PDA

View Full Version : WipEout mimics life yet again (Brexit discussion)

Hybrid Divide
24th June 2016, 04:01 PM
Although it's a bit earlier than WipEout's backstory predicted, Britain has exited the EU (FEISAR being the AG arm of the EU), and decides to go its own way (Icaras).

I know, I know. It's a bit of a stretch, but I could't help it. :)

I'm from the western US, so I'm not as in touch with all aspects of the Brexit vote.

Kinda makes me sad, though.

Feel free to discuss. Hope you are all having a good day.

ThoughtfulSystem_95
30th June 2016, 05:46 PM
That's exactly what I thought! I was thinking, "Did WipEout predict the future?"

As for the Brexit thing, I actually did a drawing of it. I'm reluctant to post it here because it might offend some people. But, I swear I don't want to offend people. It's just played for the lulz. :)

Snakenator1
30th June 2016, 06:58 PM
Umm you guys do realise that the lore never said anything about Britain breaking away from the EU? Yes they broke away from FEISAR in favour of Icaras, but that's the research/racing company, not a continental organisation.
If you can find anything saying that yes Britain went independent from any wipeout sources then please do share though, I don't mind being wrong in such a case. But as far as I'm aware wipeout didn't predict this.

ThoughtfulSystem_95
30th June 2016, 09:30 PM
Now that you say that.... I have been doing a little research. WipEout Central said "it is unknown if Britain really broke away from the EU or not." And TV Tropes said that Britain "splintered away from FEISAR and the EU."

I guess I'm on the fence about it though.

Hybrid Divide
4th July 2016, 07:16 AM
Umm you guys do realise that the lore never said anything about Britain breaking away from the EU? Yes they broke away from FEISAR in favour of Icaras, but that's the research/racing company, not a continental organisation.
If you can find anything saying that yes Britain went independent from any wipeout sources then please do share though, I don't mind being wrong in such a case. But as far as I'm aware wipeout didn't predict this.

As far as I know, the lore never said if the UK left the EU. I could see it going either way in the lore, the way it's written.

But Britain splitting from FEISAR to form Icaras is a decently close analogue for their leaving the EU, wouldn't you say? Close enough that I thought of it shortly after I heard the result of the Brexit vote.

I just hope everything turns out ok. That whole turn of events has me worried.

Amaroq Dricaldari
27th October 2016, 07:22 PM
WipEout has become Deus Ex. (The original, not IW/HR/MD)

shotfan
4th November 2016, 08:06 PM
You mean the fact that in the original DX there were World Trade Center towers missing from the New York's skyline? Yeah. And it was released in 2000. Add the backstory bit about bombing of Liberty Statue (the first level even takes place on Liberty Island) and the game cames off as scarily apocalyptic...

As for the main topic: well, I am waiting for when Icaras finally surfaces in real life. Oh wait, there is still no FEISAR yet :lol I wonder in which country it will start...