PDA

View Full Version : Mass Shootings - At a loss for words...

Hybrid Divide
3rd December 2015, 05:59 PM
I'm sure you've all heard about all the mass shootings we've had here in the 'States lately. A lot of them. Hell, TWO yesterday alone!

More than anything, I'm at a loss for words. I just don't get it. Why so much violence? And why is so much of it happening here? (In the USA, not in my area, specifically.)

Not to take away from everything that happened over in Paris last month, of course.

I'm far from a pacifist, but I just don't get it.

(Of course, there is a discussion to be had about the proliferation of guns in this country combined with a mental health system that is sorely lacking, but I feel like there's another answer deeper down.)

This just makes me so angry and sad at the same time.

Thoughts, anybody?

nu9get
4th December 2015, 03:34 PM
People are becoming more and more crazy going on with the times, nowadays everyone is full of stress, angry, tiredness, and a long long list of problems.
So it is beggining to happen that people no longer resist the tantrums and goes mad, does genocides and that type of cruelty, maybe for frustration for the life-status, maybe mental problems, dunno.
I only know tha the world is being well ruined.

Xpand
4th December 2015, 05:53 PM
Hey you make guns easier to get, what do you think? It works both ways in terms of personal security.
Also what nu9get said.

Hybrid Divide
4th December 2015, 06:12 PM
Like I said, a big part of this whole thing is the proliferation of guns combined with lax mental care.

But it's not like guns were really any harder to get 30 years ago, but you didn't see stuff like this happening then.

At least not in schools and the like. Something else has changed.

Xpand
4th December 2015, 06:26 PM
More people own guns today than 30 years ago? Mainly after 9/11 the US went full paranoia, (with a certain amount of reason) after then people live like they're constantly under threat. I'm pretty sure the average citizen felt a lot safer going out at night (unarmed) in the 80's compared to today.

In psychological terms you have mainly fundamentalist mentalities on part of the attackers. They do this for some bigger reason than just to kill people. And with social media and groups these fundies can live isolated from other mindsets, making them not question their own beliefs and adjust to society accordingly.

Hybrid Divide
4th December 2015, 08:42 PM
Indeed. Well said. But sad.

Snakenator1
4th December 2015, 11:19 PM
Its not the guns that are the problem these days, its how they're controlled and in the US its really easy to get one so something like this is bound to happen. Weapons just aren't as controlled in the US when compared to other countries. I had to go through a lot to get my registration to own Realistic imitation firearms here in the UK and my firearms license.

It is very sad to see all these mass murders occur these days, but its not the guns that are the problem; its how easy it is for someone to get their hands on them. The US should rethink how they control weapons without banning them outright because a gun isn't the killer, its the one who wields it. Stricter policies need to be in place so people who enjoy hobbies with firearms can still enjoy such activities while reducing incidents of mass shooting.

Sorry I'm a bit of a avid gun nut. But I send out my thoughts to those affected as it is still a heart breaking event for many.

Thane Corrigan
5th December 2015, 12:11 AM
As Snake said, it's not the gun itself that commits the crime - a gun is just a powerful tool that can cause harm, like a car. If it's in the wrong hands, something will go wrong.

Though I believe the constitution granting the right for citizens to carry a firearm is archaic now - these days, publicly available firearms are being used primarily as a deterrent, for recreation, and to commit crimes. The original point was to provide a militia for protection in the case of another rebellion was necessary, something that is no longer the case... unless you're willing to take up arms against your government, a battle that you'd be guaranteed to lose (they have superior equipment and training). It needs to be updated.
Indeed, the morality of owning a weapon is a difficult debate to hold when the parties advocating the two extremes are unyielding and unable to listen with a rational mindset (e.g. "just try to take my guns away from me, I dare you" attitudes and the like).

It's just tragic that in a world where our differences should be appreciated and celebrated, so many are intolerant and believe the only answer is violence. Or that so many who are unable to cope with the troubles of the modern day don't have adequate care to help them, and lash out.

Snakenator1
5th December 2015, 01:01 PM
Well said Thane, couldn't of said it better myself :clap

Hybrid Divide
6th December 2015, 03:20 AM
I agree, Thane. I never meant to turn this thread into a gun debate, but to try to figure out what has happened of the last few decades that seems to drive more and more people to do this sort of thing.

NeroIcaras
4th January 2016, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=I only know tha the world is being well ruined.[/QUOTE]

The world is already ruined, my friend. The Earth is being destroyed, it's been asking us to leave for a while now.