PDA

View Full Version : elite 4

Space Cowboy
23rd March 2005, 04:11 PM
has anyone here heard anything regarding the status of this game?, or een if its even being developed?
I know theres alot of elite fans on this site (me included) who would like to know.

Anybody out there hear anything?

infoxicated
23rd March 2005, 04:37 PM
Nothing - although I did see a job advert in MCV for Frontier (http://www.frontier.co.uk/) looking for programmers and it mentioned Elite 4.

I'd love to be playing it again, but it's been so long with so little news that there's little to be excited about. Add to the bugfest that was Dogs Life, and I'm not entirely confident that they can recapture their heyday. :|

Space Cowboy
23rd March 2005, 04:41 PM
Thats a real shame if they've gone that way :(
Frontier Elite & Wipeout series are my favs.

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 06:12 PM
Eiite was a fine game and Frontier almost perfect (even though this perception largely depends on what you're looking for in games). However, wih the amount of content and effort and money you need to put into modern games I somehow doubt Braben can pull off another Elite game with as little a team as he used to employ. But then you never know, and I for one will always keep up some little hope for another Elite. :)

Space Cowboy, if you are looking for a game as close to Elite as possible give X Beyond the Frontier as well as X2 a try. They offer a pretty good recreation of the Elite feel. There are also some similar games I have enjoyed MUCH over the last couple of years. To name just two, there are Independece War 2 (one of my all-time favourites! note the "2", though. part one is an equally enjoyable game but has little to do with space exploration, let alone trading) and HardWar (you're stuck on one planet here, but the economy system and the general freedom you have are fantastic). OK, sorry, but the space-sim-genre thing gets me started on things pretty easily. ;)

Ben

zargz
23rd March 2005, 08:56 PM
have you played freelancer?
check it out here > http://www.microsoft.com/games/freelancer/
never mind the microsoft part!! ;)
it's a great game .. didnt play it my self but saw my 2 bros play it
also on a LAN-party there were like 5 guys they went together from system to system doing missions to get money and upgrade their ships :D

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

G'Kyl
23rd March 2005, 09:16 PM
Freelancer.... I was so looking forward to it. That is, I was before MS crossed out the most interesting features announced during early development stages and turned the game into a mainstream product. I can't blame them, but it made Freelancer more a shooter than a space sim, which made it far less interesting to me. After its release I heard from people with a taste very much similar to mine how little they appreciate what came out of it and so stayed away from the game. Well, that's why I never played it. ;)

Ben

Axel
23rd March 2005, 09:29 PM
hmmm the space sim genre, I love it but it's dying TBH. But I really enjoyed Freespace and the Wingcommander series. God how I wished for someone to either revive them games, or create something like that with a solid multiplayer. If done, I can die happy :). Oh StarLancer was fun, multi player was whack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hellfire_WZ
23rd March 2005, 09:42 PM
I second X2: The Threat as the closest thing to Elite I've ever played. There's also X2: The Return expansion pack out now as well. Very complex, but very addictive once you get into it, especially with all the career choices and micromanagement of systems. And the capital ships just pwn all! :wink: