PDA

View Full Version : I know tis shouldn't be here, but I couldn't find an appropriate place...(WipEout history related)

Rafeku
24th July 2015, 02:30 PM
So I've been reading some articles on Wipeout wiki, looking for the story of the teams and something caught my attetion when it was talking about the FX*** Series(Pure to HD). Not counting the older leagues(F3600, 5000, 7200 and 9000), when the wikia said that some team was to move on to the next league, they meant the older league still does exist(when the other league was built)? Like we have FX300, 350 and 400 up and running? Because comparing this to today we have some "Formulas" and the ones I remember are FIndy and F1(if there are others).

If someone could lighten ths up for me I'd be pleased.
Thx in advance.:)

Jonny
24th July 2015, 04:23 PM
I think in 2185 the FX150 was established, as an amateur series.
In 2195 the plans for the FX300 were published to form the league in 2197, the faith of the FX150 is unknown, but I guess it died out when companies focused on building their own craft, instead of supplying amateurs.
By 2205 the FX300 was "internationalised" with including races outside of Makana.
The FX350 was established as prooving ground for the teams, before the FX400 starts, running in 2206, together with the FX300.
In 2207 the FX400 was started, while the FX350 was kept for another year, hinting that the FX300 end after 2206 and the FX350 will follow after 2207.
My thoughts.

Rafeku
31st July 2015, 09:23 PM
Anyone else interested in sharing your thoughts?

Cipher
31st July 2015, 09:37 PM
I never understood why people try to link a story to wipeout? Apart form some minor track and character descriptions, the game never really had a story, it was just about having fun imho, although i can understand that it can be fun to fantasize about it, why try digging so deep into it for a story that's supported by facts, just use you imagination :)
In one of Einstein's quotes; "Imagination is more important than knowledge." ;)

Cipher

Thane Corrigan
28th August 2015, 08:47 PM
Not sure if I'm technically bringing back a dead thread after a month of no replies, but oh well.

Iunno Cipher, personally I feel like knowing the events in these games take place as part of something much bigger just makes the experience that much richer for me.
Exploring the deeper parts of things that likely will never be shown is just that curiosity for the unknown, and discussing it with others is just fun and fascinating for me.

I think in 2185 the FX150 was established, as an amateur series.
In 2195 the plans for the FX300 were published to form the league in 2197, the faith of the FX150 is unknown, but I guess it died out when companies focused on building their own craft, instead of supplying amateurs.
By 2205 the FX300 was "internationalised" with including races outside of Makana.
The FX350 was established as prooving ground for the teams, before the FX400 starts, running in 2206, together with the FX300.
In 2207 the FX400 was started, while the FX350 was kept for another year, hinting that the FX300 end after 2206 and the FX350 will follow after 2207.
My thoughts.

What Jonny said pretty much sums up the basic idea. Though the way I imagined it was that AG Racing was a much bigger organisation than they showed in the series.

Consider FIA motorsport events today. Formula 1 is the best open-wheel racing event, but there's also Formula 3, where drivers occasionally hope to work their way up towards taking part in F1, and Formula E, the electric eco-friendly racing category.
In my headcanon, the same sort of deal happens in the world of WipeOut behind the scenes.

So F3600, F5000, F7200, F9000, FX300 and FX400 are the Formula 1 equivalent, the best pilots around.
And that leagues similar to FX350 are like an equivalent to Formula 3, running alongside the professionals to introduce perhaps newer pilots and build up new talent for future seasons.

The original AGRC was clearly something new, and all pilots were on par when it came to trying out the new technology as an official sport. I would think a hold-over of AGRC, perhaps rebranded for the newer pilots, might exist when the veterans move onto the F3600.

That's just my opinion though.

Lion
28th August 2015, 10:39 PM
The story I tell myself:
For the F (as opposed to FX) series' I sort of looked at it like so: AG technology was super new, and developing rapidly. There was at least one lower numbered series (not much lower - likely above 3000, as that's a real thing in 2015) but the first one to get widespread attention from the general public was 3600. It's likely that this was basically F3500 or thereabouts, but with weapons. The rules for this class were then essentially locked, but the technology marched on.
As the AG/Propulsion/defense technology got better, it got far enough beyond what was allowed in F3600 that it was necessary to establish a new league to let manufacturers test their wares against each other.. this then got popular enough that it supplanted the previous pinnacle of the sport for viewers (think if the likes of lemans prototype racing got huge and supplanted F1 for viewer numbers). The earlier/lower leagues remain present, but activity started to taper off as attention moved to the latest and greatest. This process repeated a few times, until F9000 when the league was established not because of technological advances, but because the broadcasters wanted to up the ante for viewer numbers. Thus the introduction of all sorts of arbitrary changes and track hazards etc. The collapse of this is well documented.
The lower leagues would still be in action up until this point (albeit in a drastically cut down form), but the collapse of the media giants responsible for the F9000 spectacle initiated a recession so bad it lead to wars. All AG racing basically stopped during this time, but the technology marched on.
On peace becoming the norm again, people started getting back into AG racing, which is where the FX series' came from. The corporations that made their fortunes in military hardware during the bad times (esp Triakis) were the ones that threw the most money at re-legitimising the sport - initially to spur demand for their products. Makana was a proof of concept with placeholder rules imposed on the craft before establishing the big leagues and returning to the global stage. The old cycle of solidifying rules, advancing technology, and pulling viewers forward started up again. Introduction of Fury class racing was an effort to milk more time out of a cycle because defense technologies had moved faster than AG/Propulsion tech, which had started to plateau.

Thane Corrigan
29th August 2015, 01:23 AM
Y'know, that last bit makes a lot of sense. What with the reused tracks, it does very much seem like the Fury class was an extra effort special event programming schedule... Like, "Monday Night Eliminator"?

Or even "Thursday Night VR Series" featuring Zone highlights, Detonator trials, and finally Zone Battle as the top-billing?

What does a guy have to do to get decent quality programming like this? ;)