PDA

View Full Version : Playstation on computer flatscreen?

FSOL
29th July 2004, 10:53 PM
Hello!

I'm planning to buy a Playstation 2 in order to be able to play all games of the Wipeout trilogy.
However I don't have a TV neither do I have enough money to buy a TV, so I am left to use the flat screen of my computer (monitor: TFT Flat Screen LG L1511S).

Does anyone of you have any experience with playing Playstation on a computer with flat screen? (How about image quality / resolution?)
Is it possible? I've got a NVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 graphic card (a bit dated). Is it enough or do I need to buy a TV card in order to play Playstation games on my computer?
If that's the case, could you recommend me a cheap TV card that allows me to play with the Playstation on my computer (and is available in Europe/Germany)?

Thanks for your answers!

Rapier Racer
30th July 2004, 01:59 AM
Just to say, if you've never had a PS1 it wont be much fun playing the other 3 wipeout games on a PS2 since you can't save your times, unlocked ships etc.

Set
30th July 2004, 02:55 AM
You can, you just need to buy a PS1 memory card and stick it in your PS2 (at least for North American consoles, but it should all be the same). You can get an off-brand memory card for cheap at most electronic stores.

element42
30th July 2004, 09:00 AM
yup: i can confirm that uk PS2 consoles will save PS1 wipeouts with a PS1 memory card.

Hellfire_WZ
30th July 2004, 11:22 AM
http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_15&products_id=308

This might be what you're looking for. Bit pricey, but it looks like it could sort you out just fine. There are plenty of other sites that sell them as well, try running a search for "console to PC monitor" on Yahoo or something.

Rapier Racer
30th July 2004, 01:59 PM
Really??? I wasen't aware PS1 memory cards worked on a PS2, well thanks for that handy peice of advice, I'm off to try that!

Thruster2097
30th July 2004, 10:13 PM
I think youre going to need another graphics card. I got a GeForce 4 MMX440 and it doesnt have a plug to take "video IN"
Suggest you try a WinTV USB thingie. I couldnt get mine to work, but Im told that they work OK on other computers.
I would love to play my PS2 on my 15" TFT computer monitor, but I do have my 42" plasma screen downstairs.. hmmm, decisions, decisions! :wink:

yawnstretch
31st July 2004, 02:01 PM
Damnit - I didnt know that either - goodbye psone!