PDA

View Full Version : Haikus! Yay!

Bob Todd
8th September 2004, 11:29 AM
Haikus (three lines, 5-7-5 syllables) are such fun to write. Here are some I made:

Dante is lovely
Unfortunately for me
He does not exist

Happy little dove
How do you manage to fly?
No! Don't **** on me!

Hello little cat
Stay so very very still...
Ha ha ha! GOTCHA!

I am a nice duck
I go quack quack quack quack quack
Shoot me you ****er

I once had a fork
But it did look like a spoon
Was this at all wrong?

When I hear 'Gotty'
I think of his name, which is
Also called Gotty

Dante, your hair's white
Like pigeon **** and snowflakes
But not Battenburg

Anna should be God
At least Dictator of Earth
She is that woo yay

For thirty-two years
I have not once had a ****
Now I will explode

Travis smells of cum
He does not smell nice at all
Poor smelly Travis

Oi! The Prodigy!
Outgunned was well overdue
Don't do that again

xEik
8th September 2004, 02:22 PM
I think I'll stick to a classic, the favourite of one of my friends.

Tsurigane ni
tomarite nemuru
kocho kana

Bob Todd
8th September 2004, 02:40 PM
That sounds pretty when spoken aloud. What does it mean?

xEik
8th September 2004, 02:57 PM
It's Japanese for
'Perched upon the temple-bell, the butterfly sleeps'

Lance
8th September 2004, 03:09 PM
Anna, these are not actually haiku. the syllable number and pattern are only two of several standards for the form, which also involves subject, philosophy, and a standardised mood for the last line, which must be a commentary on the first two lines.
i am of course just being picky, since the syllable and line form is fun to play with and i wouldn't discourage anyone from doing so. it just ain't haiku is all i'm saying. on some of yours, you do get the shift in mood as a sort of punchline, though it isn't a haiku mood. anyway, carry on! :)

Bob Todd
8th September 2004, 04:24 PM
Does
I once had a fork
But it did look like a spoon
Was this at all wrong?
count?

That's really pretty, Xeik. I may have to steal it. EDIT: I just realised that the last line is only 4 syllables. Hmmm...

Lance
8th September 2004, 06:27 PM
:) well, no. all haiku are nature poems. but don't let that stop you

piranha wiper
8th September 2004, 08:20 PM
well i know these are not haikus (possibly the first one) but they are very true and i found quite intersting

1. Saru mo ki kara ochiru, even monkeys fall out trees, why i like it; because this means even experts can make mistakes, we can all be good wipeout and have a good game but some times we crash or get blown up when we could have been in the pit lane,

and 2. Onna sannin yoreba kashimashii, if three women visit, noisy, very true indeed.

and one that my iaido teacher told me that i thought was good i dont what it is in japanese,
If you have to resort to violence then you have already lost the battle, i find this true because i find my self battering my controller about if i lose continously, like Roger :wink:

and now a haiku by Yosa Buson,
At the over-matured sushi,
The Master
Is full of regret

full of stink more like :lol:

bob tod, can i ask why you started this topic and

Oi! The Prodigy!
Outgunned was well overdue Don't do that again
come on he needed time but he made amends for a descent CD

xEik
8th September 2004, 10:07 PM
That's really pretty, Xeik. I may have to steal it. EDIT: I just realised that the last line is only 4 syllables. Hmmm...
"kocho" is in fact "kochou" but since the "u" is used to make the "cho" sound longer, it's often romanized (put into Latin characters) as kocho instead of kochou (the later wouldn't be the correct pronunciation).

Haikus must include an allusion to one of the four seasons. In this case the butterfly symbolizes spring. In others, snow can be an allusion to winter.

BTW the Haiku I posted is by Buson http://www.nime.ac.jp/~saga/sekka1.html

Hyper Shadow
8th September 2004, 11:09 PM
Each Haiku must contain a kigo, a season word, which indicate in which season the Haiku is set. For example, cherry blossoms indicate spring, snow indicate winter, and mosquitoes indicate summer, but the season word isn't always that obvious.

Please notice that Haiku-poems are written under different rules and in many languages. For translated Haiku-poems, the translator must decide whether he should obey the rules strictly, or if he should present the exact essence of the Haiku. For Haiku-poems originally written in english, the poet should be more careful. These are the difficulties, and the pleasure of Haiku.

I took this off a website which expalians a little about writing Haiku, I hope it helps you in your quest :D

Roger
9th September 2004, 07:34 AM
Check this out: Gangstahaiku.com (http://www.gangstahaiku.com/)

Examples:

Presidents and kings
lean in as I whisper things
then they kiss my ring

Got my new domain
head-nigga-in-charge.com
'cause that's me, ya see

custom ducati
high speed chase, cops up on me
afro all blurred G

gain, not really haiku, but interesting nonetheless...

Bob Todd
9th September 2004, 07:47 AM
I heard a Beavis & Butthead haiku once:

Cherry tree on fire
Ev'ry blossom was aflame
Uh, here come the cops.

Thruster2097
9th September 2004, 02:02 PM
:lol: :lol: :D

I dont know why I liked that so much, but I did!
I guess I miss beavis and butthead. huh huh h-h-h-huh huh huh huh h-h-huh huh!