PDA

View Full Version : attention to detail

phantom
27th August 2005, 01:36 PM
how come in all of the wipeout games, youve never been able to break the sound barrier???

Ally Graham
27th August 2005, 01:39 PM
Good point, would be cool to have that sonic BANG!
lol

element42
27th August 2005, 01:48 PM
[edited after deletion of other thread]
okay: speed of sound = 340m/s. so /1000 and *360 =ish 1200 kph, which AFAIK (excluding Pure) the AG-craft never reach, according to in-game speedos. So they wouldn't break the speed of sound.

Mobius
27th August 2005, 01:48 PM
They had that in XtremeG3 and it was really disorientating and didn't really fit in.

Well thats what I think.

Lance
27th August 2005, 01:59 PM
phantom, please ask a specific question in only one thread rather than multiplying it in the forums. it was completely offtopic in the other thread you asked it in and would have constituted a hijack of the thread. i've deleted it from there. please read the WipeoutZone guidelines

G'Kyl
27th August 2005, 04:25 PM
Mobius: I thought it was cool in XG3 and XGRA, instead the game itself wasn't fitting my taste. :) In fact, the sound barrier braking was the only part that kept my playing the level tracks as they did the best job in suggested the idea of fast racing.

element42: It should be possible to go that fast in zone mode, shouldn't it?

Ben

element42
27th August 2005, 04:38 PM
zone mode! hadn't thought of that. yes, i suspect it could. can anyone confirm this?

Hellfire_WZ
27th August 2005, 05:01 PM
They do indeed reach that speed in Zone, but in Pure, Zone is a simulation rather than an actual physical race. It would make sense for the sonic boom to be omitted in this case.

Drakkenmensch
27th August 2005, 05:36 PM
This discussion raises a related problem - if the crafts were indeed able to reach the speed of sound and break the sound barrier, would they remain whole or suffer structural collapse and fall apart like cheap plastic models like the early airplanes who attempted the feat before Chuck Yeager's original supersonic flight?

Triakis is built like a tank and would probably survive, but I have precious few illusions about the chances of survival of a supersonic Medievil.

Axel
27th August 2005, 06:32 PM
I swear there is a car that looks like a rocket that has already broken the sound barrier? If I can find the link, I'll linkyfy it later on.

Edit: http://www.landspeed.com/learn.asp Well if we can break the sound barrier now, I'm sure in the PURE time period, they would have perfected vehicles to travel safely at them speeds.

Hellfire_WZ
27th August 2005, 08:21 PM
I think it's mainly to do with aerodynamics more than structural integrity. Look at today's supersonic jets, they can all break the sound barrier without a problem yet I wouldn't say any of them were built like brick s**t-houses. Concorde was a pretty fragile aircraft and yet if it wasn't for the PA announcement that they were travelling faster than the speed of sound, no one would notice the difference. Early craft that attempted this weren't built around aerodynamics and subsequently were torn apart by trapped air pockets that weren't adequately dispersed by their structure.

On top of that, AG craft are shielded. :)

Axel
28th August 2005, 08:34 AM
Yeah but the shields of the AG craft could be programmed or designed in an areodynamic way can't it? :P I think it should be done, but maybe in the phantom classes :)

Hellfire_WZ
28th August 2005, 08:48 AM
Sorry, badly worded. That last comment about the shields was supposed to be a positive. :wink:

Lameth
21st September 2005, 03:47 PM
speed of sound at sea level = 761.207051 mp/h....
In Fusion, my ship (Feisar) hit around 1950 kp/h, so around 1,211 MP/H. I'd say that's probably fast enough to break the sound barrier. by about 450 mph. probably fast enough. probably. BOOM. now imagine a fully souped up Icaras ship going full speed. 8O

on a side note, imagine what the crowd would be experiencing with sonic booms going off about 50 feet in front of them. nosebleeds, deformation of the cornea, bleeding ears, and deafness! fun! (I'd still go....it'd be worth it.) I remember going to an air show once, and a jet set off a sonic boom twice about 500 feet over our heads. my ears were ringing for about twenty minutes, and three people got nosebleeds. set off all the car alarms in the parking lot, too. :P

Drakkenmensch
21st September 2005, 04:19 PM
I can see the ad campaign for ticket sales already:

"Guaranteed permanent damage - or your money back!!!" :twisted:

G-Delta
21st September 2005, 04:25 PM
lol.
I think it wouldn’t fit in really, disrupting those cool Wipeout music tracks