PDA

View Full Version : Killer 7

Concept
27th April 2005, 09:28 AM
Anyone else anticipating this? I've just been watching the latest videos off IGN, and the game looks more and more insane each time I see more of it. I can't wait.

It looks like it's going to be a videogaming Sin City-styled experience, jazzed up in design mayhem.

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/649/649600/vids_1.html

Stunning.

eLhabib
27th April 2005, 11:20 AM
I have played a (beta-) version of it last week (my friends work at a videogame magazine), and I have to say I think it's utter crap. I thought this was gonna be a cool game, too, but they overdid it. Apart from me not liking the graphical style all that much, it is also pretty annoying to play, as the whole game consists of clips no longer than a couple of seconds, I don't really see the fun in playing it. It's more like a 'slightly' interactive movie than a game. And a badly directed movie, that is.

Concept
27th April 2005, 02:10 PM
To be honest, while I can understand your criticisms, I'm not sure I necessarily agree with them.

Killer 7 has never presented itself to be anything other than an interactive graphic adventure in the vein of Policenauts or Snatcher, so the critique levelled at its genre feels a little misplaced to me.

It's like nailing Silent Hill to the floor for not being Resident Evil.

Killer 7 is what it is, and in this era where to be successful games apparently have to be multi-faceted, it'll be interesting to see a title that harks back to more simplier days. Refreshing even... considering the style through which the experience is being delivered.

As for the artwork... that's partially what attracts me to the game. It's very distincitive. One main area of concern is that the voice acting sounds poor in parts during the trailers, but again, to use the film adaptation of Sin City as a comparison, I think Killer 7's dialogue may intentionally be cheesy to ham up that hard boiled insane noir-fueled atmosphere.

There's an interview with one of the developers on the IGN video list, where he states Killer 7 is bound to be a love it or loathe it experience, that divides a lot of people. There will be some who will get it, and then there will be those who won't.

The whole scenario reminds of the reaction to Shenmue.

Chill
27th April 2005, 03:07 PM
I saw tons of clips of this too!! :D It does have the most particular atmosphere to it, and a good one at that. :wink: I've always been going pack to it over and over again to just get that insane feel again. It feels a bit like an arcade game to me more than a realistic action shoot-up game, which helps it hold such of an atmosphere. I'm glad you've brought this up, concept. Though, where's killers 1-6? :roll:

Concept
27th April 2005, 03:55 PM
They're already there.

In the game Killer 7 centres around Harman Smith, a detective who suffers from schizophrenia and has seven unique personalities the player can alternate throughout the duration of the lifespan. You need to use these the special abilities each of these aspects have independently from one another to progress.

That's another aspect of Killer 7 that has me intrigued. Basically, it's an on-the-rails game with limited movement, where you're only allowed to choose left, right, up, and down, and in the intervening parts, allowed to enter a first-person viewpoint to engage in a shoot-em-up lightgun style experience, whilst also solving puzzles. That's where the adventure element comes in - from the menu system, character development changes, and also the (limited) mysteries that have to be solved.

It doesn't sound very interesting from the description, but the pop culture insanity and the sheer madness of the title looks as though its going to grip and blur the boundaries.

I think it's unfair to class KIller 7 as a game - if you treat it like that you're bound to be disappointed.

Instead, the title is a mixture of two different mediums. Think of what the Metal Gear Solid series has been fixated on (cinemamatically speaking), and that style of format bring brought to its logical conclusion. This is why I believe that people who are going to slaughter Killer 7 critically will probably do so for nailing the game in being something it was never meant to be.

Chill
27th April 2005, 04:03 PM
Ok, my question was answered. Though I still think of it as a game. Just a unique game. :wink: Not in anyway connected with any others. Except for mabye the other killer games. :roll:

phase 2
27th April 2005, 11:55 PM
This game looks awsome I was thinking of buying a GameCube just fore this game. Nintendo rarely makes mature themed games although I have never played the game it has definitly caught my eye.

Leftism
10th May 2005, 07:49 PM
Killer 7 is coming out for the PS2 isn't it?

Axel
10th May 2005, 07:55 PM
its out for both.

Leftism
11th May 2005, 10:14 PM
Just wondering cause Phase 2 mentioned considering to buy a Gamecube for it. :?