PDA

View Full Version : Hypercube (4 gifs totalling 4491 kb)

Bob Todd
28th April 2005, 04:31 PM
Seriously, go and make some tea or something while these images load. It's not worth viewing the images until they're fully-loaded and looping properly.

I shan't patronise you by explaining what hypercubes are, as I'm sure you all already know.

This, obviously, is a 2D projection of a net folding into a 3D cube. Note the 2D projection below it.
Linkage (http://alem3d.obidos.org/i/cuberot/curcfo.gif).

Compare with this analog 3D projection of a tesseract folding into a 4D hypercube.
Linkage (http://alem3d.obidos.org/i/cuberot/curhfo.gif).

A cube rotating in perspective (left) and orthographic (right).
Linkage (http://alem3d.obidos.org/i/cubeice/cuicor.gif).

A rotating hypercube. Note that at one point the orthographic cube appears at one point to be two squares sliding past each other, and at one point the hypercube appears to be two cubes sliding past each other.
Linkage (http://alem3d.obidos.org/i/cubeice/cuihor.gif).
Headmash!

eLhabib
28th April 2005, 04:54 PM
if you will now tell me what the point of all this is, I will live happily ever after.

Bob Todd
28th April 2005, 04:56 PM
It's just cool, if you like this sort of thing. Have you read Hyperspace?

eLhabib
28th April 2005, 05:08 PM
no.
I have a strong aversion against the word 'hyper', too :D

Chill
28th April 2005, 05:58 PM
These are trippy. :wink: Esp. the last one. but I wouldn't really agonize over trying to reach the next dimension (and here come dimension to speak :lol: ), because I think of the next dimension as compressed energy, or the constant force of the need to move. Or it could be within that cube that had infolded on itself, like a black-hole. The sun eclapses on itself, and within the middle lies the 4th dimension. Who knows!! :roll: But it's sure trippy to think about. :wink:

Mobius
28th April 2005, 06:07 PM
The 4th dimension is time.

Groovy... 8)

Space Cowboy
28th April 2005, 06:10 PM
Im an Astrophysicst & I've also read 'Hyperspace' by Michio kaku.
Hypercubes are a 3d projection of the structure of higher dimensional spacetime. Because the primitive human mind only works in 3 dimensions, we can only percieve higher dimensions by using a 2d or 3d image representing a 'shadow' that their structure leaves in our 3d universe. :)

Lance
28th April 2005, 06:25 PM
the eleven dimensions postulated by string theory make representation even more problematic

Space Cowboy
28th April 2005, 06:27 PM
String Theory gets me well excited! Anythings possible, what a wonderful modern age we live in :D

Lance
28th April 2005, 06:34 PM
i'm pretty sure that i've switched to different parallel dimensions at least four times

Chill
28th April 2005, 06:41 PM
Time was also another thought I had. :wink: But what about something that could convert time? Let's take my compression as an example (I'm not trying to sound smart, I'm just kinda thinking out loud :wink: ), you have a force of movement stoped by the lack of space it has to move, thus having energy without draining it on movement to another location draining off a certain time which it takes to move (if this is hard to understand, I undersand why. It's hard for me to explain :wink: ). So, what is this? This force? It's energy. In order to burn it, we need to put it into the right state, give it time, and space/exhaust escape to do so. So, is it impossible to move when time is stopped? Not in the given info, but in reality. So, movement needs to be the 5th dimension in order for this type of measurement to fit with the reality of this world. You could be right, Mobius, but movement/density would need to be one ahead. Right? :roll:

JABBERJAW
28th April 2005, 06:44 PM
There is a movie called hypercube, it's a mediocre sequel to the movie "the cube", which was pretty good

Lion
12th May 2005, 04:27 PM
there's also a prequel, cube zero.
which has it's highs and lows

Manic
13th May 2005, 12:18 PM
Whaaat? Isn't there a bit of a !SPaem?! warning on all this?

"Always keep a hypercube up your ass, that's what I say." - excempt from The Advertising Slogan Generator.