PDA

View Full Version : Pirates crack Sony's PSP

Shem
10th May 2005, 01:41 PM
Yup, it was a matter of time actually.

Read HERE (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/05/06/psp_cracked/)

infoxicated
10th May 2005, 02:04 PM
It's a bit misleading to say it was hacked... more like, they've managed to rip the data off of a UMD. However, the PSP wont run the game off of the memory stick, and there are no UMD burners... so what they've got is an image of the game with no way of distributing it.

Hardly the onset of rampant piracy, is it? :)

Dogg Thang
10th May 2005, 02:10 PM
Nope it's not. It could lead to that but it's not that yet, luckily.

The positive to this is that PSP homebrew is already opening up which, in my mind, is a great thing.

Sausehuhn
10th May 2005, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I heard about that thing. So it's really possible to read a UMd with a normal CD/DVD drive?
Hey, maybe someone could do this with Pure and could check out if there are some files we could use (pics etc.) or make an extractor for some files (like someone did with Fusion (WipEout Fusion music xtractor) :D

Dogg Thang
10th May 2005, 03:58 PM
Already done. Apparently Pure was the first game that this was done with. Although it does bring up some interesting ideas like applying our own customisation that I'd love to discuss, it does also bring with it issues of piracy which I'd expect are a no-go area here.

To admins and mods - what can we discuss here?

Thruster2097
10th May 2005, 04:13 PM
Soundtracks for WOPurE and Ridge Racers have already been ripped and distributed on the web.

Some people really just will not care. :roll:

Anyway, the talk about customisation is very well and good, but as foxy says, there are no commercially available UMD burners.

yet.

Sausehuhn
10th May 2005, 04:24 PM
I did not mean how we could customize the game, I just thought we could try to extract the data on the UMD, so we would have some nice artworks and graphics :)

Thruster2097
10th May 2005, 04:30 PM
8O
err... maybe you can, I dunno.
I'm a bit boggled as to why you would want to, but thats just me being dumb.

Chill
10th May 2005, 04:41 PM
That would be nice. We all love to fill our eyes with Wipeout, and why not do this to have more to fill 'em with? :wink: And a fan site (other than this extraordinarly awesome one) won't have to copy pics off from this site, not that they won't, but that they won't have to. :lol:

Egg
11th May 2005, 06:52 PM
This works if you still have Firmware 1.0 --- and I'm not advocating hacking / piracy / blah blah, I just thought it was quite interesting:

http://handhelds.engadget.com/entry/1234000020042836/

... not a hoax, either.

Dogg Thang
11th May 2005, 07:07 PM
Yep, very interesting indeed! Not only does it work but, considering how soon it has appeared, it's very good and very easy. No sound and it's very slow but, from following the GBA emulator and home brew scene, how far this has come already is very impressive.

Like you Egg, I'm not going to advocate piracy (at least not in terms of current marketable games) but some stunning things came out of the GBA dev scene such as a (now legit) conversion of Another World, a perfect NES emulator, Game Gear emulator and many, many others. The thought of what might be possible on a PSP is thrilling.

Mobius
11th May 2005, 07:53 PM
F-zero on psp...

Tis not normal you know :dizzy

eLhabib
11th May 2005, 09:41 PM
now who the hell would wanna play a gameboy game on a PSP when they can play a PSP game instead?! :blarg

Chill
11th May 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm not very smart with the GBA or anything, but would it be possible to maximize the screen size? I know it would have low graphics, but it could still be better. :roll:

Dogg Thang
12th May 2005, 06:17 AM
Yeah, the screen I'm sure will get a scaling option later in development. It can't fit x2 but should be able to go around x1.5 or just over.

As for who would want to play emulators on their PSP - me, among others! I have almost a room of old dusty games for various systems. Some are good, some are great. To be able to play these on one handheld system is a very attractive concept! And with Gameboy games, the DS won't play them so, if I want to play a GB game, it's back to the GBA. Well, not of I can play them on my PSP.

There's also the secondary aspects like getting old games translated that were never released outside of Japan. Translation groups have done gamers a massive service by allowing us to enjoy games that we missed in the past.

Mano
12th May 2005, 06:24 AM
i dont think the psp is powerful enough to emulate a ps1 (even if its more powerful than a ps1 it needs a lot more power to emulate such a system) but if it were possible, imagine WipeoutXL portable....... 8O :D

Chill
12th May 2005, 06:27 AM
Ya, then we'd have all the Wipeout games that were made for the PS1, and that pretty much covers all the good ones. :o It's awesome to just imagine!! :D They'd have to remake the disks into smaller size though, what a hassel. But it would be worth it, for us anyway. :P

Dogg Thang
12th May 2005, 07:26 AM
It would be great but I'd have serious doubts about whether it would be possible. I reckon if it was done it would most likely be like Loopy's GBA SNES emulator - a fantastic show of coding skill but not ideal for actually playing. Probably very slow, glitchy, no sound etc. That's if it were even possible to get it running at all.

But then, that's why Sony should develop a WO PSP collection!

Edit: Well a SNES emulator is already in the works - http://www.ps2nfo.com/