PDA

View Full Version : PSP UPDATE 2.0!

Ally Graham
24th July 2005, 08:04 AM
At a special event in Tokyo, Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment announced a white version of the PSP and said it will release a software update next week that will add several new features to the device.

The version 2.0 firmware will bring an official Sony web browser with support for HTML 4.01, wireless photo sharing, WPA, and support for additional media formats including AAC audio and MPEG4 AVC video. The company also showed a new feature called Portable TV that allows for wireless video transmission to the PSP.

The update will be available via the PSP's built-in update function or on UMD starting July 27. It's not clear whether the update will be released simultaneously to users outside of Japan.

The new white PSP (PSP-1000KCW) is identical feature wise to the current PSP and will be available in Japan on September 15. It will sell for about US$220 (the same as the black version). There's no word on when or if it will be released outside the country.

In addition, Sony said at the event that 2.7 million PSPs have been sold in the U.S., compared to 2.3 million units in Japan.

More details:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/635/635636p1.html

djlucite
24th July 2005, 09:59 AM
w00t on 2.0 update.

I don't like the White PSP much, though...

Purist
24th July 2005, 10:10 AM
Weighed up for 1.5 users, TONS of homebrew or.... an INTERNET BROWSER! (can't that be achieved with purE already?) :)

Sausehuhn
24th July 2005, 11:20 AM
I like the fact that the european PSP will feature all teh updates from the start

Dogg Thang
24th July 2005, 11:46 AM
I quite like the white PSP! I might get that when more games start forcing firmware upgrades so I can play current games on that while keeping my black 1.0 version for homebrew.

Sausehuhn
24th July 2005, 12:07 PM
Maybe you can't see fingerprints on the white PSP as clear as you can see them on the shining-black PSP

Shem
24th July 2005, 12:07 PM
geez, why can't they do anything right? I don't know about you, but for me, a game console is something that has closed architecture and basicly no updates should be necessary. It all brings back some bad memories of XP Update Service ("patch the holes or the ship will sink"). I also cannot escape the thought, that there's something wrong with PSP's OS, since it was announced from the start that it will be available for updating. Well, at least this gives SONY an opportunity to progressively fight piracy on PSP.

Lance
24th July 2005, 12:43 PM
it was stated in an opinion article on ''ars technica'' yesterday that 2.0 will almost certainly eliminate the possibility of using the current hacking routines to browse through Pure, but on the other hand, is this a bad thing? the official browser would surely be faster and more powerful and more convenient, wouldn't it? and anyway, there will probably be new hacks possible.

the writer in the a t article said that there have been a lot of complaints about fingerprints being so obvious. while the white should help that a lot, i think it's just an additional choice, and therefore sales incentive, being given to potential buyers

Sven
24th July 2005, 08:13 PM
I am exstatic about this update. First of all the AAC support will finally let me play my iTunes Music Store songs (of which I have plenty), so I'm loving that. And also, the WPA WiFi support will maybe let me interface properly with my AirPort Basestation!

lunar
24th July 2005, 10:29 PM
the white PSP is minging, unfortunately. Now if I could have a purple Qirex-branded one to play online with I would be seriously interested.

I`m a bit nervous about the firmware upgrade.... having come across a few scare stories about it killing PSPs if it fails, and Sony putting sneaky region-locking into them. I`m fairly sure its old wives stuff but it bothers me a bit.

I`m not too bothered about the web-browser - generally u need to be near a computer to use it - might aswell just use the computer. So I can surf the net in Starbucks while enjoying a latte...... I`m trying to work up some enthusiasm about that but can`t really. :wink: The browser function in wipeout impresses people, and has helped me sell a few PSPs, but when most of these people think about what they would actually, practically use it for they struggle to come up with much apart from showing it to other people and continuing the impressing, "ooh thats clever isn`t it?" process.

poprock
25th July 2005, 07:51 AM
I'm all about the AAC support. No more worrying about which of my songs are MP3 and which are MP4 when picking tunes to transfer over.

I can actually picture myself using the browser every now and again - it's going to be good when travelling (don't always have my laptop wih me at the airport, but I do always have my PSP), and for when my girlfriend is using the computer, but I want to check something quickly online without taking the laptop out of her hands...

Ally Graham
27th July 2005, 09:18 AM
The update is cool, the browser works a dream, very fast.
Java works, you can also open new tabs.
Inputting text and addresses is not too easy though.

Theme setting allows you to change the colour manually of the background or add a wallpaper.

wirehang
27th July 2005, 09:46 AM
Will it play iTunes AAC out of the box?

matt

Ally Graham
27th July 2005, 10:20 AM
I would have thought so.
By the way, you can also save images on webpages also, how cool!

Ally Graham
27th July 2005, 10:29 AM
Sorry to double post, but I am logged in through my PSP!
I am typing on the PSP

eLhabib
27th July 2005, 10:54 AM
sweet! :pc

rejj
27th July 2005, 11:09 AM
Giving up emulation is a pretty big price to pay, though.... I may hold off on updating to 2.0 for now, I think. (I never went from 1.50 to 1.51 or 1.52, either)

Dogg Thang
27th July 2005, 11:19 AM
Yep, too large a price for me at the moment. I'm going to pick up one of those sweet white PSPs for the 2.0 goodness!

Ally Graham
27th July 2005, 12:18 PM
You can save anything to your PSP, so in theory you could download music from websites also.

Sausehuhn
27th July 2005, 12:24 PM
I read now, that the european PSP won't have the 2.0 update from the start. It has 1.52
The 2.0 will be available in October then :roll:

Hope it's wrong...

eLhabib
27th July 2005, 12:52 PM
seeing as the download works for EVERY psp, nobody has to wait for the 'official' release. I downloaded my ver.2.0 update today, from IGN. I have a US psp and it still works. no worries, mate.

