PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Pure and how it was meant to be ?

vdu
3rd October 2005, 12:58 PM
Since the first few races with wipeout pure I noticed how the framerate suffer here and there, and since I knew that at first it was planned the PSP cpu would run at 333Mhz but sony later clocked it at 222, I always asked myself "How would it be to play wipeout with a 333Mhz PSP ?" and also "Did they design Wop for a 333Mhz only to find out that sony decided to clock it @222Mhz when it was too late ?"

Anyway, since finally I was able to play it at 333Mhz all I can say is WOW : this IS how wipeout was meant to be played. It fell so much more fluid and I had a lot less trouble especialy at phantom.

I really, REALLY hope that with a firmware 2.50 (or whatever it's new version is called) Sony implent the possibility to stretch our psp muscles allowing it to run at 333Mhz (who cares if the battery dry out faster ... ).

Drakkenmensch
3rd October 2005, 01:58 PM
*drools* Oooooh... I *so* want to have my Pure running at 333 Mhz!

Megatron42
4th October 2005, 05:49 PM
How do you make it run at 333? I know homebrew apps can set the clock speed ... but how did you do it? Or am I getting into questionable Wipeout Zone Forum territory by asking?

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 06:43 PM
As far as I know, the only way to increase clockspeed on your PSP is through means best left unmentionned on this forum. But I think Sony will integrate that increase in a future firmware revision once they release their increased storage batteries.

Dogg Thang
4th October 2005, 06:57 PM
Well they have announced better batteries - bad news is it's only 20% extra.

eLhabib
4th October 2005, 07:06 PM
duh, like anyone would care for an extra 30 minutes...

*coughripoffcough*

Asayyeah
4th October 2005, 07:43 PM
with Pal psp i can play during 5 hours. Honestly that's good enough for me. but a 20% extra time will be perfect :wink:
I can't imagine how zone 60 or higher will be if the psp cpu runs at 333Mhz... mamamiaaa

Dogg Thang
4th October 2005, 07:54 PM
Thing is, that's only an extra 20% playing time at 222. If you bring 333 into the equation, you'll end up with far less playing time.

Asayyeah
4th October 2005, 07:59 PM
you're right Dogg Thang i didn't noticed that. :oops:

Drakkenmensch
4th October 2005, 08:02 PM
Increasing the CPU speed by 50% will not necessarily lower battery time by that amount - after all, the biggest battery drain is not the CPU, it's the UMD physical drive and the WIFI, which wouldn't be affected by the higher clock speed.

vdu
4th October 2005, 09:25 PM
Exactly : the battery life would be shorten, but not that much. Anyway an option to choose which speed to run games at would be great. That way if u want to play something that doesn't need processing power u can make the battery last longer, but if you only want pure speed u can pump it up to 333.

I really hope they will put that into the next big firmware update. I kinda hope Sony kept the clock thing like an ace in the sleeve. Like, "Ok, we'll give u one good new reason to update to the next firmware". And if anyone from Studio Liverpool can make this advice come to the right ears ... keeping fingers crossed :)

(I'm sorry I didn't explain how to run at 333, but as Drakkenmensch said, it's best to left it outside here)

Lance
4th October 2005, 09:31 PM
it sounds from vdu's description that it isn't so much a speed increase as a framerate increase with consequent greater smoothness and more precise control

Space Cowboy
4th October 2005, 09:52 PM
I remember discussing this with Colin, or was it Egg?, in an earlier thread.
basically it just maxes out the fps to 30fps. This is the set rate for Pure, and what you get when you clock to 333Mhz. It wont go any higher regardless of what clock speed you use (i.e. 666Mhz or 800Mhz = 30fps just the same).

Megatron42
4th October 2005, 10:04 PM
I'll bet the framerate doesn't dip when the action gets more intense.

Sven
4th October 2005, 10:09 PM
I really hope they will put that into the next big firmware update. I kinda hope Sony kept the clock thing like an ace in the sleeve. Like, "Ok, we'll give u one good new reason to update to the next firmware".And I think it's an Ace they're probably going to play, considering the recent 2.0 crack.

Megatron42
4th October 2005, 10:39 PM
Apparently the 2.01 or 2.1 whatever number firmware update has already been released, and it only addresses the exploit. We'd have to wait for another update like 1.5x->2.0.

