PDA

View Full Version : A small hardware question

Rapier Racer
11th August 2004, 11:13 PM
You folks here seem to know about your hardware so can you tell me if this device is internal or external? Thank you please.

It's the USB 2.0 HUB at the bottom of the page.

http://www.aktivdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_COMPUTER_ACCESSORIES_49.html

piranha wiper
11th August 2004, 11:22 PM
by judging at the appearence of the usb multiple thing, it has to be an external, were as internals look more chipboardy and dont need much nice looks to it coz it wont be seen coz er its internal

infoxicated
12th August 2004, 08:36 AM
Yeah, that's an external USB hub.

Rapier Racer
12th August 2004, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys I needed to be sure.

Hellfire_WZ
12th August 2004, 02:54 PM
I've actually got a hardware issue as well, maybe it's better to post here than start a new topic. It's to do with power supply units. My current PSU is an SFX model, designed for mini-towers, and as such they don't go much above 300W. The thing is, I'm looking to get a new graphics card that requires a 300W PSU as its absolute minimum, and I'm a bit stumped as my chassis is too small to house a standard ATX PSU. Could I get a larger chassis that would have the physical room for an ATX PSU, and then transfer everything from the old chassis to the new one, with a new PSU? I'm just a little concerned in case SFX and ATX units aren't interchangeable and I end up blowing something up. :-?

G'Kyl
12th August 2004, 04:53 PM
You won't blow anything up :), but as far as I remember you will need a new motherboard, since older boards didn't fit into ATX towers.

Ben

Hellfire_WZ
12th August 2004, 06:19 PM
Uhhh... that's something I was dreading to hear.... I'm still pretty much a novice when it comes to the insides of a computer, so I was kinda hoping to leave as much plugged into the motherboard as possible. Ah well, if it needs changing, it'll have to change I guess. It does have a 20-pin ATX socket, so it might still be OK with any luck. Thanks a lot. :wink:

G'Kyl
12th August 2004, 06:31 PM
You will have to remove most of what's on your board anyway when moving it into another case (or at least I would strongly recommend so for safety reasons). Be sure to consult your board's manual before doing so, most of what you need to know should be explained there (except, of course, that the manual mostly speaks of plugging stuff ONto your board, not the other way around, but you should get the general idea from reading that :) ). If you don't have the manual any more, download it from the net. Or any other, for that matter, since the general process of putting things on and off a mainboard is about the same for any model.

Ben

Hellfire_WZ
13th August 2004, 11:39 AM
That's great, cheers. :)