PDA

View Full Version : Are PSX's for sale?

Chill
10th April 2005, 03:16 AM
I've seen pics of the PSX (PS2/Xbox), but I don't when the heck they're gonna sell it. I would really like to buy one. Can anyone help me out on where to buy it, and if not, when to buy it? :(

rejj
10th April 2005, 03:24 AM
The PSX isn't a combo PS2/Xbox ... someone's been telling you fibs.
It is a PS2 with home theatre components - it has a DVD recorder and a hard disk, it will work as a PVR (record from TV, etc).

Sony sells them in Japan only, as far as I know - you should be able to buy one from any import electronics store..

def
10th April 2005, 03:25 AM
psx isnt really a ps2/xbox, its sonys try at an all in one home entertainment machine, it can play all the playstation games, as well as psp video (via memory stick slot). it has a 160gb or 250 harddrive so it can also function as a pvr. it can also burn dvds and do just about everything else but cook a steak. its actually set to release in japan on the 15th of this month, with an unconfirmed date in the us. they probably arent going to release it in europe. one thing worth noting is the price... ~$575 for base model ~$770 for the beefed up one. a bit to high for me >_<

edit: http://www.psx.sony.co.jp/

Chill
10th April 2005, 04:30 AM
Oh, darn!! :x Ok, that somebody certainly doesn't know what he's talking about!! Sorry about that. :oops: Hopefully this will help others. :? Why do they call it the PSX anyway? :roll:

Shem
10th April 2005, 07:41 AM
what the hell? isn't PSX the first, good 'ol grey model of Playstation? It must be!! I've been using 'PSX' term everytime i had the original Playstation model on my mind. I red about it in every magazine of its time, at least in Poland everyone reffers to the first models of Playstation as PSX!! Now, that's confusing now, but i'll stick to my way of naming the consoles :
PSX
PsOne
PS2
PSP
.....voilla!

EDIT - I just saw the link.....and i don't like the way japanese called that.....psx....thingie...., but we have to deal with it. period.

Hellfire_WZ
10th April 2005, 08:19 AM
PSX was the pre-release code name for the original Playstation. It was never the official name, but it just stuck for some reason. However it has been used as the official name for this model, so essentially this is the official PSX. I still think of the original Playstation though.

That's only how I understand it though, I could be wrong.

Dogg Thang
10th April 2005, 09:55 AM
Sony have already stopped production of these so I would reckon the chances of a US release are very slim. They seem to be a failed experiment to test the waters of integrated devices.

Egg
10th April 2005, 10:07 AM
The PSX story ( as I remember it ) :--

Sony began developing a CDROM drive for Nintendo's SNES - an attempt to match the Mega CD, I'd assume - and the device's working name was the PSX. When the Mega CD failed to make a huge impression (same old Megadrive games with added ropey FMV) the plan was abandoned and Sony was left with technology it eventually developed into the Playstation.

Among developers - and to a certain extent, the players - the PSX name stuck.

I could be wrong - I'm old, and my memory's a little fuzzy.

Dogg Thang
10th April 2005, 10:11 AM
Yep, that's exactly right Egg.

But to Sony the PS1, from release, was always just the PS so there was no reason not to use the name PSX for this machine.

Bob Todd
10th April 2005, 11:28 AM
The new PSX is so called because the X stands for both 'crossover' (X-over) and 'extreme'.

Lance
10th April 2005, 01:16 PM
i STILL call my old Playstation a PSX. but when i do, the more casual gamers don't know what i'm talking about

Thruster2097
10th April 2005, 07:24 PM
I can understand the confusion, I always refered to my playstation as the psx. It was just the name that everybody was using. Sony screwed it up by actually making a system aclled PSX. Silly buggers :lol:

It's definatley not going to be made for europe because our TV signal is incompatible with the PSX's tv inputs and the hard drive and dvd recorder.
I dont think its a great loss, I have my sky+ and I'm sure many americans have the tivo box.

Asche XL
11th April 2005, 01:50 AM
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20031007/sony02.jpg

There's a nice clear picture for you of the PSX.

Chill
11th April 2005, 04:17 AM
Ya, so you should see why I was a sucker for the PS2/Xbox thing!! It's a white box, and it's built in similar size as a PS2/Xbox (if they existed)!! :lol: