PDA

View Full Version : Orbital breaking up

Synthetic Consciousness
3rd May 2004, 11:40 AM
[source]: http://www.loopz.co.uk

After 15 years working together as Orbital, Paul and Phil Hartnoll have announced that their forthcoming LP the “Blue Album” will be their last. Following the album’s release on 21st of June, Orbital will play Brixton Academy on 25th of June followed by their last ever English live show, closing the second stage on Sunday June 27th at Glastonbury.

“I think we feel that Orbital has run it’s course,” says Paul Hartnoll. “We’re both pursuing different avenues with our music. And we’ve been sat, as brothers, in the same room for 15 years now–and studios are always confined spaces–I think it’s time for a change.”

:cry:

Shem
3rd May 2004, 12:11 PM
yeah.....sad but true. and there's nothing we can do about it. Leftfield...now Orbital....I hope that Chemical Brothers won't disapear some day in the future (though they will most probably). ...
Damn it. One thought crossed my mind "everything has it's end".... :(

Roger
3rd May 2004, 01:22 PM
Yes, all good things must come to an end - preferrably before the good things turn bad. I'm not saying that the brothers are slipping and therefore ought to quit, but as Paul himself says "it's time for a change".

And Orbital splitting up (or being put on indefinite hold, as I prefer to think of it) doesn't mean that the Hartnolls are quitting music altogether. Think of all the exciting stuff the brothers will be producing in their own, separate projects. I believe the best is yet to come!

Finally, we will always have Orbital's back catalog to enjoy. From the Green album up to the forthcoming Blue, I love them all. Thank you, Phil and Paul! :)

(favourite Orbital song: "Halcyon" - the extended Radiccio EP mix. Pure bliss! 8) )

yuusen
3rd May 2004, 02:07 PM

i agree, roger, let them quit while they are ahead. 'satan' seemed to mark a down turn in quality of ideas for me although many of their tracks after that were still good.

let them be remembered for what they did well. :)

¥

Lance
3rd May 2004, 04:26 PM
damn. they were good. we still have that.
good luck to them in the future; i hope we hear more from them, however they choose to make it, whatever they choose to make

AmishRobot
13th May 2004, 05:04 AM
I have to say that based on their last two albums, I won't miss them. I hope the new album is good, but I'm not expecting much. It's a shame, too... Snivilisation is one of my all time favorites.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, are the guys from Leftfield doind anything anymore, or did they just disappear from the face of the earth?

/edit: After following the link, I think I'll need to hear the new album before passing judgement. With Lisa Gerrard and Sparks guesting, it's at least going to be interesting, if not great.

Ally
17th May 2004, 06:14 PM
I'm going to see them live for the last time at Glastonbury and T In The Park :D

Lance
17th May 2004, 07:30 PM
Ally, is there still an annual music festival at Reading?
[i haven't been keeping up with the concert scene]

Asche XL
29th May 2004, 10:40 PM
Blum Album 8 out of 10.

It's a really good album, grew on me real fast.

AmishRobot
30th May 2004, 02:22 AM
Asche, how did you manage to hear the album? Is it circulating on P2P networks?

There's a video for a song from the album available to download from their site. It's really quite nice. Shame I'll never get to see them live. They look like they put on a hell of a show.

Asche XL
30th May 2004, 06:27 AM
Asche, how did you manage to hear the album? Is it circulating on P2P networks?

There's a video for a song from the album available to download from their site. It's really quite nice. Shame I'll never get to see them live. They look like they put on a hell of a show.

Ebay has been selling copies for a long time now.

Yeah the video is very nice, so is the song (one perfect sunrise), which is feautred on the album. The song in the video is a radio edit version though and is 1/2 the length of the original. It sounds like a Revamped Halcyon which is a very good thing heh

The albums got everything, ambient, techno, trance, breakbeat, silly/jungle, really good wayy to finish things up.

Let's start a petition for a US tour!!