PDA

View Full Version : John Peel

Lance
27th October 2004, 02:17 AM
i just heard that John Peel, the man who did so much to promote ''alternative music'' died of a heart attack in Peru on vacation. Requiescat in Pace. even though i never heard his program, i owe him a lot.

Damon
27th October 2004, 03:58 PM
It's really sad Lance - heartbreaking in fact. But there are some beautiful tributes on the BBC website - particularly this half hour Radio 4 arts programme that was broadcast on Tuesday evening.

It's definitely worth a listen, particularly if you never actually heard his show. It'll sum him up very nicely, and bring a tear to the eye too.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/frontrow_20041026.shtml?rhppromo1

stin
27th October 2004, 04:06 PM
He will be very sorely missed!! :cry: Awesome DJ and he is sixty-five.

stevie

Lance
27th October 2004, 04:29 PM
Damon, i hope my dial-up will let me listen to the audio files they have listed there. i shall certainly try them; thanks for the link.
i heard a brief comment by Mr. Peel on the radio report yesterday in which he said how lucky he was to have had the sort of life he had.

lucky for us, too

Reuben
27th October 2004, 05:37 PM
he will be greatly missed, especially 2 the hardcore , hard dance scene, coz he contributed soo much to it.

infoxicated
27th October 2004, 09:24 PM
he will be greatly missed, especially 2 the hardcore , hard dance scene, coz he contributed soo much to it. :?

piranha wiper
27th October 2004, 11:46 PM
to you Mr peel :coffee for the radio will not be the same

Rapier Racer
31st October 2004, 03:55 PM
The highly reliable and informative :wink: dail star claims he had a 15 year old wife, is that true or just utter rubbish?

Lance
1st November 2004, 10:40 AM
bigamy? i doubt it

Damon, i watched the ''datsuns'' interview. that seemed to capture the man very well. forthrightness, integrity, passion, persistence, graciousness, love of family, love of music, red wine and all

Damon
1st November 2004, 10:41 AM
The highly reliable and informative :wink: dail star claims he had a 15 year old wife, is that true or just utter rubbish?

I think there is some truth in this actually. He lived and worked in the States - Texas I think - in the early sixties, and he was married for a short time to a 15 year old. However, this was legal in the state in which he lived.

I think he did find that young girls were flinging themselves at him during this period. After all, his career was famously helped on its way by the fact that he came from Wirral, near Liverpool, and in the midst of mass Beatlemania in the States, his perceived Liverpool connections made him eminently employable.

All this was well before he ever appeared on British radio.