PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Disk Read Error

Mobius
25th August 2004, 11:53 AM
Hey!

As there is lads of people on the forum i guess there will some of you out there who have the dreaded disk read error (or just painful sounding noises coming from you ps2) when you put in a cd-rom (audio cd's, ps1 and blue ps2 games) everyone says you should adjust the wheel on the laser spool to fix it up but it didnt work at all.

anyone else got an idea because im not spending 50 quid ona new laser (my ps2 has the most expensive one, so much for value for money...)

George

Rapier Racer
26th August 2004, 01:37 PM
I heard a roumour whitch says that you can get the disk read error fixed free of charge, but this may be pure speculation soooo.. you'd have to investigate

Lumpster
16th September 2004, 10:25 PM
I fixed my mates' PS2 which had a disk read error. The white wheel, which sets the height of the disk surface above the laser, needs to be adjusted to about half way.
Try a few settings around the half way mark, if it still doesn't work your PS2 is probably f*kd.

DaMiGi63
2nd October 2004, 02:18 AM
I used a one of those disk type DVD cleaners in mine and I do regular maintenance on it like once every two weeks with it and I have no errors 8) ,if I do get an error of some kind :? ,then I'll use the wet style cleaner ,then the brush version and ,I'm back in business :D

Piranha Advancements
2nd October 2004, 07:34 PM
Call Sony,tell your DRE problems,send it to em and they'll repair for free.However,there are cases where upon receiving after you send it for repair,they might cite other problems eg.damage incurred while shipping/other problems indirectly caused to your PS2 and might not be able to repair it.

If it's DREs,just call Sony.If you dont want repairs,there's a DRE Faq at Gamefaqs although you should really know what youre doing if you attempting it.

Or just get new PS2s..

Mobius
4th October 2004, 03:54 PM
i opened it up...damn

looks pretty cool in there it is just like building a pc i guess.

(lightbulb moment!)

what is the wet clean thing DaMiGi63 was talking about - i know i should've quoted it but i can be bothered

George

DaMiGi63
4th October 2004, 07:58 PM
Dang,now i started something :P ,the thingy "was" made by Discwasher,I got it when I got my first cd player and it worked great in cleaning it and I had no probs with the player until it eventually went belly up on me(the laser went kaput) :x and I kept the cleaner ,so I still use it :wink:, I don't know if Discwasher even makes it anymore :? ,all it basically is ,is a disk with a very small pad holder thats inserted on one section of the disk where you apply a small drop of solution to it ,then you put the disk in and let it run for like a minute or so,then remove the disk,like I said in my previous post,I do use the brush cleaner too,so the PS 2 stays running pretty well :D also,get a can of compressed air and spray the vents,it helps :wink: 8)

here's a link,just found it--->>>>DISCWASHER 1503 Wet/Dry DVD Laser Lens Cleaner at Epinions.com ,this looks like a new and improved version of what I have and it's fairly inexpensive to boot 8) ,I might get one :D

vh5150
3rd November 2004, 01:01 AM
I heard a roumour whitch says that you can get the disk read error fixed free of charge, but this may be pure speculation soooo.. you'd have to investigate

I am an original version 1 PS2 owner that bought 2 PS2's on it's launch date and had to send in one for the DRE problem.

Sony is offering a free of charge repair service for the DRE. It is part of a class action lawsuit that they lost. http://www.gttlawyers.com/class_playstation.htm

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/playstation2_sony_repair.txt