLY be the sidescroller (like the original guilty gear). while that's cool too, you should NOT miss the joy that is GGX2, so I say YES, GO FOR IT. The high resolution of GGX2 will look even more amazing on the PSP. (rest assured that I will get it, too, so we can battle it out on xlink :wink: )

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 06:44 PM
*smiles* Okay! Yes, the idea of high resolution 2D fighters with nigh-perfect control schemes masterfully adapted to PSP (as the reviewer noticed!) does sound too tempting to pass. And yes, I hadn't thought of the possibility that Judgement might ONLY be the side scroller (sort of a GG flavored Final Fight) - not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you!

There seems to be some confusion between both games, though. IGN says that Judgement will let you fight one on one AND have Boost mode, but the preview page for Judgement shows the cover shot of #Reload, so they might just be confusing the two games...

Dogg Thang
11th October 2005, 06:48 PM
Well I had heard that they are going to be very different so, if you're a GG fan, it may be worth getting both. #Reload for PSP is in the post for me right now so I'll let you know my impressions when it arrives.

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the tips :) I've been waiting for Guilty Gear for a long time, it was never on any platform I had, so I always felt that I missed out on something awesome.

eLhabib
11th October 2005, 07:10 PM
You did indeed!

Dogg Thang, are you getting the JAP version? on lik-sank.com I can't find a US version. Is there even one?

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 07:23 PM
Wow, this is really messed up. IGN seems to not see any difference between Reload and judgement. It mentionned regarding Judgement: "also known as XX #Reload"

eLhabib
11th October 2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, since I am mostly an IGN reader, I didn't know it either! But hey, the more the merrier! I just need to know which version to get so I can play you on KAI. As of now, it looks to me GGX2#Reload is only coming as a JAP version for PSP.

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 07:49 PM
According to gamespot, it's already out! But they don't seem to LIST any prices or places to BUY it, and a quick google search for the PSP GG XX #Reload only yields hong kong sites... so it may yet be that we still have to wait until january, and Judgement really is the US version of the japanese XX #Reload.

UPDATE: I checked at EBgames on the way home and not only haven't they heard of a Guilty Gear game for PSP yet, their order database doesn't have that name listed in it at all. Reload is definitely a JAPANESE title.

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 10:12 AM
well then we have to find out if GG Judgement will also feature the versus mode from GGX2. If it does, I will wait for January, if not, I'm importing Reload from Lik-sang.

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 11:41 AM
of course it will feature ad hoc linking! It's the crown jewel of PSP capability, they'd be insane not to do it.

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 02:20 PM
well, PSP ad-hoc yes, but maybe only to have 2 players play the sidescroller TOGETHER.

What I mean is will it have the VS mode from GGX2? That game could in no way be any better. 8)

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 02:38 PM
That's exactly what I meant, yes. What's the point of a 2D fighter game if there's no versus mode??? If there isn't one, then I'll say "screw it" to the Boost mode of Judgement and import Reload instead.

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 02:46 PM
agreed.

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 02:52 PM
Very much looking forward to kicking your ass in a whole new way, buddy :twisted:

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 03:44 PM
I figure by 'kicking your ass' you are referring to the same way you are 'kicking my ass' in purE, huh? :P :wink:

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 03:48 PM
*snatches Bridget's bigass yo-yo and spins it around menacingly*

IT'S ON! :twisted:

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 03:55 PM
oh how I just KNEW that Bridget is your favorite character! :twisted: freakin' she-male! :wink:

alright then...
*rattles his kusara kama*
BRING IT, GIRLY-MAHN! :twisted:

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 04:01 PM
Bridget is NOT a shemale! He's just a total sissy boy and transvestite who was raised as a girl by his parents, there's a difference!

not that I care, still such an adorable girly boy... oh my, did I just say that out loud?

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 04:09 PM
*smirks*
if you had ever played GGX2, you'd know that Bridget is actually REALLY annoying :wink:

my guess is that either Chipp Zanuff, Slayer or Kai Kiske will turn out to become your favorite.

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 04:12 PM
It's bound to take me a while to figure which character to use - I expect a very steep learning curve here.

