PDA

View Full Version : some futuristic vehicle art

Lance
20th March 2004, 11:21 PM
check out this artist/designer's site, this page in particular:
http://www.danielsimon.net/artdata/ships/spaceshipselector.html
you may find some vehicle design concepts that interest you. don't be fooled by the page addy, only a part of it is 'spaceships', it's mostly ground vehicles and aircraft of a futuristic sort with sometimes a touch of retro, even a dash of steampunk in one or two cases

FoxZero
21st March 2004, 03:04 AM
cool! i like the designs with the retro-40s speed plane look, and the ice train is an interesting concept. my personal favorite is the fourth one on the left, the one with the x wings. very elegant designs with smooth curves, they remind me slightly of some of the clone wars royalty ships. they look like combat planes, it would be interesting to see what his impression of flying racecraft would be.

edit: i guess i dont have to wonder at all (http://www.danielsimon.net/artdata/railton/railton.html)

Shem
21st March 2004, 08:44 AM
wowww, this is a jaw dropper and breaker! just look at the first concept craft on the right - looks kinda like one of our wipeout ships (I don't like the open cabin, but the rest is just marvelousss). ... this designer is awesome!
I sure of one thing - this guy would know what to do wit the craft design for the new wipeout. can you feel it? hm...it wouldn't be possible to somehow recommend this guy to the wipeout developing team, would it (..of course, you can always give it a try, but the rest is up to the "others", meaning the management, and all the people in charge of the new wipeout project).. i guess i'm getting carried away...anyway..that's some idea don't you think?

yuusen
21st March 2004, 10:59 AM

good stuff.

nice, warm look and feel. quite an optimistic view of the future of vehicular technology if a little unrealistic but i strongly doubt that was his intention.

the digital sketches are beatifully realised and there is character in almost every sketch.
-
shem, email him and voice these feelings. if you want something done you dont have to do it yourself if you get the right people to listen.

¥

Shem
21st March 2004, 11:20 AM
good point yuuusen, I can always give it a try.However I'd rather wait for more ppl to state their opinion, don't wanna be the one to blame if this works :wink:

yuusen
21st March 2004, 12:39 PM

yes, i had this thought while replying to your previous post : what if the designer gets commissioned to design the ships and they all turn out to be stylised 40's planes and veryone hates them even more than the ones in fusion. it would certainly justify a few speculations of my own but wouldnt make for fun futuristic racing in my opinion.
-
if i had the back door pass and the technical knowhow, i would love to design the ships for the next wipeout but, alas, i fear that someone more talented in that area may already have the job.

¥

Lance
21st March 2004, 03:47 PM
to echo a couple of sentiments, i had the thought that Daniel Simon would be a good choice for racecraft designer, not on the next Wipeout, which probably already has someone or several someones doing this, but on the neXt next Wipeout.

i love the future retro look of some of the designs, but i may be in the minority, so i'm not sure that it would be accepted by most gamers. the whole cyberpunk/steampunk thing is pretty popular, but possibly not enough for a company seeking to maximise sales.

my favourites among these designs [using the system that the pics would be numbered from top to bottom as 1 to x, and of course columns left and right] are Right1, Left4, Left6, the several racing/combat planes of Left7, Left9, Right9, and Right11. the steampunker in me probably loves Left6 the most of all. it's called icetrain01 in the pic names, and uses the old-19th/20th centuries elemental drive system of the steam engines of the piston type. it doesn't have enough weight over the drive wheels to function well, but it sure looks cool!

some of those planes have mid-mounted propellors of huge diameter. you couldn't land those things, or take off either! they'd only work in zeroG, probably in the center of a rotating space habitat, where you would never have to land, but only dock

edit: oh, man, this is my post number 2097 in the new forum. woohoo. pity there's no post number XL since i play the NTSC version, but... close enough!

yuusen
21st March 2004, 06:17 PM

ive taken a screen grab of you current post number.

consider it immortalised!

¥

zargz
21st March 2004, 10:30 PM
wow! :o :o
lance, dont u dare make a new post no more!! :D :D :D 8) 8) :wink:

Lance
21st March 2004, 11:32 PM
^_____^
i'll keep your recommendation in mind ;)

yuuusen, thank you. your action prompted me to save the page as html, just for posterity

Lion
3rd October 2008, 12:15 PM
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but I saw some of this guy's images in a magazine earlier, and just did a search to see if it had been mentioned here...

looks like there's a book of his designs available now, might have to see if I can find a copy of that.
meanwhile check out his two (http://www.danielsimon.net) sites (http://www.cosmicmotors.com)

of particular interest was:
This, (http://www.danielsimon.net/artdata/magrela/magrela.html) which is part way between formula1 and wipeout.
and this (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=aoRdo-WDtjo) youtube video which shows off some of the other designs pretty well.

A lot of the concept sketches which were discussed when this thread was first created have a lot in common with some of the designs in the wipeout pure concept art

Flashback Jack
3rd October 2008, 01:07 PM
Very cutting edge and elegant designs on Simon's site. His work reminds me of the sleek, rounded designs of Syd Mead (was responsible for the designs of Tron vehicles and was a production designer in Bladerunner).

- F

eLhabib
3rd October 2008, 01:14 PM
Cool! I saw this very book in a Comic Store in Paris, last June - amazing stuff! Unfortunately, the book was more than 40€ iirc, too much for my taste, but I sure would have loved to buy it!

Lion
3rd October 2008, 11:16 PM
His work reminds me of the sleek, rounded designs of Syd Mead (was responsible for the designs of Tron vehicles and was a production designer in Bladerunner).funny you should draw that comparison, looks like syd mead wrote the foreword in simon's book