PDA

View Full Version : PSP USB Problems.

Wamdue
13th April 2005, 02:21 PM
So I got this usb data transfer cord for my PSP. I used it with my laptop this weekend extensively and it worked fine. All I had to do was connect the PSP to the computer with the USB cable and it got installed. However, Now I am trying to get it to connect to my stationary computer it just wont do it. I tried the plug n play way ( just connecting it and putting USB mode on on the PSP ).. It said it got an error trying to install the PSP, So I try every USB port I got, I tried uninstalling it and installing it with Add new hardware option in windows and still no dice, I even updated the USB drivers on my motherboard. ( My OS is win XP ).

Anyone else had this situation and know how to remedy it?

edit: Checking the properties tab on it I see this in Unit Status window:

This unit cannot be started ( Code 10 )

in swedish.

-- edit 2

So, I had another go of uninstalling / installing the device on all ports til I again tried the port that is listed as the number 1 usb port on my motherboard and voila.. It worked! If anyone else experiences this with their new psps, this might be the way to solve it.

Space Cowboy
13th April 2005, 09:32 PM
I'll bear that in mind :) I'll be doing alot of transfering tomorrow, as I'll be testing the psp's capabilities. If I get any USB probs i'll be sure to try your method. :)
I already have a USB cable for my NetMD, its the same size apparently, so I wonder if it will work with the psp?, well I'll find out tomorrow :)

gallipoli
13th April 2005, 10:32 PM
U have Windows XP? I didn't have to do any installing...

Wamdue
14th April 2005, 10:49 AM
Right, so I did fineally get it installed properly. Now however as soon as I try to transfer something to the PSP it disconnects from my computer.

Whenever I try to access the PSP from the My Computer folder ( its marked as E:\ right now ) it says:
--

E:\ is not available.

Request could not be executed because of an error in a I/O unit.

--

what the? what input output unit? Really, if someone is knowledgeable about computers help me out here. Got a train trip tomorrow and was hoping to watch a few movies on me psp :/

Task
14th April 2005, 03:01 PM
The "I/O unit" being talked about is either the USB port on your computer or the port on the PSP.

If you're looking for tech support, you're probably going to have to supply more information. For example, what OS are we talking here? One computer is XP, what's the other? Which one is which? The one that works, it still goes okay?

Wamdue
14th April 2005, 03:38 PM
Both computers got WinXP on with the latest service pack upgrades. The one it works on is a laptop. The one with problems is my gaming computer ( also where I got all my movies/music/etc ). Its not like it doesnt work at all, its just extremly dodgy. I managed to upload an mp3 to the PSP on from the stationary ( the one with problems ) but I always loose connection between the PSP and the computer when trying to transfer something bigger, and its plenty of space on the memory card so thats not it. Ive even tried different memory cards, also tried formatting them from the PSP. You know that little working indicator you get on your psp when you transfer files to it? the one on screen , some kind of line on the display going back and forth, that one is like fading in and out when trying to transfer, then it fades away completly and thats when I get "Connection Error" and "Request could not be executed because of an error in a I/O unit. ".

xEik
14th April 2005, 04:32 PM
How many devices have you connected to all your USB ports?
It could be a matter of lack of sufficient current. If you have many devices connected, try unplugging all those and connecting only the PSP for the transfer.

I might be wrong, though.

Wamdue
14th April 2005, 04:49 PM
The psp is the only device I got connected to it when I use it. I got an mp3 player that uses USB as well, it works A-ok with the stationary.

http://forum.liksang.com/showthread.php?t=2201

Seems Im not alone with the issue. I still dont know how to remedy this tho, I cannot belive that my computer lack the juice to power a USB2.0 connection.. Its not even a year old and pretty much got all high performance gear in it. Basically, if I read that lik-sang thread right, it should be the cable that cant handle it? or? The same cable works fine with the laptop so I have no idea. And since I am connecting to the USB ports that pretty much are on the motherboard, I cant see there would be a problem there either?

Eeek, help :)

def
14th April 2005, 08:40 PM
you might want to closely examine the usb cable your using. was it a special "psp" cable or just a regular USB standard A to USB mini-b. there are two types of usb mini-b standard cables around 4-pin and 5-pin. the difference isnt as obvious as it sounds, but if you look closely at the mini connector you can see the pins. It is qite a longshot that this is the problem but its definatley worth the examination. The psp only works wit 5pin mini-b cables. goodluck.

Space Cowboy
14th April 2005, 08:49 PM
It cant be a power issue. Im using a USB cable from my NetMD player, and it works sound, as for USB im not even on Hi-speed but the psp still connects no prbs.

Wamdue
14th April 2005, 08:55 PM
I am using a USB transfer cable that was specifically for the PSP. Its a third party product. Ive given up for now and is using my back up computer for transferring the files.. Its a hassle but will do til Sony releases a firmware update that takes care of this.

Btw, the Issue lies with USB 2.0. As my stationary has all USB 2.0 ports and it doesnt work. But my laptop and back up computer got USB 1.0 and it works fine with those.

Space Cowboy
14th April 2005, 09:03 PM
Ah, that would explain it. i am using USB 1 at the mo cos i havent installed the XP serivce packs.

Rapier Racer
14th April 2005, 09:06 PM
I’m getting a little concerned now as my PC has USB 2.0, I can get access to an older PC occasionally with USB 1.0 but it has no net connection so unless to can burn the updates onto a CD, when I get mine I’ll be screwed :cry:

def
14th April 2005, 09:18 PM
assegai: i dont think you have to worry, these must be obscure hardware or compatibility problems, i have USB 2 on my comp (onboard USB from ASUS A8N-SLI) and it works perfectly. none of my friends with usb2 have said anything either.

wamdue: hmm, the only other thing i can think of is the connections, make sure that the pins in the PC female port are ok and then open up the case and make sure all of the USB wires are attached securely. Its possibe a couple of the wires could be plugged in to the wrong pins on the motherboard but once again not very likely, check the manual for the case and motherboard to be sure. do the usb ports work with other stuff ok?

Wamdue
14th April 2005, 09:44 PM
The usb ports on my gaming rig works perfectly fine with other USB devices, it only does this with the PSP.
The motherboard Im using if anyone is interested is a ASUS K8V SE Deluxe