PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Decor

Rapier Racer
7th December 2004, 10:04 AM
Do we have any extremists? You know house packed with decorations and lights inside and out, big Santa on the roof (possibly one that sings) that kind of thing, or do you have someone in your area that does this? some folk go too far…

jospicy
7th December 2004, 11:38 AM
my mate has a 4ft santa outside his door that's way too far :xtree

infoxicated
7th December 2004, 12:13 PM
I don't think we'll be putting up any this year, as we'll be up in scotland with the family for the whole festive period - there's nothing worse than returning home in the new year to find you have to take all the decorations down. It's depressing, almost. :)

G'Kyl
7th December 2004, 02:21 PM
Which is why I and my family leave the decorations were they are until around mid-January. :) Gives a nice and warm atmosphere, and who cares for when Christmas ends if the shops call the end of October the begin of the official annual Christmas hunti... err, season.

Lance
7th December 2004, 02:46 PM
October?! what a bunch of slackers! the beginning of September is common here.

G'Kyl
7th December 2004, 02:52 PM
I like to ignore any notion of Christmas outside Christmas time - October is when you can't do that any more. ;)

infoxicated
7th December 2004, 04:27 PM
After last year we kind of forgot to take the tinsel off of one of the tall lamps in the living room. It spirals up from the base to the top, looks a bit pimp-esque, and it's still there now. Maybe each year we could just leave one more piece of decoration up and in ten years or so it could be xmas all year round. :)

Plus it would save us the effort of put up/take down each year. ;)

It's Christmas Eve. It's-it's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we-we-we smile a little easier, we-w-w-we-we-we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year we are the people that we always hoped we would be.

Lance
7th December 2004, 07:31 PM
exactly. the people we hoped we would be. i'm getting a little better at it than i used to be in the rest of the year. but not fully there. it helps that i'm not working for a corporation any more. when you do work for one, it's really hard to be who you ought to be

Rapier Racer
7th December 2004, 09:32 PM
October?! what a bunch of slackers! the beginning of September is common here.

awww noooooooooo! here they started the Christmas advertising about mid September that just too early, it really annoys me, their going to spoil it, they will keep getting earlier and earlier each year then in July you'll be hearing "Boxing day sales now on" :(

ha at least retailers are reporting a decrease in sales felt better after hearing that

Lance
7th December 2004, 10:59 PM
they've already ruined it here. when i was a widdle kid, no one had any Christmas merchandise on the shelves till the day after Thanksgiving, the last Thursday in November. this year, one of my friendly greedy asinine local outlets of a national retail chain had Christmas merchandise on the shelves in mid-August. no human spirit or judgement was involved, just a spreadsheet calculation to minimise effort and maximise profit. the whole marketing process when carried out over such a long period reduces all specialness and emotional intensity of a once-a-year event to near zero

edit: i forgot to mention the ''Christmas In July'' sales that begin television advertising in late June or early July just before the sale date.

infoxicated
8th December 2004, 07:35 AM
Well, just shows how wrong you can be. Last night I went to the gym for an hour, and when I got back Fliss had put up decorations! :)

It would look quite festive, but she couldn't find the lights for the xmas tree, so it looks a bit drab at the moment. Ah well, I guess it wouldn't be the same without them.

Hellfire_WZ
8th December 2004, 08:05 AM
Thankfully, we've only got a small Christmas tree in here, but there's still no room to put it anywhere. Last year we had the bright idea of putting it on the computer table in the corner. Would have worked, but have you tried using a computer with a tree sitting on your head? :xtree :|

jospicy
8th December 2004, 08:52 AM
unfortunatly cos it's m,y brothers birthday on 20th my decorations don't go up till then which is a bit of a bummer, but even worse i don't finish school till 23rd :( no christmas fun till then. another info systems class well spent :lol: you guys are my savior

element42
8th December 2004, 09:23 AM
but have you tried using a computer with a tree sitting on your head? :xtree :|
yes.

Rapier Racer
8th December 2004, 10:41 AM
Thankfully, we've only got a small Christmas tree in here, but there's still no room to put it anywhere.

have you tried hanging it from the roof on a very thin peice of string that's liable to snap? you could watch it swaying gently in the wind before it breaks off

Mobius
8th December 2004, 06:37 PM
christmas trees? where?

Dimension
12th December 2004, 12:12 PM
well, really it doesn't matter to me when they start advertising, i've still not done my christmas shopping :P

Rapier Racer
12th December 2004, 08:11 PM
cutting it a bit fine aren't you? we went up to Fort Kinnaird (big retail park with shops all the colours of the rainbow) and you should have seen all them cars 8O could hardly find a space, there was also this chap in a bright orange coat, standing at the entrance waving his arms about for some reason

Dimension
12th December 2004, 11:23 PM
there was also this chap in a bright orange coat, standing at the entrance waving his arms about for some reason

Obviously a case of the old christmas spirit(s) :D

xEik
13th December 2004, 10:49 AM
I've long been on the Scrooge side. :twisted:
Besides, did you know that in Spain it used to be the Three Wise Men who brought presents to children on the 6th of January.
They are being substituted by Santa because receiving presents on the 25th gives children more time to play before the holidays are over. Damn the fatso. :evil:

:P

Rapier Racer
13th December 2004, 01:32 PM
Right I thought that Santa was supposed to bring all the presents for the children in his magical flying thing. so what's with these train lights on the outside of peoples houses? Have you ever heard of the christmas train?

RUS
13th December 2004, 02:43 PM
In Russia cristmas only January 7, and Santa is called Ded Moroz.

Lance
13th December 2004, 03:35 PM
hi Alex, welcome to the forums. :)

what is the literal translation of 'Ded Moroz'?

RUS
14th December 2004, 04:16 AM
It isn't literary translation.
It is verbatim translated as Frost Grandparent or Frost Oldster.

Lance
14th December 2004, 09:24 PM
thanks. :)

in english, ''literal translation'' means word by word direct meaning. that's what you gave me.

hm... Grandfather Frost? good name.

G'Kyl
14th December 2004, 09:32 PM
Gets even better in German where we have use the diminutive of "grandfather". :) Dunno whether this is known in West Germany, though.

Anastasia
14th December 2004, 11:41 PM
Hi guys, It's kinda freaky here in York... we've been mobbed by 8 foot inflatable snowmen. The damn things are everywhere (except my house!) though hubby is sobbing 'cos he really wants one to scare the neighbours! There are a fair few houses around that have lights plastered everywhere, and I'm talking everywhere. I bet they'll get a surprise when the lecky bill arrives!

As for us, we have a few coloured lights in the shrubs each side of the front door and traditional Christmas tree inside with Christmas stockings under the mantle piece and a holly wreath suspended from the mirror. I guess we're pretty festive. Just got Christmas Dinner for eleven to worry about now :o

Ana

Dimension
14th December 2004, 11:50 PM
i have a chistmas tree with presents under it... yup, just a christmas tree :roll:

RUS
15th December 2004, 04:14 AM
Lance, thank you for explanations.

Lance
15th December 2004, 01:42 PM
you're welcome.

i wouldn't even be able to understand any explanations someone told me in Russian. i am language-poor, unlike several of our members who can speak or at least write two or more languages. an admirable skill