I've played a lot of fighter games before, do any of them train you in skills that will be useful in GG?

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 04:43 PM
HOLY CRAP! F*CK! I was just typing a REALLY long explanatory text, layouting the system of GG for you, and after typing more than 200 words at least, my window suddenly CLOSED! GAH!
sorry, but I won't write all this again! :evil:
to put it short - no, I can't think of any other game with a system close to GG, basically it revolves all around a rather small set of combos and half-specials, and a GENIUS 'Tension Bar' system, used to execute special techniques, such as 'Perfect Guard', 'Roman Cancel', and the very powerful 'Overdrive Attacks'.

The one game I can think of which trains the same skills is DOA, for it also depends on knowing WHEN TO DO WHAT, and a lot of blocking and dodging, rather than executing 278 different special moves one after the other, like it is the case in so many other fighting games (SF, MvC, Tekken, Mortal Combat,... - not bad games, don't get me wrong, I used to LOVE Tekken [YOSHIMITSU FOREVER!], but the fast, reaction-based action of GG - and DOA to some extent - really kills all competition)

hm, rather long text again, better submit it quickly before my window closes again... :x

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 04:57 PM
Ah yes, I remember that DoA has a very inventive countermove system that lets you grab your opponent's limb and turn the tables on them :)

This system sounds reminiscent of Killer Instinct. Your selection of actual moves was reasonably small, wide but not too overly elaborate, and you had a variety of combo fragments you could string together. With enough combos done, your combo enders would extend in length, with a combat ending ultra combo that you could use only when your opponent's life bar was in the blinking red section.

element42
12th October 2005, 05:33 PM
...like it is the case in so many other fighting games...Okay, you go on to say that you like Tekken... but, I played 3 lots (lots) when I was at uni; I found that, although there were occasions when the more... exotic special moves had their uses, 90% of the time we would play with around 10% of the available moves and judging the correct time/place to use them. Let's not forget reversals and chickens! I used to be **** hot with Ling (even if I do say so myself ;)) and one of my most effective tactics involved much sidestepping, and a standard juggle-starter and a short (but effective) juggle combo. I haven't played GG but Tekken (3, at least) really is very deep.

Drakkenmensch
12th October 2005, 06:30 PM
Just started looking up FAQs about GG, I really like the idea of a guard guage and a tension penalty for the turtle players, it encourages fast aggressive moves and non-stop action.

This definitely looks like my kind of game!

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 10:25 PM
element. you are absolutely right, in the hands of a true master, every fighting game is more about knowing when to to what move. I played the same way with yoshimitsu, but then you also have those 10 hit combos which are WAY to easy to execute and do A LOT of damage. Also there are characters like Eddy which make it possible for the most idiotic button masher to win a game every once in a while.
GG doesn't give button mashers ANY CHANCE AT ALL, and with that it really stands out.
Furthermore, every other fighting game I played so far looks FREAKIN' SLOW compared to GG.

element42
13th October 2005, 08:00 AM
Also there are characters like Eddy which make it possible for the most idiotic button masher to win a game every once in a while.
GG doesn't give button mashers ANY CHANCE AT ALLAh yes, Eddy, forgot about him. He was certianly a mashers dream. But a beat-em-up that punishes mashers? Fantastic! :twisted: And the reason I stopped playing Tekken was the lack of people to play against; with kai it might be worth learning to play GG! Although maybe I'll have to wait for Tekken PSP. If such a game will occur.

eLhabib
13th October 2005, 12:16 PM
I am absolutely sure Tekken will come to PSP.

GGX2 is already available for PS2 and XBOX, I do play it online quite a bit, but there is only a handful of frequent players online, and those are quite hardcore. Unfortunately, GG is still a niche game, since everyone seems to think of it as a cheap ripoff of SF and MvC - which it definitely is not.

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 12:51 PM
Well, as long as you know a few people who appreciate it for its full creative value... ;)

ADDITIONAL: If GG Judgement should fall through on the ad-hoc versus mode, we can always go HERE (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=304&products_id=7275)