Dogg Thang
5th October 2005, 06:12 AM
In terms of battery usage - when you play emulators at 333 on the PSP, which requires no UMD access or wi-fi, you'd be stunned at how quickly the battery drains. It really does make a very real difference.

vdu
5th October 2005, 08:09 AM
I'll bet the framerate doesn't dip when the action gets more intense.

It suffer a bit anyway, but it's much less pronunced. I tested mainly Sebenco Climb, and the average frame rate is so much better on that track. Like Space Cowboy says, it doesn't go over the max frame rate, but it just stay close to it most of the time.

About the 2.01 firmware : Sony had to put a quick new firmware only to fix that thign up. It's like the 1.51 and 1.52 firmware updates. Meanwhile they need to create a new firmware with some new features/enhancements : like support for native resolution AVC movies, better browser (I don't really care about this one, and I think it can only make the psp more vulnerable), or finally set the psp to its native clock. And probably some other cool things they can do, and we don't know anything about it :) . That way a lot of ppl will upgrade ; I know for sure I will, if they do it right.

BaldyCurly
5th October 2005, 09:08 AM
with Pal psp i can play during 5 hours. Honestly that's good enough for me. but a 20% extra time will be perfect :wink:
I can't imagine how zone 60 or higher will be if the psp cpu runs at 333Mhz... mamamiaaa

Old asayyeah, as in asayyeah from wipefusion days? Not sure if you rememeber me, it's Chris from the Old Fusion forum's, how the devil are you matey??

stin
5th October 2005, 11:50 AM
Yup same guy but donĀ“t go near him cos he is crazier than ever!!!!!!! like out of Timewarp! 8O

stevie :lol:

Sven
5th October 2005, 01:06 PM
Meanwhile they need to create a new firmware with some new features/enhancements : like support for native resolution AVC movies, better browser (I don't really care about this one, and I think it can only make the psp more vulnerable), or finally set the psp to its native clock.Forget native resolution AVC, I can't even make movies that work on the thing. They need to add more codec support, or at least make their MPEG-4 support more open-source.

Also, a better browser with Flash and Java support, with page saving ability, would be amazing. It would allow some "homebrew" stuff via flash and java games, while also not really allowing piracy(try emulating Wipeout Pure in Flash).

vdu
5th October 2005, 05:05 PM
Sven have u tried pspvideo9 ? It's the most easy program (but not the best) to convert your movies and it works fine. The problem is that you are still forced to 320x240 for homemade movies, instead of the 480x272 used in UMD videos

Asayyeah
6th October 2005, 02:07 AM
Old asayyeah, as in asayyeah from wipefusion days? (...) how the devil are you matey??

Hey Chris !! Of course i remeber you.
It's very cool you join this friendly area, Hellfire told me you were around there.
there's also Lunar from WF board.

What's new about me : ahahaha i am always a die-hard addicted to zone ( just have a look on my thread into the WZ arena forum)

What 's your impression about Pure? about zone?

I hope we can exchange Pure Zone tips has we ve done for Fusion.... maybe with msn... these days i spent really great great time to talk to few WZ members ( in other hand i can relax my ' sored' thumbs tchating with them due to insane zone reached, lol 8) )

BaldyCurly
7th October 2005, 09:15 AM
Good to speak to you again asayyeah!

I have been staying outzone because the guys I race with don't like it. I have only managed Zone 44 so far but I will be back in the zone again as soon as I have mastered the rest of the game.

I love pure, best WO yet for me, shame that there are only 4 zone tracks so far and I would perfer a bit more colour in the tracks too, that blue can mess with your eyes a bit!

my msn is baldingcurly@hotmail.com, email is wipeout@chrisacton.co.uk.

Whats you stats for the 4 zones and how much time have you spent in their?

Give me a few weeks and I will be chasing you down mate!!!

Cheers, Chris

Sven
7th October 2005, 05:35 PM
Sven have u tried pspvideo9 ? It's the most easy program (but not the best) to convert your movies and it works fine. The problem is that you are still forced to 320x240 for homemade movies, instead of the 480x272 used in UMD videos
I have a Mac, and have pretty much tried every possible solution I've come accross. What really gets me is that I can make MPEG-4 movies in about 4 different ways with all kinds of options, including H.264, but none of them will run on the PSP.

xEik
10th October 2005, 09:12 AM
Use ffmpegx. It works like a charm and has plenty of options regarding screen sizes and ratios.

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

They even have a short PSP tutorial.