PDA

View Full Version : Look...just drop it would you?

Mobius
5th December 2004, 05:52 PM
Hi again

this might some like deja vu to some - this topic has came up before...

today there has been some summit on violence in games in the uk - don't know about over the pond or anywhere else for that matter.

It is really just annoying me - they are making a big thing of this and its just really annoying me. I really don't know how to explain it but anyone else here probably could do better. Basically they want to make buyers more aware about the violence factor in games (i think a swanking big red 18 in the corner already does the job but what do i know?) If is such a big problem why the hell do parent buy the games? If it was a film they would check the cert on this but not on games and they are making sound like the route of all evil... a fact is the community of gamers avarage age is 26 buti think all games have been stereotyped....anyway most of the violent games (the suffering and manhunt mainly) resemble dog poo to be honest.

anyone else have a viewpoint on this?

Shem
5th December 2004, 06:42 PM
You're right, they should have dropped it a long time ago. Aproximately at the point when the statistics showed that the amount of crimes (all sort of) commited by those who were 'under game's influence' was ridiculously low. If compared to any other type of crimes that is. Becouse that's what the point is. To prove that games have a negative effect on young people's minds. It is the easiest way - to blame games. I don't know why people still don't listen, and don't try to at least look at the other side - the proper upbringing, parent's care about a child, kid's friends, namely any other, and reasonable aspect that makes a person to commit a crime. God, that talk is on for ages. The worst thing is that people don't listen, and the talk is getting us nowhere. Us all. That's my opinion.

Rapier Racer
5th December 2004, 06:50 PM
I read somewhere that when the games rating system was introduced, games displaying an 18 certificate saw an increase in sales (games that were already available before the system came into play that is) so, informing people even more so could have a similar effect, certian games may get a reputation for being quite violent and then younger games will be even more determined to get thier hands on it

G'Kyl
5th December 2004, 07:23 PM
You`re damn right, Shem. They should stop blaming games to no effect and start throwing some light of reason on what games and violence in games is about. Only I'm afraid hysteria sells much better than common sense, which is why the media pick on that subject whenever they see the chance. And since the media are even more influencial than hysterics...

today there has been some summit on violence in games in the uk - don't know about over the pond or anywhere else for that matter.

As far as I know, Germany among the most restrictive countries when it comes to violence in games and movies. So we know all about that sort of bating. On a side note, Germany is also one of the least restrictive countries in terms of depicted sexuality - something I would exchange in an instant.

Basically they want to make buyers more aware about the violence factor in games (i think a swanking big red 18 in the corner already does the job but what do i know?) If is such a big problem why the hell do parent buy the games?

As long as they would stop censoring violent content, I'm OK with this.
Parents buy stuff for kids. And that stuff simply being what their offspring cries for is why sensitizing them for what GTA and Doom actually deliver can't be that bad an idea. It's a new media and grow-ups are less amenable to it, which is why they need a helping hand. What bothers me instead is that there is this polemized formula of violence=bad/take your hands off it/certain to make you a serial killer. A more reasonable differentiation would do everyone some good here.

And then there is something gamers like to forget, which is that WE grew up with violent (and other) games and so are quite used to the kinds of cruelties they bring on screen. And even though most of us still realize how violent they might be, it doesn't bother us. But it bothers others - those who are not aquainted with that sort of content. And who says their opinion is wrong while ours is right? They simply might not want to bring up their kids in the way we got lost on the road. ;-)

If it was a film they would check the cert on this but not on games

Quite right. But I assume that as soon as games become more accepted as a "bona fide" part of our culture(s), the need for that kind of information will disappear - and massive warning stickers with it.

The bottom line, I guess, is that more reasonable information is badly needed and that much of the less irrational criticism needs to be taken care of. However, as far as I have heard - and you do hear a lot about it where I live ;) - gamers also should understand that violence is not a good thing per se (to say the least) and that it does not belong into the hands of children.

Ben

EDIT (too many people posting too fast ;) ):

[...] informing people even more so could have a similar effect, certian games may get a reputation for being quite violent and then younger games will be even more determined to get thier hands on it

Yep. Which is why you must deal with the subject in a calm and educating way. This should certainly steal "violence hunters" their thunder. ;)

piranha wiper
5th December 2004, 10:32 PM
assegai devolpments said
, games displaying an 18 certificate saw an increase in sales indeed they will have been, because its like anything else that has an age restriction to it or something that is illegal (for the sake of argument drugs) people take them for the buzz of being cought and having the affects of the taken substance, its because of the age restriction that people are buying the games to see if they can actualy buy it and prove to their mates they can buy it or watever and it may be a bit more interesting compared to the games they are actualy can buy which are wierd games that only kids can buy, it nearly happened on metal gear solid 2 because of the 911 disater and the setting of the tanker mission it was set in new york so the date was nearly set back and it is a 15 and was nearly an 18, its up to the cashier to check the ages of the buyer and the parents to keep them away from those kind of games.

Hellfire_WZ
6th December 2004, 04:34 PM
I've just run a search on "violent video games" on Yahoo, and I have to say I can't believe some of the absolute pig-headed rubbish being spouted by some people. Read this for example in regards to GTA Vice City:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/grandtheftautovicecity/news_6086997.html

A lot of GameFAQs users emailed this guy in response to this, each giving fully valid points as to how he was talking complete rubbish. The only response he could muster was words to the effect of "get lost". Wonderful argument on his side then.

What a lot of people fail to realise with regards to these isolated cases of supposed "game-related" murders is that the number of these incidents compared to the total number of people who actually play these games is infinitessimaly small. Surely if there was any truth in the correlation between violent behaviour and violent games, we'd have a planet full of mass murderers. The bottom line is that these sort of games have age restrictions for a reason.

people take them for the buzz of being cought and having the affects of the taken substance, its because of the age restriction that people are buying the games to see if they can actualy buy it and prove to their mates they can buy it

Then in this case, as you say, responsibility falls on the supplier. Sales assistants in any place that sells age restricted products are required by law to ask for proof of age from anyone they have doubts about. And if it's an online sale, then it's the parents who need to keep an eye on their kids' online activities. This goes to both extremes though. While I have seen clearly underage kids buying 18-rated stuff, I was asked for ID to buy 15-rated Max Payne... when I was 17. I think the school uniform may have been a mistake. :wink:

Approximately at the point when the statistics showed that the amount of crimes (all sort of) commited by those who were 'under game's influence' was ridiculously low. If compared to any other type of crimes that is. Becouse that's what the point is. To prove that games have a negative effect on young people's minds. It is the easiest way - to blame games.

This is the point most of these so-called psychological researchers fail to see. They find results in one or two isolated cases that support their theory and publish them claiming that it applies to everyone, and all of these silly groups that set out to ban violent games take this as gospel.

Obviously games that sell purely on the violence factor aren't really appropriate, but when it's simply another part of a potentially good game, people realy do need to back off.

Rapier Racer
6th December 2004, 05:44 PM
Oh no not another one, these really get on my nerves, after playing a violent video game I don't at all have the urge to go do something violent, however after reading an article like that the violent urge 'o' meter tends to go off the chart :x :x :x :evil:

Rapier Racer
17th December 2004, 03:51 PM
haha take a look at this

http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/drted.htm