PDA

View Full Version : That's gotta hurt

The Boye
29th March 2005, 09:14 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4387045.stm

Rapier Racer
29th March 2005, 11:05 AM
ooer I hope this doesn’t have any drastic effects on Sony, IF SCE was to disappear I think that company would deserve a few letter bombs in the mail, :bombhead fitted with the vibrating parts form a duel shock as an extra little up yours

Hellfire_WZ
29th March 2005, 11:54 AM
I doubt it too much, this has been boiling over for three years now. What made me laugh is that they also threatened Microsoft as well, but they just gave them a paycheck to brush it under the carpet. Obviously they couldn't do the same to Nintendo as I believe they have their own patents on rumble technology.

Who are Immersion anyway? I'd never even heard of them until I read these articles, and I've certainly never heard of any of their products using rumble technology. :?

lunar
29th March 2005, 12:05 PM
sounds like a stich-up on Sony. I can see the idea of patents for new technological solutions like Dyson vacuum cleaners, anti-gravity systems or electric banana peelers, but it sounds like these immersion people only patented the idea of rumble packs, not the technology itself. Sony are well capable of developing a system to do that for themselves, surely. I`m not exactly a legal eagle though..... more of a sparrow actually.

nice little earner for Immersion anyway. I expect Sony will pull through.

Seek100
29th March 2005, 12:13 PM
They have a product that rumbles, so they're sueing everyone under the sun claiming they were the first to come up with it which I highly doubt. I think they claim the particular way Sony produce the vibration in the dual-shock is the same as whatever pile of crap this company makes.

As I understand it this has been going on for 3 years but why only that long? When did the first dual-shock appear on the market? If I were SCE I'd very quickly come up with a new dual-shock with nominally-altered tech and put as many patents in as many countries as is possible so as to ensure no further losses to these kind of jackarses who'll sue for more than 3 times their annual profits. :evil:

Hellfire_WZ
29th March 2005, 12:24 PM
If you're interested, here's Immersion's side of the story:

http://immr.client.shareholder.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=158652

Too many words for me to be bothered with, but see what you can make of it.