Drakkenmensch
27th July 2005, 01:09 PM
Cool! I'll download it as soon as I get home after work :hyper

Sven
27th July 2005, 03:15 PM
Will it play iTunes AAC out of the box?Not for me...I could be doing something wrong though...

wirehang
27th July 2005, 03:21 PM
Neither does my Sony Ericsson mobile. :/

matt

syckls
27th July 2005, 03:51 PM
The ability to download stuff, not to mention save cache and cookies, is a great boon to those people who would fire up Pure and check their message boards, which is actually what I am doing now.

Sven
27th July 2005, 04:07 PM
Re: AAC music.

unprotected files can be played when their extension is changed to ".mp4." Protected (Music Store, .m4p) files cannot be played at all. Suxxor.

syckls
27th July 2005, 04:25 PM
Did somebody say illegal copy-protection-breaking-conversion software?

I'm kidding. It's just that I have sworn an oath to make fun of all McDonald's slogans ever made.

"I'm lovin' it... especially since they made a burger out of my significant other!"
"We love to see you smile... it means you're not here to sue us."
More material would be appreciated. I'm just one of those young whippersnappers who hasn't heard all the slogans.

defor
27th July 2005, 05:18 PM
Not sure who this should go to, and I understad it's off-topic slightly, but maybe someone from the wipeout pure team can pass this along to someone higher up in sony... There appeared to be no contact emails on Sony's JP PSP site to report bugs to (perhaps they think they're perfect :D)

I have updated to the 2.0 firmware, and everything works flawlessly except for one thing, Daylight Savings time's integration with the javascript default function Date() in the browser is completely nonexistant, and assumes that whatever system time is set, it is in Standard time, even if Daylight Saving's is enabled, thus breaking any function that generates GMT/UTC or ms from 1970.

I can write a patch library in javascript i can add to any page I make, but this will not solve the issue on further webpages using this function.

Megatron42
27th July 2005, 06:24 PM
*SNIFF* I don't want to give up my homebrew! :(

G'Kyl
27th July 2005, 07:07 PM
Megatron: However nice homebrew software maybe in times, most of it is about illegeal copies, so I'm with Sony. Let them use the new technology to protect their stuff when others do the same to spread illegeal software.

Ben

TMoney
27th July 2005, 08:54 PM
Anybody with instructions on how us English users can create a Japanese P-TV account ?? I want to check out these downloadable videos...

2.0 update is great so far, btw.

Sven
28th July 2005, 03:27 PM
*SNIFF* I don't want to give up my homebrew! :(32 megabytes was never enough to do a lot with homebrew anyway, so it's no loss to me. And I was only going to get a huge stick if my m4ps worked. Oh well.

Besides, if past systems are any indication (PlayStation NetYaroze, PS2 Linux Kit), Sony will probably put out a first-party solution to homebrew development eventually.

Drakkenmensch
28th July 2005, 03:44 PM
A nice little feature of 2.0 that hasn't received a lot of attention: you can now CHOOSE your background color rather than having one enforced on you randomly every month.

I love my dark blue :)

Hellfire_WZ
28th July 2005, 04:08 PM
I have just updated because of that! :lol:

djlucite
28th July 2005, 04:21 PM
A nice little feature of 2.0 that hasn't received a lot of attention: you can now CHOOSE your background color rather than having one enforced on you randomly every month.

I love my dark blue :)

Or you can use a custom bg picture as well...

but the blue one owns :P

lunar
29th July 2005, 01:20 PM
"Noob" question alert from someone scared of killing his PSP - I don`t have the "GAME" folder on my PSP, which IGN says you should copy the "Update" folder into. I only have "Savedata". Should I have this "Game" folder already, or can I create it myself?

wirehang
29th July 2005, 01:32 PM
located at //PSP/GAME isn't it?

Drakkenmensch
29th July 2005, 01:49 PM
chances are you may not have a GAME folder yet, just create one (in all capitals) and put the UPDATE folder into it. Now you can go to your OS menu and you'll have the PSP 2.0 update app listed under Games. Just make sure that your PSP has at least half charge before using it (I recommend 100% anyway just to be sure) and plug in your AC adapter to run the update. Don't unplug it while the update is occuring.

lunar
29th July 2005, 02:00 PM
thx Drak - :D

Anybody know if we can we delete the contents of the Update folder after its done its stuff, or does it have to stay on the mem stick? I haven`t been able to find this info anywhere.

Drakkenmensch
29th July 2005, 02:21 PM
Yes, you can delete it. The update folder only contains the update applet, and all the update content installed is done in places where you can't directly reach it in your PSP hardware - nothing is stored on your memory stick. Otherwise you'd return to OS 1.50 everytime you swapped memory sticks - a dream for homebrew hackers and an absolute nightmare for Sony.

lunar
29th July 2005, 02:32 PM
thx again Drak - in the light of your last sentence I guess I only needed to think it through properly. :wink:

Drakkenmensch
29th July 2005, 02:40 PM
No problemo. I found that the instructions online were a bit oddly worded in a few places, so I had to look around in several places to be certain I'd gotten it all right. Updating your OS is not like patching a game, you can't just reinstall if you screw up, because your PSP will have become an inert, inanimate 300$ doorstop.

lunar
29th July 2005, 02:53 PM
8O

that`s what I was scared of..... and seeing as my PSP is an illegal immigrant, a far-eastern rogue, a fugitive living a secret life beyond the law in the badlands of England, I need to be all the more careful. :wink:

Purist
29th July 2005, 02:56 PM
Anybody with instructions on how us English users can create a Japanese P-TV account ??...

Lookie HERE (http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0N1Q77RMWW8NN119OW3N58P9ZC) sir 8)

8O it's working now