PDA

View Full Version : Sony QRIO Robot

yuusen
27th August 2004, 05:39 PM

Taken from 'QRIO's Story' on the Sony Global site:

It is the product of cutting edge artificial intelligence and dynamics technology.
An entertainment robot that lives with you, makes life fun, makes you happy. Its name is QRIO. QRIO can gather information and move around on its own accord. QRIO not only walks on two legs, it can also manage uneven surfaces, dance, recognize people's faces and voices, and carry on conversation. QRIO is eager to be friends with people. Even among robots, QRIO's capabilities are unique. As well as walking on two legs, if QRIO does lose its balance, it reacts to protect itself against the impact. And after it falls, QRIO checks front, back, left and right, and gets back up, by itself. Its intellectual capabilities allow QRIO to distinguish people's faces and voices. And QRIO can communicate with people based on its own judgments, expressing its feelings through movements, conversation, and the use of its lights. Until a decade ago, the word 'robot' was associated primarily with industry. Having robots perform tasks in place of humans is 'helpful', but wouldn't it be 'fun' if people and robots could not only work together, but live together too? SONY decided to create a 'partner' that talks to you, plays with you, encourages you. And inside this small body, lives the same frontline technology and wealth of knowledge that fostered the development of SONY products like the HANDYCAM and WALKMAN. QRIO's dreams are limitless. But one is clear to make your life fun and happy. For example, QRIO uses body language and words to convey a feeling of intimacy; QRIO can connect to the Internet and share the kind of information you like to hear. As the world becomes progressively more complex, we thought how wonderful it would be to have a navigator that gently changes with the times. What is more, the results of such research on robots is sure to pave the way for Sony to create even more innovative IT-based products, and new concepts in the future.

The artificial intelligence concept is here in its traditional format. The original idea of living with robots that resemble humans has been theorised so many times in the past -- it will be very interesting to see what happens in practice.

Check out QRIO's movies through the following link:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/QRIO/videoclip/index_nf.html

¥

Shem
27th August 2004, 08:11 PM
I was so curious abot this QRIO robot, that I red everything about it, watched every movie available....and I'm not so excited, really. Maybe it's becouse of the commercials. They didn't convince me about QRIO being so special. But at least I had a laugh a few times (QIRO throwing a ball, kicking a ball, QIRO pushed by an elephant, and QIRO saying loads of crap about trees and dreams [ :robot ]). Well, anyway, that robot looks really good. It moves good (apart standing up, but I think SONY is working on it), it speaks good, and if I'd be naive enough, I would belive the things it says are the things the robot creates on its own. But I'm not, and lines like "I feel curiocity" just don't work on me, sorry.
The other thing is - who can afford that kind of expensive toy? It was the same with AIBO....1000$ each (if I'm not mistaken). I think QIRO should speak other languages than japanese (duh...). I'd love to say to my QIRO sth like : No to mały blaszaku, skocz mi po fajki do sklepu. And he'd understand and would have gone for the ciggies to a shop.
A nice expensive toy for japanese oldies who are sick of having 10 cats in their house.

piranha wiper
28th August 2004, 02:18 PM
shem said
No to mały blaszaku, skocz mi po fajki do sklepu. And he'd understand and would have gone for the ciggies to a shop.

is this polish? i quite like it for it to understand japanese, would give me a chance to practice a bit

what happened to asimo anyway that was the guy who was walkin on 2 legs before QIRO, he looked like an astronought :lol: